1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

domestic advisor - trade routes

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by inaiwae, May 3, 2021.

1. inaiwae

inaiwae Chieftain

how everyone manages their trade routes and movement of cargo around ? I am getting to the point that I cannot rely on my memory and am getting a bit overwhelmed

tried to use the screen in question, but was welcomed by quite a number of red "thou shall not pass" icons
    da-trade_routes-red.JPG

after making some sense of it with old save with only few transports and few cities, it seems the concept is nice, but

1) screens stops working with many transports and many routes (I can no longer +/- yields from transport)
    2) I cannot center on transport unit from that screen, making it almost impossible to find the right unit and edit trade route that way

also, I removed the red icon from the screen, to make it more visually appealing, it's pretty obvious even without the icon, which route is forbidden for that type of transport
    da-trade_routes-nored.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. inaiwae

inaiwae Chieftain

so, just furnishing this screen to my needs and remove clutter, I eliminated Europe as a destination (I don't used it for trade routes anyway), eliminated sea units (the same reason) ... in other words, turned it to domestic land based trade routes overview, even removed all transports row as I don't need it ... still as soon as I scroll down I no longer can highlight transport to bring +/- buttons to modify existing trade route ... I can highlight if I do not scroll down ... is it vanilla issue ?

3. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Simple Excel Spread Sheets where you can also plan things for your empire <where needed>. :)

Spoiler :
    Planning and optimizing your empire manually is half of the fun. :thumbsup:
    It is also a great training for your brain if you memorize a little bit.

And most importantly: The Automated Trade Routes are inefficient.
    They are simply way inferior to the planning and situational reacting I do manually.
    • It is not just about "shortest path" problems
    • It is also about "current offer and demand" problems.
    • It is also about "predicting future offer and demand" problems.
    • It is about "highest value / need problems" (e.g. which Yield is most needed)
    • It is about "storage capacity problems" (e.g. Transport and City)
    • It is about "ideal distribution problems" (not just duping first valid place)
    All of that changes all the time with every turn.
    Way too complex to expect sufficient results if you simply set some automated Trade Routes ...

-----

But of course I know that only few people like to play "micromanagement style". :crazyeye:
    Since both methods are possible and do not contradict everything is fine for me.

But I really do not even know how this Advisor or Automated Trade Routes work. :dunno:
    Thus I am also absolutely indifferent to any changes to it.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I completely forgot about that issue. It's like there is an invisible overlay, which prevents clicking. Nobody knows why and it's specific to that page.

I'm not sure I will bother to improve that page. It seems like a major task if it is to be made good. I would rather spend the time on making a brand new traderoute system from scratch. Comments are always welcome.

I started to refactor (well rewrite) the domestic advisor and move each page to a new file. One file for each page makes it easier to read the code and find bugs. Progress is paused at the moment though. That doesn't mean nobody else can work on the pages, which have yet to be moved to the new system.

In addition to making the code more readable and much easier to work with for modders, the goal is to get rid of some bugs and make the code much faster. Right now there is lag when opening the DA because it draws all columns and then hide the ones it's not using. The new system will wait to draw columns for a page until that page is opened, hence spreading out the lag to such a degree that the player shouldn't notice it.