1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

'Don't ask, don't tell' must be scrapped, court says

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mech654, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mech654

mech654 Prince

Yes exactly, since you know homosexual does not harm anyone thus stop making a big deal out of it. I know you going to try say that there is STDs and other sexually diseases among gays. The problem isn't homosexually but that people do not use condoms.

2. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I don't see how that's relevant.

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I'm detecting a huge incoming of:

Moving on, I don't see the harm of allowing openly gays in the US armed forces. Other nations have the same and they have not collapsed.

4. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I'd imagine that sex doesn't feel the same when you use a condom. But I've never done it before.

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I'm arguing against the "Animals exhibit bisexual behavior, so can humans!" point, by choosing other sections of the animal world that would not be so favorable in modern society.

6. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I responded with that because that Celtic dude implied that being gay wasn't natural.

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    So there is no such thing as gay penguins?

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Wikipedia only lists penguins in Zoos that exhibited homosexual behavior. I'm not sure of the situation in those zoos, but it could have been a simple "lock the two up and see what they do" sort of thing.

9. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Except that that's totally not the argument being made. When someone says that homosexuality occurs naturally in certain species, it's always a response to the ubiquitous assertion that homosexuality is not naturally occurring and is almost never used as an argument for why homosexuals should be accepted, but as an argument against a popular argument for why they shouldn't be. IOW, strawman. I hardly recall anyone ever saying that human homosexuality is okay just because animal homosexuality exists. This issue occurs because those who make the "homosexuality is not natural" argument tend to have an inability to distinguish "natural", which isn't even really a concern of this debate, and "ethical" which is.

Also notable is the rather odd tendency of people making this argument to define "natural" not as occurring in nature without artificial influence, which it is, but "leading to reproduction". By that logic, there are a ton of human behaviors which are totally unnatural.

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

On page three, a point was raised that heterosexuality is natural, and the first retort was that homosexuality is also natural because animals display that behavior. I was pointing out the fact that that argument shouldn't really hold, especially considering how humans are vastly different than animals. I mean, if we wanted to live like animals, why have society in the first place?

I'm not denying that animals exhibit homosexual behavior. I think that behavior, especially when translated to humans, comes from a variety of factors, both in the person themselves and in the environment surrounding them.

I'm not sure what you are trying to express here. Natural selection, what I was using as an argument previously, holds both true; it's natural and a result of reproduction. Granted, homosexual behavior is simply the former, but I'd argue that both are comparable.

11. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Oh, okay. I find that whole line of argument pretty much beside the point.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

If it occurs in nature as frequently as homosexuality does - it is natural.

next!

13. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

Humans are animals.

14. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Must we really argue in circles? We have all expressed our opinions. Reread the other posts in the thread, which can be used as answers or substitutes to your questions.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Not like it even matters if it is natural or not.. so alright

16. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

I think Jesus sets a pretty good example for an integrated military. He surrounded himself with men and a token female companion.

17. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

What? The military is not a democracy. That's not how it works. In fact, that's pretty much the opposite of how it works.

18. Millman

Millman Mark the Magnificent

There's no answer anywhere, at all, of why it took so long?

19. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

I think it's the least of America's worries at the moment. I don't see how your army would suffer without DADT, to be quite honest. Most of the arguments for it assume that gay men impose themselves on straight men, which is a erroneous assumption.

My biggest worry though is, why are LBGT people enlisting in the first place? To serve and protect a country that won't even give them equal rights or treat them fairly?

20. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Not all choices you make are conscious choices.

There are penguins that have sex with the same sex as they are. Whether the penguins actually consider themselves 'gay' or not remains to be seen. By that I mean we shouldnt attribute animals with human behavior labels. The penguins could be exhibiting that behavior not because they prefer gay sex, but for some other instinctual reason that may nor may not be normal in said penguin.