1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Soldier, Phalanx or Vulture?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by reddishrecue, Dec 21, 2011.

?

Dog Soldier, Phalanx or Vulture?

1. Dog Soldier

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Phalanx

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Vulture

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Always liked the Dog Soldier the most. Resourceless and beats other melee even harder than a normal axe, including other axes themselves. Certainly is weaker against Archers, but for barb protection or just countering someone like Monty's melee heavy stacks if you get attacked early, having that guaranteed unit access is wonderful.

2. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Yup Dogs are the most reliable on deity, with SB we never have to tech Archery (which can be esp annoying on Civs without hunting)

3. Orion Pax

Orion Pax Chieftain

Well that applies to basic spearman too then, and pikemen. The horse archer always seemed to be a catch all mounted unit, kinda representing all mounted horse units of that era (like the horsemen in Civ 2). They just chose to make it an archer. Otherwise it’d be like there is not an actual horseback unit until the Middle Ages, which is of course absurd.

4. dankok

dankok Chieftain

Just saw this old thread. Interesting poll options!

In SP (I play Emperor/Immortal), the strongest is the Vulture. 6 strength means you get an Axerush on steroids. Vultures crush Archers and the Vulture is one of the strongest UU's no doubt it.

In MP, it's kind of close between the Dog and Phalanx. Dogs are amazing defenders and mean you can often forgo Archers. You can rush with 2 Dogs successfully or worst case choke almost any civ. Great unit. Phalanx is awesome too. When you attack a human opponent, they are smart enough to counter Axes with Chariots so if they have Horses I usually build like 7 Axes and 3 Spears for the initial assault. But with Phalanx I can get away with 9 Phalanges and like 1 Spear. A stack with 9 Axes has way more attacking power than one with 7 Axes... Someone said that Phalanx only have 75% chance of winning when defending against Chariots but that's on flatland. When you approach an enemy city, there is often defensive terrain and in that case Phalanx have great odds of winning. If you're not facing hordes of mounted units, Phalanx can win the battle against Chariots and cost effectively to boot. Human players exploit weaknesses and Alex's Phalanx (no one plays Pericles in MP…) is a unit without weaknesses and as such is a great unit. Vultures are third place and kind of weak in MP because you'll be facing Axes and Chariots and losing to both.

Orion Pax and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  5. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

I resent that notion. You dishonor Pericles, and so you dishonor me! I demand satisfaction! I challenge you to a duel!

dankok and Orion Pax like this.
  6. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

It's true that I checked the odds on open Flatland, but the key word here is "often". And Chariots are 2:move: units. Unless there's an unbroken line of defensive terrain you'll have to step on a flatland tile eventually, and I'm assuming that players are far better at exploiting such opportunities than any AI ever could be.