[GS] Domination thoughts

Ownsya

Warlord
So I just won a domination game on Emperor, Standard, Continents, Small. My first domination on this difficulty. After a rough start I managed to eventually bulldoze my way to victory on turn 311 in the information era and ranked 6th with my score. I'm proud of this win. My leader was Suleiman whose ability is simply awesome for domination. Anyway, I noticed some behavior of the AI and I wanted to see if others had the same experience.

1) While at war with another civ, it seems that once the power difference between you reaches some gap and the civ decides it's hopeless for them, they seem to suddenly go suicide with the rest of their army. I mean they'll send their troops to execute meaningless attacks getting themselves killed.

2) Is the AI too trusting? When I see the AI starting to gather troops near my border, I don't ask questions and immediately assume I'm about to be attacked. The AI on the other hand, it seems no matter how large of an army I have near their border, if I tell them I'm merely passing by, it seems as though they'll take my word for it and won't bother sending units over in case I'm lying. (Spoiler: I was definitely lying).

I'm considering the Real Strategy AI mod. Reading about and seeing many recommend it, it sounds great. Was wondering if I can expect the above behaviors to change? From others' experience, how different is the game really, with Real Strategy (Whether for a domination game or otherwise)?

@Infixo

I think Real Strategy changes the way they play on regards to achieve a certain victory type, so if they want to win through science, they will do more campuses, earn more Great Scientists and get more scientific alliances etc. Shaka or Alexander on the other hand could decide they want the domination path, so they will have huge armies and so on.

About the promise of no attacking, you can lie them yes, but you'll get extra grievances for doing so. Not a big problem vs 3 enemies, but risky vs 9, because you'll starve diplomatic favour and will be stomped in the congress with militar emergencies, no allies, no commerce etc

Love the thread title, would have an entirely different meaning on another forum.

1) While at war with another civ, it seems that once the power difference between you reaches some gap and the civ decides it's hopeless for them, they seem to suddenly go suicide with the rest of their army. I mean they'll send their troops to execute meaningless attacks getting themselves killed.

2) Is the AI too trusting? When I see the AI starting to gather troops near my border, I don't ask questions and immediately assume I'm about to be attacked. The AI on the other hand, it seems no matter how large of an army I have near their border, if I tell them I'm merely passing by, it seems as though they'll take my word for it and won't bother sending units over in case I'm lying. (Spoiler: I was definitely lying).

I've noticed that once you really start snowballing, the AI seems to fall further behind, and I'm not sure why that is. Like, I understand why my power level is so high, but why is the AI power level (in terms of tech and civic level appropriate for the game year/turn) so low? It seems that way at least.

And yes, I would like to see the AI mass troops on their border if you do (assuming you aren't allies). It would make for a more "realistic" AI.

I've noticed that sometimes when I attack a civ, and begin to take a city or two, suddenly their army seems to have disappeared. They must have deleted their units for some reason. That does seem to be a strange way to defend!

Top Bottom