Domestic: Possible City Sites for City 2

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
This is some discussion on our next city site, The land to the NE looks rather harsh, so our best option is to the SW. I'd take the one to the immediate SW as the next city site. I'm not sure of the terrain, but I'm hoping for some more grasslands, since there are some grassland tiles, and a river. These aren't set in stone, since we need to explore that area.

The south west is clearly the way forward.
it offers a river for +6 growth and grassland/bonus grassland. It would waste precious early turns to seek out a new site when this one looks so good.

I would agree with the SW location.

I would also like the warrior to explore the SW area the most, as that's where we might be putting our next city.

SW looks good to me. And would lean toward having it be the 'settler factory' city rather than using the capital for that, too, probably, since its land is suited for growth without improvement.

The dot to the NW will be a nice six-6 site once we bring irrigation up that way, but it isn't a high priority site like the SW is.

With all these "SW Spot"s, do we even need a vote? ;)

Also, the NW plains city won't give much in the way of hills at the start. Only 2 hills before the city stops growing. It'll reach its' full potential during the industrial age. Same for the west one depending on the terrain. The SW does have the greatest potential, but I'd like to see more land in that area rather than continue up the NE hills.

Originally posted by donsig

Is the SW on the river?

Yes, it's on the river bend.

In my experience a city on a river bend has required an aqueduct to grow past 6.
EDIT: could someone confirm this right or wrong, I cannot find the example city that I was thinking of.

I would agree that we need to see more of the SW to be sure of the position, and also that the SW is the direction to move.

SW is the way to go. Also, Pnazer, I think no Aqueduct is needed on river cities.

SW clearly. But I had also the problem Panzer describes. City on river bent - aquaeduct needed.

We'll know more of that terrain with a bit of exploration. We actually don't need the final city location for the next chat. 8 turns to produce the settler and two movements towards the southwest is a full chat. That will expose the terrain in the area so we can make a fully educated decision. As SW is the overwhelming favorite that general direction is all we really need right now.

I've analyzed the save, and came up with these figures:

It appears the yellow spot is the best. While blue *may* be able to have a couple of more spt, yellow will be the more productive of the two. 20spt is a nice round number (which means no wasted shields), and also borders the river. There will be shields lost due to corruption, but that can be fixed with a courthouse. The final total (after a factory, nuke plant, Mfg Plant, etc.) is 160spt!!!!

This discussion aims to narrow it down even further. We've explored the area to the SW, and there's 3 possible spots:

If we want to settle now...
Red risks an encounter with a barb.
Blue has some risk.
yellow has almost no risk.

Top Bottom