Doing research into notable (semi-)historical women

Leyrann

Deity
I'm writing a work of fantasy set in the real world (except, obviously, there is hidden magic), and I'm doing history worldbuilding. However, my own knowledge of history is relatively spotty (most of what I know comes from Civilization and things I picked up on these forums), so I figured I'd ask some of the people over here.

I'm looking specifically for notable women in history, in particular those who lived before ~1700 AD (but going back thousands of years). Also, the importance isn't in the actual history, but rather what has been asserted to be true. For example, Arachne (from Greek myth) does not qualify, as she is mythological, but Helen of Troy does qualify, as the Iliad was supposedly a (romanticized) historical account.

To be of interest, people do not need to be rulers, or even have power at all, so long as they were notable for one reason or another.

There are also a number of things that make specific people more interesting, but note that none of these are requirements:
-Women who were called 'king' or some other masculine title or such (e.g. Jadwiga, Tamar).
-Women who died or retired at a relatively young age, say before 40 (e.g. Jeanne d'Arc, Jadwiga).
-Women who were alleged or known to be sexually liberal or even deviant (e.g. Catherine the Great), as well as women who were associated with concubinage or prostitution (e.g. Theodora, wife of Justinian). Note that I don't consider it a 'minus' if someone was instead known to be chaste.
-Women who were alleged to have supernatural powers of some sort, or simply ties to the supernatural (e.g. Jeanne d'Arc, Himiko).
-People whose gender identity was disputed for one reason or another, be it their own insistence, slander, contradicting historical accounts or anything else (no examples that I know of). Big plus. These people are even of interest to me if the consensus among historians is that someone was a guy and allegations of "they're feminine/a woman" were simply slander by their opponents.

Last, offensive militaristic actions or other violent or cruel decisions make people significantly less interesting for my research. For example, Isabella I of Spain would have been interesting, if it weren't for her taking part in the expulsion of Jews and Muslims and creating the Spanish Inquisition. The same does not apply for reactionary actions, such as those from Jeanne d'Arc or Mulan (whose goal was protecting her family, and not fighting).

Also note: I've already considered all of the women featured in Civilization 3, 4, 5 and 6, including the female heroes from the Heroes and Legends game mode in Civ 6.

EDIT: As replies are coming in, I realized I should narrow some things down further. I might have more points here in the future.
-Due to the nature of the story I'm working on, women who made scientific breakthroughs are less interesting (exceptions may occur), whereas tolerance, progressive social values, breaking gender norms, et cetera are a plus.
-Actual real-world fame (both at the time they were alive and in later times) is also a relevant parameter. Basically, the public consciousness affects things in my universe.

Last edited:
Boudica, queen of the Iceni, is a kind of national hero in the UK. In 60AD she lead an uprising against the roman occupation of Britain. She was initially successful, but ultimately failed.

Boudica, queen of the Iceni, is a kind of national hero in the UK. In 60AD she lead an uprising against the roman occupation of Britain. She was initially successful, but ultimately failed.

Tomyris might be of interest to you, although there isn't much known about her.

Thanks for the replies, but I do want to note I'd already considered both of them, as they're featured in Civ 4/5 and Civ 6 respectively.

Then again, for some reason I had overlooked Tomyris as being of interest, so it was useful anyway. EDIT: Actually, now that I'm looking at the leaders for Civ VI, I think I never looked through all of them, ironically despite it being the Civ game I've played the most, so I guess that's what I'm going to do right now.

I guess Hildegard von Bingen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_of_Bingen would qualify, since she's also known as a "mystic", besides her medical work.

Out of the time range would be Ada Lovelace https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace , one of the first "computer scientists" (if you consider the analytical machine a real computer)... I don't know if you'd consider something steam-punky, that would certainly fit.

Hildegard of Bingen looks interesting, thanks for the link.

As for Ada Lovelace, she is indeed outside the time range, but the suggestion made me realize that I should probably specify that (due to the context of the story I'm writing) I'm not really looking for women who made important scientific breakthroughs, but rather those who led well or pushed for reforms, so I'm going to edit that into the message. Not taking anything away from their achievements, of course. Just not what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Ah, sure.
Since I'm currently watching "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" on Netflix... what about Anne Bonny https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Bonny ?
With pirate society being rather progressive and democratic in some way this might be suitable.

Oooh, thanks for a bunch more replies.

I won't bother replying individually to every one of them (plus I decided against including some people in my worldbuilding anyway), but I want to note that Malinche is actually a really good fit so long as you take a favorable interpretation of her as a person (which, based on her Wikipedia article, seems reasonably common).

Weird question - there are literally millions.

If you want to do something interesting and revealing, just pick your favorite male historical figures and do more extensive research on them. You'll eventually find that much of what is attributed to them was really the work of their wives, sisters, or mothers, and it'd be super cool to bring some of that to light and give credit to those women.

Weird question - there are literally millions.

If you want to do something interesting and revealing, just pick your favorite male historical figures and do more extensive research on them. You'll eventually find that much of what is attributed to them was really the work of their wives, sisters, or mothers, and it'd be super cool to bring some of that to light and give credit to those women.

The issue is that actual, real-world fame (both at the time and in later years) also plays a role in whether or not someone is suitable for the worldbuilding stuff that I'm doing, and not just the actual events. Which I should probably make explicit in the post.

I'm still confused why you're posting this here - you could easily get thousands and thousands of results with a quick Google search. This sounds like a personal research project.

The OP posted in the history questions thread, and was advised to post here.

This might be outside your historical window, it was the early 18th Century: Yim Wing Chun, a student of Ng Mui, who was one of the 5 surviving elders of the Shaolin Temple after it was sacked by the Qing Emperor. Yim Wing Chun herself became a folk hero and invented the style of wushu called Wing Chun. Michelle Yeoh played her in a movie in 1994, opposite Donnie Yen. 200 years later, the greatest practitioner of Yim Wing Chun's style was Ip Man, played in movies by Donnie Yen. Ip Man's greatest student was a fella by the name of Bruce Lee. Yim Wing Chun -> Ip Man -> Bruce Lee.

Also, the White Crane style of Kung Fu was invented by a woman, Fang Qiniang, in the 14th C.

I'm still confused why you're posting this here - you could easily get thousands and thousands of results with a quick Google search. This sounds like a personal research project.

It is indeed a personal research project, but I figured I might as well ask around on a forum with people likely to be able to point me in the right direction, in particular one that I've been quite active on, albeit not in this subforum. After all, this would be rather quicker than wading through perhaps hundreds if not thousands of Wikipedia articles trying to find the ones that match the specific profile I'm looking for (which is significantly narrower than just "influential woman in history").

You absolutely don't need to help if you think it's a waste of time or something like that. I'm effectively asking people if they're willing to indulge me for free, so it's not like I'm in a position to demand anything. :dunno:

I'm writing a work of fantasy set in the real world (except, obviously, there is hidden magic), and I'm doing history worldbuilding. However, my own knowledge of history is relatively spotty (most of what I know comes from Civilization and things I picked up on these forums), so I figured I'd ask some of the people over here.

I'm looking specifically for notable women in history, in particular those who lived before ~1700 AD (but going back thousands of years). Also, the importance isn't in the actual history, but rather what has been asserted to be true. For example, Arachne (from Greek myth) does not qualify, as she is mythological, but Helen of Troy does qualify, as the Iliad was supposedly a (romanticized) historical account.

To be of interest, people do not need to be rulers, or even have power at all, so long as they were notable for one reason or another.

There are also a number of things that make specific people more interesting, but note that none of these are requirements:
-Women who were called 'king' or some other masculine title or such (e.g. Jadwiga, Tamar).
-Women who died or retired at a relatively young age, say before 40 (e.g. Jeanne d'Arc, Jadwiga).
-Women who were alleged or known to be sexually liberal or even deviant (e.g. Catherine the Great), as well as women who were associated with concubinage or prostitution (e.g. Theodora, wife of Justinian). Note that I don't consider it a 'minus' if someone was instead known to be chaste.
-Women who were alleged to have supernatural powers of some sort, or simply ties to the supernatural (e.g. Jeanne d'Arc, Himiko).
-People whose gender identity was disputed for one reason or another, be it their own insistence, slander, contradicting historical accounts or anything else (no examples that I know of). Big plus. These people are even of interest to me if the consensus among historians is that someone was a guy and allegations of "they're feminine/a woman" were simply slander by their opponents.

Last, offensive militaristic actions or other violent or cruel decisions make people significantly less interesting for my research. For example, Isabella I of Spain would have been interesting, if it weren't for her taking part in the expulsion of Jews and Muslims and creating the Spanish Inquisition. The same does not apply for reactionary actions, such as those from Jeanne d'Arc or Mulan (whose goal was protecting her family, and not fighting).

Also note: I've already considered all of the women featured in Civilization 3, 4, 5 and 6, including the female heroes from the Heroes and Legends game mode in Civ 6.

EDIT: As replies are coming in, I realized I should narrow some things down further. I might have more points here in the future.
-Due to the nature of the story I'm working on, women who made scientific breakthroughs are less interesting (exceptions may occur), whereas tolerance, progressive social values, breaking gender norms, et cetera are a plus.
-Actual real-world fame (both at the time they were alive and in later times) is also a relevant parameter. Basically, the public consciousness affects things in my universe.

You gotta have a reference to Sappho in there as some sort of god-tier ancient magic practitioner.

Top Bottom