Dolen2's Ethnic Diversity

Dolen2

Chieftain
Originally created by Gedemon, improved by Nutty, now modified by me with new models for Vox Populi.
This mod adds even more unique models for different cultures and eras, and units added by VP.

DOWNLOAD (Google Drive Link)
Compatible with 3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP

Showcase
Spoiler Colonial England :

Spoiler India :

Spoiler China :

Spoiler Lawrence of Arabia style :

Spoiler Denmark WW2 :

Spoiler the Celts :

Spoiler Gunpowder Japan :

Spoiler Ottomans and Poland :

Spoiler Colonial era and WW2 Netherlands :

Graphics Settings (!!! IMPORTANT !!!)
Civ5 is a rather old game, and can't handle much in terms of resource.
Sadly, you need to turn down graphics settings so that you won't experience textures glitching out.
You have to choose here, slightly less detailed terrains or almost full culture diversity.

It needs to look like this
Spoiler Graphics Settings :

I've had no problem so far with this setup

-- Credits and Thanks --

- Nutty for giving me permission and prior work
- Europa Barbarorum 2 Team for models
- Gedemon, for the great R.E.D. Modpack without which this mod would not exist
- special thanks to Tomahawk.nsk for ideas and bug testing!
- the community of Civ5 unit modelers and converters at CivFanatics, including:
bernie14, blazekid87, Civitar, danrell, Deliverator, Ekmek, hangman, JTitan, Kwadjh, Nutty, Patum333, snafusmith, Wolfdog, and zwei833
- Civ4 and RTW unit makers that have allowed conversion of their models to Civ5, including:
Ambrox62, asioasioasio, Bakuel, Coffee Junkie, Generalmatt, nautil, Nuvoloblu, Oleg153, Rabbit,White, Splinter13, and all other unit makers for the models and conversions
- Deliverator, lemmy101, and CaptainBinky for their work on unit conversion tools
- seZereth and Porges, who created the initial regiment mod for Civ4
- Pazyryk for SQL corrections

Last edited:
Mod seems to not be able to work on DX9 with the tiles all grey and the game crashing on movement.
edit: actually seems to be a compatibility issue
-Promotional Flags for EUI causes resource glitches
-Infoaddict v.22 causes the grey squares glitch

Last edited:
Thanks for this mod Dolen2. Could you explain how your mod is different from the Ethnic Diversity Unit Pack, which I am currently running.

The Ethnic Unit Diversity Pack is 152 mb for all three files. Your mod is 256 for all three files. Does this mean that you mod will be more difficult to run?

Thanks for this mod Dolen2. Could you explain how your mod is different from the Ethnic Diversity Unit Pack, which I am currently running.

The Ethnic Unit Diversity Pack is 152 mb for all three files. Your mod is 256 for all three files. Does this mean that you mod will be more difficult to run?

Thats a good question.

Far more diversity between different civs and eras.
The original ED was somewhat lacking in diversity in specific civs and eras (the Celts, Poland, city states using vanilla models, industrial era and onward etc.), I guess partly to help performance.
This mod changes that adding additional models as you can find them in Showcase, more importantly models for VP original units like Tercio.

YES, it could have a larger impact on stability and performance, however I've had little problem so far with the graphics setup mentioned in OP.
I've done my best to optimize it by removing duplicate vertexes and reducing texture size.

Last edited:
Without those two mods, no issues?
Works without those mods! I think the compatibility file might be kind of huge at the moment. It supports a few things that vox populi doesnt really support, but the whole mod is great. I've gotten up to the enlightenment era so far with no crashes as long as I dont tab out.

I feel like future worlds and prehistoric era could be cut from the mod entirely, since there is no compatible versions for the current iteration of vox. The mod works perfectly with the EE mod for vox.
I think you could roll the mod compatibility mod into the main version, as some of the units in there are for vox populi + some modded content is already in the main file(2h swordsman)

I just encountered a reproducible crash on AI Sukhothai's turn, attributed to this mod.
If you experience crashes, please report here.

я только что столкнулся с воспроизводимым сбоем на повороте AI Sukhothai, приписываемым этому моду.
Если вы столкнулись с авариями, пожалуйста, сообщите об этом здесь.[/ЦИТАТА]
у меня нет текстуры пушки у России и когда создаешь пушку просто иконка отображает и когда на нее нажимаешь игра вылетает

я только что столкнулся с воспроизводимым сбоем на повороте AI Sukhothai, приписываемым этому моду.
Если вы столкнулись с авариями, пожалуйста, сообщите об этом здесь.[/ЦИТАТА]
помогите решить проблему мод просто офигенный))

Oh man, excited to give this a go!

Alright! Just got a chance to give it a go. Indeed it doesn't work with Promotion Flags for EUI, but that's fine. But Does anyone have an idea what this might be from? https://imgur.com/a/WKpV2Ta - it only occurs the city screen

Also oh man, it's so nice having unique models for everything. This + cultural diversity (ethnic voices) is the perfect combo

(by the way, I assume we have to load all 3 mods? [Vanilla size, mods compat, Ethnic Units])?

edit: that's weird, woke up this morning and tried again, and now this issue with the weird hexes is gone. Dunno what I did, but there ya go.

EditEdit: Well as far as I can tell, it was the Music Changer mod which caused the issue. lol.

Editeditedit: Nevermind :|. Its really inconsistent. Sometimes leaderscenes will be totally replaces by promotion icon atlases, or a unit's Icon will be a black square. But not always! I don't get it. I guess it's some other mod I'm using, but I can't imagine what. I guess I'll upload a photo if anyone is curious: https://imgur.com/a/kEnSebx

Last edited:
^ Isn't it just one of the many bugs related to hitting the wall with memory?

So I take it you should not combine this mod with 2k terrain textures? Shame as vanilla texs are outdated, not even thinking about lowering the settings.

^ Isn't it just one of the many bugs related to hitting the wall with memory?

So I take it you should not combine this mod with 2k terrain textures? Shame as vanilla texs are outdated, not even thinking about lowering the settings.
Yup, exactly. You can get further until the weird artefacts appear if you decrease the number of active mods, size of the map/number of civs, lower the graphic settings or play in DX9, but sadly the terrain mods or mods adding units are memory-heavy.

Top Bottom