1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Domestic Poll (430AD) - Padmativa Settler Instructions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by FortyJ, Dec 9, 2002.

?

Where shall we send the settler from Padmativa?

1. site 'A*' [i]recommended by Domestic Department[/i]

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. site 'G'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. site 'I'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. site 'N'

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. site 'O'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other / Write In (please include specifics in your post)

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

The possibility of completing the settler in Padmativa is great and we must establish a destination for this unit now.

The Domestic Department recommends site 'A*' as it is located between American cities and will likely secure the Ivory for ourselves.

This poll will remain open for a minimum of 48 hours and until a quorum (16) is reached.

2. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Bump.... Less than 24 hours to go until the turn chat.

Lack of participation in this poll will not prevent this office from taking action on this issue, so if you wish your voice to be heard, please vote.

3. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Write in vote:

One tile west of spot A so the city will be a coastal city. If that is too close to Padmativa then build right on the ivory.

What is the reasoning behind building this city inland?

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I like "A" because 1. it grabs the Ivory that you wanted 2. it's one tile further away from Padmativa than the coastal tile you're looking at 3. the Fanatika coastline to the west already has 5 coastal cities 4. it turns a wooded tile into a more productive tile and 5. it will allow the city to grab more land tiles to use for better growth and production. Other than those reasons, I would have chosen the tile on the coast.

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I like A. We can drive a bit of a wedge between the American "frontier cities". :)hmm: Baltimore isn't exactly... 'frontier'... it just seems weird calling it that)

6. Cyc

Unless that French Settler and guard are headed to somewhere within Fanatika's borders, then we have lost the opportunity to place on site "A". All the French have to do is slide down that road to grab our spot. We may want to rethink this in a hurry to come up with a back up plan. Maybe site "H" of the Bremershaven Settler poll. Maybe a bit further East of "A" to that open area.

7. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

ADVICE:
    we should not put the preference into the naming of the options. those polls always seem a bit partial to me :)

just a note for the next poll ;-)

8. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

dis
    They probably seem partial to you, because they are... ;)

However, impartiality is better left for the Chief Justice, not the Domestic Leader (or any of the other leaders for that matter). As elected Leaders, we have been elected to lead, and we should all do so. Also, I see no discernable difference between including a recommendation in the poll compared to including it in the first post.

I'd rather not turn this poll/thread into a debate, but your suggestion compels me to defend my policy.

First off, I believe that the typical Fanatikan citizen is smarter than you give him or her credit. He or she can obviously recognize the recommendation for what it is and still have the conviction to vote his or her preference. In fact, one of the first settler polls of this term resulted in a different option than what was recommended.

Secondly, I believe that it should be our responsibility as elected leaders to provide the citizens with a recommendation; not just a series of choices. After all, we are the ones who have been elected to study the respective areas of the game in detail and set the agenda.

Up until now, a majority of official polls (in all departments, not just Domestic) have been of the Yes/No/Abstain variety in which the voter has few options available. Compared to these polls, the "recommendation" polls offer a much wider range of options. In fact, I've even added a Write-In option in addition to the Abstain option, so that voters can feel free to propose/vote for their preference, even if it was not originally included in the poll. Until now, voters would have had to vote Abstain to vote for something different, which is not what that option is supposed to be used for.

But I digress. In short, stating the recommendation of this department does not violate any rules that I know of. It is no different than posting that recommendation in the first post, and if it is slightly leading in nature, so be it. That's my job: to lead.

9. Cyc

That's all very well and good 40J, but what if the French take your recommended and winning location....?

10. Civanator

Civanator Deity

I agree with donsig, either west or southwest of Site 'A'. this will allow us to use the coast to built up the city with food from the sea. And maybe with another settler we can settle site 'O' cause that will give us the whale in the future.

11. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

How is that any different than if any civ took some other non-recommended and winning site?

Whether the site is not available when it comes time to settle it is irrelevant. Such an occurrence would pose problems regardless of whether or not a site were recommended by the Domestic Department.

12. Cyc

LOL, 40J. It's not any different. I was just using that as a reference. The reason I brought it up is because if you look at the current save, "A" which you know is the location I like the most, may be irrelevant as of now. I did not intend to provoke a debate about the usage of "recommended options". I only wanted to bring up the point that it may not be too late to redirect public opinion, in case the French have eyed that location an jump on it.