Domesticated Megafauna mini alt history development thread

So, now that we have things like bear and deer riders in summary with the other fantastic subdued animals: What do you think about Caribou Riders or Moose Riders (maybe we could make them in such a various way like the Zebra, Camel and Mammoth Units)?

I'm thinking of animals like:
Caribou (!)
Moose (!)
Gazelle (?)
Gemsbock (?)
Moa (!)
Ostrich (?)
Musk Ox (!)
Okapi (in the way the Giraffe works?)
Wildebeest (?)
Water Buffalo (!)

I'm thinking that then we have a little more variety in the Megafauna Timeline!

So, what do you think, can we make it modular? :mischief:

We have all the ones we have graphics for. Except the ibex chariot which has graphics problems. To add any of these would require a unit maker.

I am the only one on the team who has produced new graphics but only because took them from Zoo Tycoon 2. Note these graphics are not animated, nor do they have riders.

Because of this limitation we are stuck with whatever nits are available in the download section. However I have been experimenting with re-texturing which is how the Police Car and Police Mech came about. However those still used existing meshes and animations.

If we had the unit graphics, I believe DH would have already included them by now.

Hi,

I do not want to make a promise, but if I have time which I probably will not have till June...and then I might be going to an archaeological dig..

I can full around with the units. It has been a little while since I modded, but I managed to make a lot animations work on units. I just do not want to promise results until I get back in and look at them.

Hi,

I do not want to make a promise, but if I have time which I probably will not have till June...and then I might be going to an archaeological dig..

I can full around with the units. It has been a little while since I modded, but I managed to make a lot animations work on units. I just do not want to promise results until I get back in and look at them.

I think we would all love any help you would offer.
I for one would love to see your thoughts on improving ideas and helping solve problems. I hope you inspire some others to participate. I barely have time myself, for the love of Civ I make time for what I can do.
Please choose to share a little time this community neighborhood as you can.
I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure everyone wants you here!
Awesome news on your potential dig BTW ! :)

Kathy has made an archaeological dig improvement for explorer units on city ruins. It only lasts while the explorer units are "digging" then the city ruins and the dig site disappear and you get a level 3 goody hut result.

It needs a bit of work to merge mostly because city ruins are a resource in the mod while they are an improvement in C2C. It would be very easy if I could figure out how to put a time to do on a mission which matched the time it takes to do an improvement. ;)

I know you guys probably would not think this make sense, but about archaeological digs....

Why is it a goody? While I have been at sites digging I am not rewarded something as in units or maps really. I mean it is just a better understanding of something in the past.

Now if something is looked at as significant to the mass public. (very rarely is considered significant and usually requires the discovery channel of history channel to gut it of real knowledge) If it is important to the masses then media is the source that declares it so. I would just suggest it is a culture boost or either some long lost technology. Now how that could apply or be done I have no real clue.

The one thing that might be interesting in a Post -Apocalypse setting would be some way of making everyone stupid again losing a lot of techs (basically resetting the tech tree). Then have a ton of archaeological sites to scavenge information.

Anyway I went way off topic of the post, but thought might be worth mentioning.

As for megafauna what is already in the game? Can someone give me a short list? Also do the animals get any promotions? Sorry for the long side post above I will take any further discussion about it to the Post -Apocalypse thread.

Well I am posting this link just because I do not know if you guys are aware of it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=263215

That utility has done a lot for me for animations, but you guys may already know about it. For example the rapture units I pulled a lot of stuff together from existing animations, and could name my kfm something that corresponds with the unit. So anyway a lot easier to know what is what.

Couldn't the Domesticated Megafauna wonders now produce 1-2 domesticated giraffe, bear, bison, zebra, whatever... resource now and have relevant units require that instead of locking production to the city it's built in?

Couldn't the Domesticated Megafauna wonders now produce 1-2 domesticated giraffe, bear, bison, zebra, whatever... resource now and have relevant units require that instead of locking production to the city it's built in?

The intent was to lock it to the city it is built in, which is most likely the capital in most cases for balance. If the domesticated megafauna can be built in any city then you can build overwhelming numbers of them. Since we have a full set of zebra units I was thinking that if you built the Zebra wonder that all your horse resources would become zebra and you wouldn't be able to build horse units at all. This would not fit with the current culture settings but it would with a more flexable system.

The intent was to lock it to the city it is built in, which is most likely the capital in most cases for balance. If the domesticated megafauna can be built in any city then you can build overwhelming numbers of them. Since we have a full set of zebra units I was thinking that if you built the Zebra wonder that all your horse resources would become zebra and you wouldn't be able to build horse units at all. This would not fit with the current culture settings but it would with a more flexable system.

If this goes together with the propesed tech changes I would realy apreciate that. I recently had a game were I had to rely on Zebras for a long time, because I had reached industrial era until I got my hands on a horse resource.
If the unit graphics were there I think it should be done for all animals of roughly the same size, like bears, moose, maybe deer, bisons.. sure , they seem to be harder to train then horses or dogs, but maybe they would be just as well if by chance mankind started domesticating them as early as horses and wolves.
Dogs remind me: The same could go for the Dog unit line and replacing them with Tigers, Lions... including the hunter and recon units running around with a dog at their side.
Stats could be more or less the same so that it is just a flavor.

And now a realy crazy idea: Warg Riders/Giant Tiger Riders. Could need a tech and national( or even world) wonder only buildable with subdued wolves/tigers. Should be expensive for balancing reasons, but could give an alternative for nations that can´t get hold of any normal ridable animal.
I mean why not? If people had no alternatives, they might just as well started breeding taller wolves/tigers/lions for riding

And yet another thing: I know this is a balancing problem, but Elephant workes should be superior to Bison and Mule ones, because a well trained Elephant can actually help a bit, the others can only carry materials. Maybe a wonder allowing"Trained Elephant Worker" untits.

If people had no alternatives, they might just as well started breeding taller wolves/tigers/lions for riding

I don't recall the Native Americans riding dogs. Sure there were sled dogs and The Inca domesticated Llamas and Alpacas but those were not used as mounts. Likewise native Americans did not ride Bison or Deer either but we have them for the alt timeline.

As it stands now we have a good diversity of megafauna units. Aside from wanting to have say a Megatherium Rider (which was one on my original ideas) I think we have plenty of alt animals to choose from.

I don't recall the Native Americans riding dogs. Sure there were sled dogs and The Inca domesticated Llamas and Alpacas but those were not used as mounts. Likewise native Americans did not ride Bison or Deer either but we have them for the alt timeline.

They were on a pretty early tech level though. ( North America, South American cultures got further.)

How about "legendary Battles" with subdued animals where there is a rare chance of a powerful prehistoric animal appearing that if you manage to kill will recieved a good reward?

The intent was to lock it to the city it is built in, which is most likely the capital in most cases for balance. If the domesticated megafauna can be built in any city then you can build overwhelming numbers of them.

Building overwhelming numbers of them is not a problem I think, because in most cases, prominently with the zebras in which there is NO difference, the things aren't overpowered superunits. They're just different. Even if they were OP just set it so that you can only build 15 (or less) at once like with all the latest Alt History units. Also I'd like to share my herd of riding giraffes with my good friend, neighbor and war ally but it'd need to be a tradable resource for me to do that.

How about "legendary Battles" with subdued animals where there is a rare chance of a powerful prehistoric animal appearing that if you manage to kill will recieved a good reward?

I am a bit dim this morning. Can you give a bit more detail, an example perhaps?

Building overwhelming numbers of them is not a problem I think, because in most cases, prominently with the zebras in which there is NO difference, the things aren't overpowered superunits. They're just different. Even if they were OP just set it so that you can only build 15 (or less) at once like with all the latest Alt History units. Also I'd like to share my herd of riding giraffes with my good friend, neighbor and war ally but it'd need to be a tradable resource for me to do that.

I agree with the zebra and giraffe units are basically the same as the equivalent horse units. So I have no trouble with the idea of making them basically the same. I would just have to change all the buildings that are needed or required so that if you build the wonder you can build the trainer in each city. A bit time consuming but doable.

The others I am not so sure about, but making them like the national units ie max of 15 could work. It would also need the buildings changed.

I can certianly make them tradeable. Although I am having trouble testing the stuff I have already done atm.

Top Bottom