[GS] Doing the math on remaining uniques

I can't remember if that was me before or someone else but I defiantly said that at some point whether I was first to do so or not. I for one would love for them to finally have the Baray District to replace the Aqueduct; or even Dam if need be, it will look so much better and will make much more sense for the Khmer. Even if this means giving the Prasat's bonuses to the Civilization ability I will be fine with (the graphic for the Prasat looks too similar to the palace graphic anyway.)
I would keep the Prasat and add the Baray District as part of the UA since it's already called Grand Barays. Other Civs now have two unique infrastructure and this would help the Khmer, in my opinion. Even if it doesn't, the ability would make more since with the new dam than the aqueduct in the first place.

I can't remember if that was me before or someone else but I defiantly said that at some point whether I was first to do so or not. I for one would love for them to finally have the Baray District to replace the Aqueduct; or even Dam if need be, it will look so much better and will make much more sense for the Khmer. Even if this means giving the Prasat's bonuses to the Civilization ability I will be fine with (the graphic for the Prasat looks too similar to the palace graphic anyway.)

I mean, it wouldn't be too hard to have the "Grand Baray" ability simple be "civ ability to build a Baray, a unique district which replaces ..."

I would keep the Prasat and add the Baray District as part of the UA since it's already called Grand Barays. Other Civs now have two unique infrastructure and this would help the Khmer, in my opinion. Even if it doesn't, the ability would make more since with the new dam than the aqueduct in the first place.

I agree it makes more sense as a UA, but that is interesting that it would be the first UD to be an ability and not an infrastructure.

Another option is that there is a mod which adds building tiers to acqueducts like the other districts. You could make the baray a building instead of a district.

As an aside, it bothers me now that Hungary shares a unique infrastructure with Rome and a unique unit with Poland. I feel like that should be changed in the future. Give Poland an Uhlan UU. And pick a different Roman unique. I always thought the acqueduct stood out as something that should have been a UI for Rome rather than a universal district.

Well, I'd been punting the idea of a baray for a Khmer civ since Civ V over in Ideas & Suggestions, so I'd be a fan. Barays are more along the lines of a reservoir than an aqueduct.

'Course, Angkor Wat might need to be updated to accompany such a change.

A few posts in this thread gave me a thought:

Perhaps the unique governor is being added to an existing civ rather than to a new GS civ. Maybe Rome or Egypt?

What if the Roman Bath were removed and replaced with a UG?

I mean, it wouldn't be too hard to have the "Grand Baray" ability simple be "civ ability to build a Baray, a unique district which replaces ..."

agree it makes more sense as a UA, but that is interesting that it would be the first UD to be an ability and not an infrastructure.

Grand Barays: Gives the Khmer the ability to build a Baray, a unique District that replaces the Dam. Farms receive +2 Food if adjacent to a Baray.

As for the Baray: A Baray provides +3 Faith and +2 Amenity. It will also prevent river flooding and droughts.

Almost word for word, though replacing the word Aqueduct with Baray, while still keeping in the original abilities.

Grand Barays: Gives the Khmer the ability to build a Baray, a unique District that replaces the Dam. Farms receive +2 Food if adjacent to a Baray.

As for the Baray: A Baray provides +3 Faith and +2 Amenity. It will also prevent river flooding and droughts.

Almost word for word, though replacing the word Aqueduct with Baray, while still keeping in the original abilities.
But also include the fact that you can have multiple Barays per river.

Perhaps the unique governor is being added to an existing civ rather than to a new GS civ. Maybe Rome or Egypt?

So the UG as a Consul?, while it does fit Rome to get the UG it would make it very bloated as a civ, and as you suggest something's gotta give (in this case the bath). I think Rome would be a good candidate too it if we knew it was getting a new leader (maybe one from the Republic to boost).

In all honestly I want Eleonor to get the governor and have him represent medieval hereditary branches. One side for Plantagenet and the other for Capet. And make that governor all about taking city states via diplomatic and cultural pressure, similar to Austria or Venice on civ5. Heck I would love it if a fully upgraded governor would allow you to exert that pressure on cities form another civ (like city flipping minus the rebel period). It would allow for 100 years war style scenarios, and overall allow you to play both England and France with more of a medieval flavor.

I am pretty sure we know Rome is keeping the Bath as I think ot was saidd that the new geothermal fissures provide extra amenities to it and the regular aqueduct.
There is a possibility that a UG could replace an infrastructure like the Ottomans because many “unique” infrastructures are already taken by other Civs, like a bathhouse by the ones mentioned above, though I prefer it not to be.

I would be shocked if the Ottomans don't get a Unique Governor - a vizier or something like that. It's one of the most famous advisor/government positions in history, and I don't see Phoenicia or Eleanor having a more suitable candidate.

I would be shocked if the Ottomans don't get a Unique Governor - a vizier or something like that. It's one of the most famous advisor/government positions in history, and I don't see Phoenicia or Eleanor having a more suitable candidate.

Eleonor could get a Seneschal as the governor, while you are correct a Vizier would be really recognizable (and I wouldn't mind it TBH) Eleonor is not without candidates.

The vizier would still need a name since all governors are refered to as „Name the Function“

Like I've said before, the focus of speculation is better served by focusing on the mechanical impetus, not the historical.

Viziers, seneschals, troubadours....Any thought given to *why* a new governor of all mechanisms?

Like I've said before, the focus of speculation is better served by focusing on the mechanical impetus, not the historical.

Viziers, seneschals, troubadours....Any thought given to *why* a new governor of all mechanisms?
That‘s why I think we‘ll get Barbarossa the Corsair as unique governor for the Ottomans with a promotion tree focused on naval warfare, pirating and maritime cities.

That‘s why I think we‘ll get Barbarossa as unique governor for the Ottomans with a promotion tree focused on naval warfare, pirating and maritime cities.
See, that's good thinking. Some kind of pirate-king governor, which wouldn't work as a generic governor.

Another question is whether the vizier (or whoever it is) would be in addition to the existing 7 governors, or replacing one of them. Before GS I would think the former, but now that we've seen civs with drawbacks and unique rules, I'm leaning towards replacing. So which governor would be replaced? Kinda depends on what the focus of the civ is - science, culture, religion, naval domination, etc.
Could it be Magnus?

Another question is whether the vizier (or whoever it is) would be in addition to the existing 7 governors, or replacing one of them. Before GS I would think the former, but now that we've seen civs with drawbacks and unique rules, I'm leaning towards replacing. So which governor would be replaced? Kinda depends on what the focus of the civ is - science, culture, religion, naval domination, etc.
Could it be Magnus?

I am inclined to think, if the vizier is the UG and replaces any other, it would be Magnus the replaced. Magnus is the Steward, and that is the closest to a vizier I think. But it could replace Victor, for a more militaristic approach of the vizier. And both ways could have a link with the Ottomans, if their UA is called Devshirme (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devshirme). It could make interesting gameplay.

Maybe the earlier canal for China is a unique district? They have to make a new graphics for it, so might as well make it unique? Just like Inca has earlier tunnel as UI.

Could it be Magnus?
Yeah, I threw this out earlier in the thread and it kind of went in circles.

It may well be that a new governor is a means rather than and ends. For instance, the civ UA may simply grant more governor promotions, and a new governor helps to not just wind up filling out the existing ones. Gives you some room to spread'em around.

Having an extra governor and no extra promotions just means choosing X instead of Y. It would have to strongly compliment the civ's playstyle as a whole. For instance, a domination civ with a governor that you place in a conquered city to help press the war effort.

Top Bottom