Domination victory without Warmongering?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Hi everyone. I've run into a bit of trouble in pursuit of my Domination Victory. I was trying to defeat my first capital, when I got a Warmonger warning. At this point I don't understand how I can take the necessary capitals without getting a Warmonger penalty.

Please understand that I am a newbie playing single player on Settler mode. I had this capital surrounded, with a strong military presence, but when I got the warning I retreated a bit, because I wanted to learn what I'm doing wrong, by asking the more experienced players on this forum for some advice and knowledge.

Thanks to anyone who will help. :) :blush:

If you're going for a domination victory, it's almost unavoidable that you'll get a warmonger penalty at some point. You might be able to keep it low for a while, but I'm not much of a warmonger, so I'll leave that for others here to explain.

However, on Settler you shouldn't have to worry too much about it anyway. It's such an easy difficulty that even if they hate you, more than likely they're not going to pose a serious military threat as long as you play a decent game.

It's not possible to capture enemy capitals without getting warmonger penalties. I wiped out Germany and I got a huge warmonger penalty with Arabia (because they hate warmongers :confused:). I wiped out Greece and every other civ (5) denounced me. I could go on and on about how many times I wiped someone out but I think you get the point. If you're playing on settler you shouldn't get a huge warmonger penalty. I play on prince. Ironic how Arabia hates warmongers......

On settler the only downside to a warmonger penalty is that the ai won't trade with you fairly, you don't need to worry about them attacking you because on settler the ai will literally never attack you, EVER. They also won't build up any kind of formidable army

You get a warmonger penalty when you declare war, when you conquer a city or completely wiping out a civ (city states counts as a civ when it comes to warmonger penalties). The less cities there are on the map the higher the penalty from taking a city. Later in the game when the map is full of cities the penalty should be lower.

You can lower this by liberating cities that one AI took from another or liberating city states.

If you want to play a domination game then you will and have to get warmonger hate.

It's a must to get warmongering penalty when going for domination victory. So, the question isn't how not to get warmongering penalty but how to get less. There are 2 things that would give you warmonger point in the game, declaring war and taking cities.
Declaring war would give you a small warmonger point regardless whether you win or lost, and no warmonger point if other declare war on you. One thing you can do about this is to ask a civ to go on war with you against another civ in the discussion screen or you pay that civ to declare war on the trading screen, or simply declare war on a civ that is currently at war with another civ. This way you can get a "fighting a common enemy" diplomacy bonus, which is good for your diplomacy.
Taking city would give you more warmonger point than just declaring war. The more cities you take, the more points you'll get. Taking the last city of a civ, which you would wipe a civ out if you do that, would give you a huge warmongering point. Therefore, if you want to stay low in warmongering, try to take as few cities as you can and don't wipe a civ out.
There's a way to lose warmonger point, which is liberating cities. If the civ you are warring with has cities that he took from other civ, you can liberate it instead of keeping that city. If it's a city state that you liberated, you'll get an ally status with it instantly.
Last but not least, different AIs has different favor towards warmonger. Peaceful civ like Arabia hate warmonger more than other civ and warmonger civ like Zulu hate warmonger less. So even took a few cities you can still be friend with civ like Zulu.

Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone. So I guess warmongering isn't such a bad thing - sort of a necessary evil. I wonder if there is an Overview screen that lets you see all the civs/city-states war status? Like what civs have taken other cities so you can liberate them. Kind of a birds eye view if you will. :D Thx to all.

Usually, you can tell if the AI has taken over a city if 1, his name is totally different then the other names (e.g. Rotterdam and Sparta) and 2, there will be a colored city state symbol on the left of the city banner if the AI has taken over a city state. Then your influence over the city-state will increase very dramatically if you liberate them. They will be 'indebted to you'.

there will be a colored city state symbol on the left of the city banner if the AI or you has taken over a city state.
This is an easy way to distinguish captured cities able to be liberated.

If I'm not mistaken, Venice and Austria's UAs will completely remove the option to liberate a city state.

Warmonger penalties could be inevitable when you want to achieve a domination victory... strategy and Tips section can have tips for domination victory.

Usually, you can tell if the AI has taken over a city if 1, his name is totally different then the other names (e.g. Rotterdam and Sparta) and 2, there will be a colored city state symbol on the left of the city banner if the AI or you has taken over a city state. Then your influence over the city-state will increase very dramatically if you liberate them. They will be 'indebted to you'.

Perhaps I have this disabled since my last game as the Dutch I conquered many city states and there was no symbol. Does it only show the symbol for the AI?

I think Mongolia could and should have a option that turns conquered city states into permanent cities, but it doesn't.

No because conquered city states can become city states again if another civilization chooses to liberate them.

I never really play domination, but i think taking two capiyals and then try and liberate... Something(!) would be a good idea since that completely nullifies the penalty... But don't quote me on that :p

It's possible but you need allies and only go after capitals. Try to get the whole world DOWing each other(but not you) so some civs will be eliminated. Recalling a civ to life gives the biggest reduction to warmongering, except when you liberate a CS. An trick exploit I like to use is to get your target to DOW the whole world and pay what they ask. When the trade screen closes denounce them and DOW.....

Top Bottom