Domestic Advisor Screen

gomezfett

Chieftain
I can't access to the domestic advisor screen. I click the button but nothing happens... I have also tried to use F1 key, but it doesn't work neither. The rest of advisor screens works perfectly, both buttons and function keys.

I'm using SVN. Could you help me?

Thanks.

You likely play with Toffer's modmod.

Not sure if @gomezfett does.
No, I don't play any modmod. I've tried erasing the hole C2C folder and copy again all the SVN updates to a new one (the folder's name is Caveman2Cosmos, so it isn't the problem), but it doesn't work neither. Do you regard to this when you talk about "do a clean install of SVN"?

No, I don't play any modmod. I've tried erasing the hole C2C folder and copy again all the SVN updates to a new one (the folder's name is Caveman2Cosmos, so it isn't the problem), but it doesn't work neither. Do you regard to this when you talk about "do a clean install of SVN"?
I guess you need to wait for Toffer when he fixes bugs.

I could save some time if anyone could share the python error log for the error. There's gotta be an error that is stopping the screen from opening.

@gomezfett follow this guide by @Toffer90.
To get pop-ups about python errors in-game you can in your %USER%\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini
change this setting from 1 to 0 .
HidePythonExceptions = 0
The pop-ups will tell you what the error was whenever something is written into the PythonErr.log.

In BUG options, under the system tab, you can find an option for the level of python logging to the pythonDbg.log file.
Set it to the "Debug" level.
The pythonDbg.log file can help me understand what happened in code at the time the error occured.
But it is important that you alt+tab out of the game whenever you get a python error message and secure the pythonDbg.log (make a copy of it) file before doing anything else in your game, that way the last lines in the pythonDbg.log file is what happened in code right before the error message popped up.

The screen logging level is not important, I have it set at "Info". It shows python debugging info in the message window right below your research bar.

The error says:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini"

This is the python code line that is failing:
file = open("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini", "w") ### w stands for write permission requested.

You may want to check if the game folder is set to "read only", also look at the permissions found in the security tab for the folder properties.
I'll back up a bit... right click the Caveman2Cosmos folder and select "properties" in the context menu, it should be close to, or at, the bottom of the list.

On the first page of the new window there should be a read only check box, make sure it is un-ticked. Then look at the security tab at the permission stuff.
Do apply changes to all sub-folders and files if it asks for it when you apply the changes.
Last thing... right click your Beyond the sword exe file and check its properties too, tick the run as administrator checkbox.

I believe the error lies in one of these technicalities.

If all else fails, try installing beyond the sword closer to the root of the hard-drive., the file path address may be too long...
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini"

Last edited:
The error says:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini"

That error means you don't have write access, if I remember correctly. Make sure you are running as administrator.

The error says:

This is the python code line that is failing:
file = open("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini", "w") ### w stands for write permission requested.

You may want to check if the game folder is set to "read only", also look at the permissions found in the security tab for the folder properties.
I'll back up a bit... right click the Caveman2Cosmos folder and select "properties" in the context menu, it should be close to, or at, the bottom of the list.

On the first page of the new window there should be a read only check box, make sure it is un-ticked. Then look at the security tab at the permission stuff.
Do apply changes to all sub-folders and files if it asks for it when you apply the changes.
Last thing... right click your Beyond the sword exe file and check its properties too, tick the run as administrator checkbox.

I believe the error lies in one of these technicalities.

If all else fails, try installing beyond the sword closer to the root of the hard-drive., the file path address may be too long...
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\\Beyond the Sword\\Mods\\Caveman2Cosmos\\UserSettings\\BUG Main Interface.ini"
I've just done all you said, but the bug still exists. This is the text of the python error log when I click in the domestic advisor button:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 176, in showDomesticAdvisor

File "CvCustomizableDomesticAdvisor", line 766, in interfaceScreen

File "CvCustomizableDomesticAdvisor", line 566, in createDictionaries

File "<string>", line 1

u"

^

SyntaxError: EOL while scanning single-quoted string
ERR: Python function showDomesticAdvisor failed, module CvScreensInterface

I must insist, that only happens with the domestic advisor screen. The rest of advisor screens works perfectly

The first time the domestic advisor screen is loaded it builds up the ini files that it uses from the default ones. This is why I said you need administrator access and must run Civ in admin mode. As far as I know it is the only one of the Advisor screens that writes anything.

Note: BUG also needs you to have admin access. If you have logging on and are not in admin mode you will also get lots of messages in the message/turn news area when you start the game. You will not be able to save any BUG options either.

I've just done all you said, but the bug still exists. This is the text of the python error log when I click in the domestic advisor button:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 176, in showDomesticAdvisor

File "CvCustomizableDomesticAdvisor", line 766, in interfaceScreen

File "CvCustomizableDomesticAdvisor", line 566, in createDictionaries

File "<string>", line 1

u"

^

SyntaxError: EOL while scanning single-quoted string
ERR: Python function showDomesticAdvisor failed, module CvScreensInterface
Ok, that error I can work with, it probably points to an idiotic syntax mistake I made in my last commit there. Will look at it asap.

Edit: Should be fixed now in svn rev. 10194

The first time the domestic advisor screen is loaded it builds up the ini files that it uses from the default ones. This is why I said you need administrator access and must run Civ in admin mode. As far as I know it is the only one of the Advisor screens that writes anything.

Note: BUG also needs you to have admin access. If you have logging on and are not in admin mode you will also get lots of messages in the message/turn news area when you start the game. You will not be able to save any BUG options either.
Yes, I did it as Toffer said to me.

Top Bottom