1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Don’t Stay with Partners who Don’t Take Responsibility for their Mental Health

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

If I'm looking for a woman with abnormally excessive and uncontrollable sexual appetites (and let's face facts, what man isn't?) then yes, I am required to look among the "mentally ill."

2. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Do you think that women would put up with men acting "crazy" in the same way?

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Women put up with men acting "crazy" in far worse ways all the time.

4. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

And that's a much better thing, compared to certain women, which are many, who have a habit of taking meds or going to doctors on every chance they got and overhealing themselves to the point of getting health troubles because of that. And it is even worse, when they try to spread that habit on their relatives and mates.

5. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

There are indeed some crazy men out there, but I think in general we tolerate it more from women. Crazy men are "dangerous", crazy women are just "crazy".

Then there's a whole host of excuses that women are allowed to use that men aren't. "Hormones", "on my period", etc.

Also I think in general women tend to be more attracted to guys who are stoic. For example I think if a guy cried a lot or talked about his feelings a lot that would be a huge turn off for most women (feel free to correct me, that's just been my experience). For guys they tend not to care so much about whether a women is emotionally stable, as long as she's attractive.

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Nah.

"Insulting you"? No, I've just pointed out that you're once again taking a general statement and making it about you. In your head, in this thread. Honest criticism is not an insult.

The statement that was made was perfectly fine, it was not addressing any individual, especially not you. It was addressing a trend in a group and as such it was perfectly valid, and correct, too. If for no other reason than what Timsup2nothin has said twice now. (<- that's not grammatically correct, is it?)

Yeah again. A generalized statement about a group that you're in (though barely if depression is all have to show off, that's the most vanilla and least mentally ill mental illness that there is), and somehow it's telling us something about you. Would your response to somebody saying: "Mentally ill people often kill themselves." be: "Well, I'm not dead, how dare you say that of me?!"...? :lol:

Also, "People like you"? I, too, fall into that group, and I do/did have some conditions that would probably make you jealous if you knew more about me. Few people beat me in the mental illness Olympics. :trophy: Don't act like you're representing a group that's bigger than 1.

Moderator Action: Nobody gains anything from the 'mental illness Olympics'. Please do not insinuate that others' mental illnesses are somehow minor or unimportant. FP
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2017
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ced-domestic-violence/?utm_term=.eda9f45d9f3f

What do you think the corresponding statistics are for men?

8. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

9. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

That's foolish, though. Emotional instability in a partner can ruin your life even if it's "just a girl."

You don't have to be full of testosterone to slit someone's throat in their sleep, sabotage a condom, shoot someone, etc.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Human evolution proudly presents: The Warrior Gene

Destroying relationships since the dawn of man, one mutation of monoamine oxidase A at a time!

11. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

http://www.batteredmen.com/NISVS.htm

Yep, no argument here.

caketastydelish and Hygro like this.
  12. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Take a look at domestic violence among F-to-F relationships, then make a guess.

13. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

If you had actually read the study that you're citing, you would know the answer. 27.5% according to them.

Psychological Aggression is also almost equal, with 47.1% for women, and 46.5% in men.

Sorry for destroying that narrative. To make up for that, let me add that the study also shows that women are ahead - though not that far ahead - when it comes to the severity of the abuse they face.

No... actually, I am not sorry, I am proud of having destroyed the narrative and having helped you get a more accurate picture of reality.

/edit: Funny how that article from the Washington Post, which apparently is thought of as a reputable newspaper, is painting such a one-sided picture and not even mentioning the numbers for men though, isn't it? That author makes herself look like an ideologically driven piece of human garbage.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  14. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Yeah, our whole idea of "domestic violence" is based on this ideological nonsense. Duluth Model:

It also explains why there is virtually no domestic violence support for men.

15. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Super Moderator

A lot of mentally ill people do not seek treatment because of the stigma attached to doing so, and the stigma is very very real. Mental illness is very misunderstood, and seeking help can result in discrimination, job loss, loss of friends, etc. Particularly if it becomes common knowledge.

Dumping someone who is mentally ill is not the answer. They may not be willing to get help in the short term, but with enough love and support, most of them will eventually realize that they need it.

I hear "I'm not crazy. I don't need help!" far too often, unfortunately.

Synsensa likes this.
  16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Philosophy is the practice of death

(quote by Socrates) :p

17. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

This survey is kind of weird. Most studies I'm aware of claim that men actually suffer more physical abuse from their partners than women. However, if I recall those studies correctly, the abuse women suffer is usually more severe. The study you share in question note that of severe abuse (or of equivalent terminology), men suffer less than women. But the vast majority of studies I've been presented note that men are actually much more the targets of "small-time" violence than women.
    I apologize for my poor terminology.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  18. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Disagree. You need to get disentangled emotionally and romantically ASAP. Some variants of the mentally ill are like alcoholics. They don't have friends and relationships. They have hostages.

19. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

This male violence against a female card is why there will be no gender equality ever.

Men grow up with the risk of being punched in the face, when they do wrong to others and sometimes not. When there's a serious argument between two men, it may lead to face punching easily. And when it is coming to that kind of situation and even not or long before that, most men reconsider their behaviour towards another person, to minimize or halt any kind of non-physical harm to that person, so that their confrontation didn't lead to a physical conflict. Either that, or just halting the interaction.

Moooost women have no such stopping mechanisms, and won't stop doing non-physical harm, and even will easily come down to exploit toleration and endurance of another person. Especially, at home, when it becomes a habit through years.

And since even a tiniest physical pressure on a woman is considered evil and taboo, most men would never or extremely rarely hit or press a woman physically (or even mentally by going into a fight ready posture, voice, etc) even when she deserves that and when the same men would do that (or come to that pre-fight situation) with another man in similar circumstances.

Every woman out there uses that male weakness many times through her life, if not always.

Sometimes somewhere some poor female individual who didn't stop when she should have, gets punched. And it is immediately a serious deal without any tries to learn the nuances.

In my not humble and impolite opinion, face punching or other kind of punching are okay and even necessary in certain situations, regardless of gender.

Even at home: if belts were used as an educational tool (not only with children, but also certain spoiled grownups and spouses with bad attitude) more often than it is, then there would be much more psychologically stable individuals with good character and less mentally ill; more happy families and less divorces.

20. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator