[GS] Doing the math on remaining uniques

I figured it might be fun to speculate on the remaining uniques during the holiday season. This is the text:

"Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor."

So far 5 UUs have been announced (2 for Hungary, 1 each for Canada, and the Inca and Maori). I think this means if Eleanor is indeed part of the game, or whoever the new leader is, they won't be getting a UU as I don't think they'd release a civ without one.

For the UIs, as far as I remember @Eagle Pursuit mentioned that the Inca unique tunnel isn't part of these numbers. Canada has the ice hockey rink, the Inca have the terrace farm, and the Maori have the pa, so I think that covers all 3, unless the pa is in a separate category.

For the unique buildings, 2 have been announced out of the 4 (Hungary's thermal baths and the Maori's marae). So 2 remaining.

No unique districts have been announced, and the same goes for the governor.

Assuming only the civs will get UUs (each getting 1), the remaining uniques are:

2 buildings
2 districts
1 governor
Possibly 1 UI depending on the pa's category - I think it counts as a UI though

The remaining civs are Mali, Phoenicia, Sweden and the Ottomans, and the leader is Eleanor according to the leak.

It's hard to imagine a civ without either a unique building or district, though it's definitely possible. Could Eleanor or the mystery leader could come with a unique governor? Personally I thought the Ottomans would get the governor, but now I'm not so sure, unless there are uniques missing in the numbers.

Thought it might be fun to make our predictions and see how they unfold :) I'd go with:

Sweden: A campus or holy site building?
Mali: A market replacement
Ottomans: Commercial hub replacement
Phoenicia: I think I'll go with harbor replacement, though I wonder if they'd do that since as far as I remember no districts have more than 1 unique replacement at the moment? Could they be adding a new one, or might they replace the canal and allow it to serve as both a regular canal but also be used as something completely different.

Do you think they'll be bolder with the remaining choices and have some civs with no unique building or district, or ones without UUs?

Last edited:
Looks as though the Civ that gets the unique governor doesn't get unique infrastructure...

Looks as though the Civ that gets the unique governor doesn't get unique infrastructure...

Yup definitely, my initial thought was that the Ottomans would get a grand vizier governor. I suppose not having unique infrastructure would be a step they'd definitely consider.

Last edited:
I doubt the Cothon is going to be a harbour that you built on (coastal) land tiles. What's going to happen if you conquer one? :p I also doubt it replaces the CH, since it gives bonus gold to CHs just as harbours do. Though, I'd preferred if it did the latter with a restriction to coastal land tiles, but oh well! It would have also solved the problem of conquering one. And it could function as a canal.

I wonder if on of the UA's could be that they can buy the UU of a civ they have a trade route to and have the tech/civ for (looking at you Phoenicia). They wouldn't need their own UU and another civ could have 2UU's
Could the Cothon be a UI?

What I find interesting is that they said there would be 5 new districts

We have had two general districts (Dam and Canal)

So there maybe 3 unique districts unless there is a new general one we don't know about yet (the ski resort and seasteads have been confirmed as tile improvements)

What districts don't have a unique yet?

- Governor Plaza
- Aerodrome
- Commercial Harbor (this is either Mali or Ottomans, for sure)

That's it, right? Aerodrome seems unlikely, since Sweden is the only 'modern' civ unrevealed. A unique Givernor Plaza could be really interesting.

What districts don't have a unique yet?

- Governor Plaza
- Aerodrome
- Commercial Harbor (this is either Mali or Ottomans, for sure)

That's it, right? Aerodrome seems unlikely, since Sweden is the only 'modern' civ unrevealed. A unique Givernor Plaza could be really interesting.

Also the new Dam and Canal

By my count, there are 4 civs left and 4 pieces of unique infrastructure left. 2 buildings and 2 districts. So all remaining should get some piece of infrastructure.

There are also enough UUs left for each civ to get just one.

And one civ gets the unique governor extra, not in place of a UU or infrastructure.

I think there is nearly zero chance that Eleanor gets anything but a unique leader ability. Look at Chandragupta/Ghandi (both share stepwell and varu) or Gorgo/Pericles (both share acropolis and hoplite).

That comfortably leaves room for infrastructure and units for all the new civs.

If Sweden gets abilities focusing on great people generation then a royal academy is the only thing that really makes sense, it could be part of the campus or a separate thing. There aren't that many buildings that distinguish themselves as particularly Swedish, but I have thought of a few. A bruk is a large industrial area that focuses on processing or extracting of raw resources, e.g skogsbruk (forest logging), gruvbruk (mining) etc. Another candidate would be a skans, a kind of outdoor museum with animals, buildings and cultural artefacts gathered from around the country and open to public display. Could replace the zoo.

Last edited:
I think there is nearly zero chance that Eleanor gets anything but a unique leader ability. Look at Chandragupta/Ghandi (both share stepwell and varu) or Gorgo/Pericles (both share acropolis and hoplite).

That comfortably leaves room for infrastructure and units for all the new civs.
In theory she could still get the unique governor, but I think Sweden and the Ottomans are likelier candidates.

The unique governor will most likely be a specific historical figure, the same way the regular governors all have names, ethnicities and so on -- you don't hire a surveyor, you hire Liang.

If that's the case, my guess is the governor will be part of a leader ability, and it will be someone with a significant political relationship with one of the new leaders.

Ibrahim Pasha (Suleiman), Axel Oxenstierna (Kristina) or Peter Minuit (also Kristina) would be my guesses, with Oxenstierna at #1.

I can only see a unique government plaza in combination with the unique governor, to make up for only being able to build your unique infrastructure once. :p
I understand the feeling behind this, but I don't agree. I think the developers would make a unique government plaza very powerful. It is like a wonder that only you can build.

I don't see Eleanor getting an unique unit, infrastructure, or governor, so as it stands we have a perfect four in each category to go to the remaining Civs with a governor going to one also.

My bet for the Unique governor might be Roxelana for the Ottomans, based on the error of the first leak regarding the Ottoman's leader.

Top Bottom