1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogpiled by the AI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ChuckVader, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ChuckVader

ChuckVader Chieftain

In my current game (Pangaea on Emperor, Large map), I’m playing as Askia. I conquered two city-states in order to gain influence over two other city-states who wanted them “taken care of.” My thinking was early in the game it’s hard to come up with the cash to gift to city-states, but you gain a boatload of influence when you eliminate a city-state’s rival.

After conquering the 2nd city-state, I did get a message that the other city-states were “getting worried”, and some of the MPs started denouncing me for my warmongering behavior.

After attacking Germany, the other MPs decided I was a serious threat and all but two of them declared war! Most of the city-states also declared war. Fortunately, their attacks were for the most part ineffective – there were some attacks on the two city-states I conquered, but I was still able to take Berlin. I then redeployed to attack China and was able to take Beijing.

Still, I was surprised by all the DoWs at once – I’d won a domination victory before on Prince and don’t recall an MP ever declaring war on me. It took many, many turns before the other MPs were willing to come to peace. The worst part of the dogpile wasn’t military, but losing the ability to trade and conduct RAs with all the MPs I was at war with.

What are some ways to avoid getting dogpiled like this when you’re going for a domination victory? I avoided making any Declarations of Friendship to avoid the diplomatic fallout that would occur if I went to war with my “friend” later. Are there ways to goad an MP into declaring war on you first? What’s the best way to go to war with one MP at a time without alienating all the other MPs?

2. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Attacking city states is a big diplomatic hit.

3. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

You should expect that if you are going for a conquest win, eventually all the AIs will unite to oppose you.
    That's good strategy by them.

You can delay this by not conquering CSs, which makes other players hate you.

4. vexing

vexing knows

you get one declaration of war for free,
    after that you get warmonger hate.
    conquering anyone (that is taking over their final city, even a city state) earns you a lot of extra hate.

so you've got one strike for warmongering and two more strikes for conquering.
    if any of the AI had made a protection guarantee for one of the city states you conquered, that is extra hate as well.