Domestic Issues (and some military)

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Time to crack the whip! :sheep: :whipped:

Workers - I'm beginning to think 11 is our favorite number. Everytime I look at a demogame, we have 11 workers. We need more workers! :p We currently have 1 worker per city. I would prefer 2 workers per city. Also, two workers can finish a terrain improvement in 1 turn.

Placement of Capital - Our capital is in the boondocks! Some of our most productive cities are all around Old Sarai. Old Sarai would make a nice capital, and make the surrounding cities have less maintainance. I count several -5 and -6 maintainance cities on our border, and that's with courthouses!

Upgrades - We do have enough gold to upgrade some of those outdated spears and other units on our border.

City Placement - Ok, so Fort Impervious can't be re-placed (was it a Mongolian city?) - or Const. Falls for that matter - but, 2 NE of Fort Imp. would've been much better to grab those extra hills. We could possibly slip another city or two NE and SE of Toot, as well. The bottleneck also needs a city where there's a cultural void - perhaps 2W and 1S of that incense. 3S of Abydos could be another spot to squeeze in a city.

Production - We can increase production by switching to a state religion and choosing the "Organized Relgion" civic, then spread some missionaries around to our cities. Cities like Abydos have too many cottages (on plains when we need the food!). Abydos is our most productive city right now. We're also in the middle of the pack as far as crop yield and production are concerned.

Growth - Our smaller cities can be made to grow in size within 2-3 turns (1 in 5 turns). If we can get these to grow faster, they'll be able to use mined and cottaged tiles that aren't being used. (obviously ineffective use of tiles)

Road Network - We should build a road towards Hanover and Hamburg. In the event of an attack, we may need it.

Civil Defense - We really have too much jungle to our east. They need to be chopped down as invaders would have a defensive advantage. This is why we need more workers.

Civics - With all of these cottages, I'm really hoping we shoot for Democracy to get several civics to make use of the cottages - provided that our cities are actually working those tiles.

We also need some more happiness in some places, and I wouldn't move the capital, I'd make a new capital with the Forbidden Palace.

We've got a GS, what will we do with it?
We can start new research now, what will we do?

GeorgeOP said:
What do we need the workers for? The last turn I Fortified a couple of workers because I couldn't find much for them to do.

Chop all jungle within 2 tiles of any city, for one thing.

However generally I agree, I've always had trouble during DG's finding anything for the workers to do. It seems a waste to improve a tile any more than 1 turn before it's worked.

From DaveMcW's comments in the MTDG pitboss game, sometimes it's useful to have enough workers to customize a city's tiles every turn, perhaps by flipping between farms and workshops, or windmills and mines. That would let you fill the food box with farms, and then run on starvation rations while workshops pump out hammers. One of the reasons I've never been and probably won't be a deity level player is that this sounds too much like work and too little like play. :crazyeye:

GeorgeOP said:
What do we need the workers for? The last turn I Fortified a couple of workers because I couldn't find much for them to do.

Put roads everywhere?

Top Bottom