'Don't ask, don't tell' must be scrapped, court says

mech654

Prince
CBC said:
In a brief two-page order, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the "don't ask, don't tell" policy must be lifted now that the Obama administration has concluded it's unconstitutional to treat gay Americans differently under the law.

The ruling was the latest legal development in the effort by gay rights supporters to end the policy. It came in response to a motion brought by Log Cabin Republicans, a group for gay Republican Party members, which last year persuaded a lower court judge to declare the ban unconstitutional.
source:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/07/06/dont-ask-dont-tell-judges.html?ref=rss
This is great news, I wonder how longer it will take for DADT to be remove.

Eh, I don't really care. Reverse it, keep it, doesn't make any difference to me.

On the one hand, I can understand why it might be uncomfortable to be in close quarters with a gay man, ESPECIALLY if the person has a crush on you...

On the other hand, I'm not actually in the military, so I don't really have a moral right to campaign against it. Its not about how I feel, its about how the military as a whole feels.

Bring on Air Force Fabulous!

On the one hand, I can understand why it might be uncomfortable to be in close quarters with a gay man, ESPECIALLY if the person has a crush on you...

How can one be fine with being shot at, but not simply telling a gay guy that he's not interested in men?

How can one be fine with being shot at, but not simply telling a gay guy that he's not interested in men?

Especially since DADT doesn't stop you from being in close quarters with gay men, it just stops you from knowing about it, so he might be secretly ogling you without you even knowing about it! Oh no! Better take an extra long shower to wash that gross feeling off!

On the other hand, I'm not actually in the military, so I don't really have a moral right to campaign against it. Its not about how I feel, its about how the military as a whole feels.

Is it okay if the military as a whole feels Jesus sets a bad example, and that those who claim to follow him are unfit to kill people?

Or do we not actually have to be in the military to tell them what to do?

Is it okay if the military as a whole feels Jesus sets a bad example, and that those who claim to follow him are unfit to kill people?

Or do we not actually have to be in the military to tell them what to do?

Well, it is civilian controlled, so they are completely (theoretically) under our control.

Of course. Just because I don't personally care about some judgment they might make doesn't mean it's irrelevant what any outsiders think.

In a brief two-page order, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the "don't ask, don't tell" policy must be lifted now that the Obama administration has concluded it's unconstitutional to treat gay Americans differently under the law.

The ruling was the latest legal development in the effort by gay rights supporters to end the policy. It came in response to a motion brought by Log Cabin Republicans, a group for gay Republican Party members, which last year persuaded a lower court judge to declare the ban unconstitutional.

source:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/07/06/dont-ask-dont-tell-judges.html?ref=rss
This is great news, I wonder how longer it will take for DADT to be remove.

Ok stop, how does the POTUS saying something is unconstitutional or constitutional effect a court ruling? Well I guess waterboarding is constitutional because the POTUS said so.

Yes, i'm sure most of us agree with the ruling, but how the ruling came about seems wrong.

P.S. Have we talked about this before. This seems vaguely familiar.

It's the beginning of the end of the republic as we know it.
Do misplaced Apocalyptic predictions ever go out of style? I'll have to ask Plot or Dachs about that.

Aye, it's already been repealed. It's just taking a while for it to be implemented.

Do misplaced Apocalyptic predictions ever go out of style? I'll have to ask Plot or Dachs about that.

Care to elaborate?

The Obama administration can claim that DADT is unconstitutional, but that has no effect whatsoever in the court system. It's the Courts that declare something unconstitutional, regardless of any administration's opinion.

It's already been repealed.

No, it hasnt. Its still pending review by the Joint Chiefs and the Sec Def. They owe congress a report that indicates the training and implementation wont affect our military forces. That hasnt been completed yet.

Well, it is civilian controlled, so they are completely (theoretically) under our control.

Think so? Try ordering a Sergeant you see on the street to do something. See what happens.

Why not? Are they too distracted looking at each other's hot butts?

DADT's a terrible policy, Israel's and Britain's armies aren't falling about because homosexuals are in it.

Top Bottom