Domination victories in RAND

kbk

Prince
My understanding is that historical civilization size is no longer a factor in RAND stability, so we should be able to see some interesting domination victories.

Here is a Turkey domination game, High earth likliness, largest earth, and temperate.

I started out spawning between Arabia and a collapsed Greece. Since there was no more Greece, all their cities flipped to me, and I went to town on Arabia. Next I engaged Rome in a long and drawn out 200 years war. They were the top civ at the time.

Fortunately Rome and Greece built a lot of wonders, and once I controlled their important cities, I started mass producing great people. Rome had also founded Christianity, so I got the Christian and Islamic shrines built.

After that, it was a process of fending off France and Germany who wanted my conquered Roman cities, and advancing in tech. I started three world wars by refusing to leave Rome (Which I eventually razed after Rome respawned, because it was one tile from 2 other Roman cities) I vasalized Carthage, Mali, and the Vikings, who did a wonderful job of defending off the extremities of my empire. Carthage even started to colonize Australia.

The final push saw me taking a slew of independent cities from a collapsed Spain and Netherlands, and taking over Portugal (whose cities never got out of resistance, would have been another 3-4%). Also, I used founded two cities in a huge empty area south of the Spanish area, and using great artists to snag huge amounts of land.

I had to reload and go back to found konya to win in 1961 instead of 1962 because I collapsed in 1962 (this resulted in a few less tiles, but still sufficient for the win). Note I was pushing collapse in a golden age.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 236
  • Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 228
That sounds fun...so much so that I will play my stalled Dutch game on for domination rather than spaceship. I'm hopefully well poised for that (since Inca and Maya are my vassals and "Australia," NAm and SAm are empty otherwise, nobody else except the Spanish having discovered astronomy yet)

That sounds fun...so much so that I will play my stalled Dutch game on for domination rather than spaceship. I'm hopefully well poised for that (since Inca and Maya are my vassals and "Australia," NAm and SAm are empty otherwise, nobody else except the Spanish having discovered astronomy yet)

Go for it, I want to test the no historic city size trick. Once we get it down, we might see some domination victories we didn't see in RFC normal, like Babylon and Mali.

I've never seen so many 2/3 UHV's in my entire RFC career. Some of these are bogus of course (like Spain's), but I had to defeat Japan's 1850 criteria with a trick--captured a neighboring former Persian city, gave it to them and recaptured it in the same move. (Otherwise their defenders were way too strong for me, and Tokugawa's neighbors were pleased with him). I also build one extra city close to my vassal Ethiopia so that if 1910 comes around, they won't win.

I thought Rhye got rid of the 4 vassal limit, but I guess not. In fact, the AI seems to not vassalize as readily as before (I'm at war with Khmer and me and Portugal have already captured 5 of his cities, but all he's offering is a world map, and he doesn't even have rifling). Inca, Maya, Ethiopia and Portugal were my vassals.

I was very solid at the end, with expansion being 2 stars only. Switched to police state/nationhood/occupation just for the last 10 turns or so, being in representation/free speech all along.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Civ4ScreenShot0167.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0167.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 116
Well, I just got an accidental domination victory in my first game, playing with Portugal and going for a space race victory! :(

Only fought one war right after spawning, then simply went around settling any promising territory. Took the spanish as vassals, but with only 3 small cities they were meaningless. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the domination conditions. Could go back and release a few colonies, but it would spoil the fun.

Anyway, at least now in RFC RAND the science penalty for having many cities seems to be reasonable. :)

they are added by default to Amsterdam...

AP, your capitol looks absolutely disgusting. Is that three wheat, cows, iron and stone? wow.

That's actually quite common, I just reloaded again and again until I don't see cow or wheat on mountain. Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that, although in retrospect I should have founded on one of the wheats to encompass the iron.

I think the stone and iron were there originally, and then the wheat and cow added by script.

yep I meant the wheat (I believe only the wheat)

Just won as Germany, which is probably the easiest domination win on RAND. The Russians capitulated two turns before I won, and that gave me 5% of the territory. I launched no less than 10 ICBMs and tactical nukes so the Russians had no army whatsoever (curiously, they also launched two nukes but neither to me).

On another note, in German's UHV, it states "control 6 other civs", does that mean controlling cities directly? I guess vassals does not count. There might have been a bug there since by 1940 I have not fulfilled the condition on my F8 screen but the UHV count does not go gray.

I think the condition grays out the next turn for Germany's goals. Give us some screenies? :goodjob:

The game was destined to be a smooth ride since Rome collapsed before I started, and on turn 3 the now-Independent Roman Christian holy city flipped to me! From there, I took the independent Roman cities. Later Greece collapsed and I took their cities too. Then Spain, Netherlands, Vikings, France, England and Russia. Apart from Babylon who vassalised really early (and was for the most part useless until I gifted them 10 panzers) Portugal was about the only reliable ally I had, and started a lot of unnecessary war because Japan invited me and I could not care about the defense pact situations.

Here is 3 turns before I won, 1 turn before Russian vassalised (I don't want to play the same turns again). Notice that my victory condition does not go gray even though it is past 1950. German's interest is primarily Europe, as it should have been. The two cities I found in "Africa" are for the dyes and wine, which do not exist elsewhere. Africa was no-man's land then, with Mali and Ethiopia been destroyed very early.

Here to confirm. Russian's vassalising and one city coming out of resistance will push me over the domination limit. And I have not fulfilled the 2nd condition.

You have to trust me that Russia did vassalise because of this:

But this is my favourite:

I never had any stability issues. The main reason that I postpone invasion is to finish the techs (the Internet helped a lot here) since I was still trying for the UHV, but I am so far ahead in GNP and production and power so victory is not an issue. Maybe maintaining a large empire becomes a lot easier in RAND now for anyone, but I can't say from my only experience.

bruce: what mod are you using for the unit diversity? I've tried a few but I couldn't figure out how to get them to work with rhye's.

Ah, it's been added since I tried fiddling around with the non-rhye's version. Thank you very much.

Top Bottom