'Don't ask, don't tell' must be scrapped, court says

No, we're saying some humans are homosexual --> deal with it.

The first part isn't opinion.
Yes exactly, since you know homosexual does not harm anyone thus stop making a big deal out of it. I know you going to try say that there is STDs and other sexually diseases among gays. The problem isn't homosexually but that people do not use condoms.

Some people just have a better gene pool than others, and will do better in life. Deal with it.

I am playing the devil's advocate, and do not, in any way, shape, or form, condone the direct harm of other people due to genetic differences.

I don't see how that's relevant.

I'm detecting a huge incoming of:

Moving on, I don't see the harm of allowing openly gays in the US armed forces. Other nations have the same and they have not collapsed.

I'm arguing against the "Animals exhibit bisexual behavior, so can humans!" point, by choosing other sections of the animal world that would not be so favorable in modern society.
So there is no such thing as gay penguins?

Animals exhibit bisexual behavior -> humans are allowed to be homosexual.

Except that that's totally not the argument being made. When someone says that homosexuality occurs naturally in certain species, it's always a response to the ubiquitous assertion that homosexuality is not naturally occurring and is almost never used as an argument for why homosexuals should be accepted, but as an argument against a popular argument for why they shouldn't be. IOW, strawman. I hardly recall anyone ever saying that human homosexuality is okay just because animal homosexuality exists. This issue occurs because those who make the "homosexuality is not natural" argument tend to have an inability to distinguish "natural", which isn't even really a concern of this debate, and "ethical" which is.

Also notable is the rather odd tendency of people making this argument to define "natural" not as occurring in nature without artificial influence, which it is, but "leading to reproduction". By that logic, there are a ton of human behaviors which are totally unnatural.

Except that that's totally not the argument being made. When someone says that homosexuality occurs naturally in certain species, it's always a response to the ubiquitous assertion that homosexuality is not naturally occurring and is almost never used as an argument for why homosexuals should be accepted, but as an argument against a popular argument for why they shouldn't be.

On page three, a point was raised that heterosexuality is natural, and the first retort was that homosexuality is also natural because animals display that behavior. I was pointing out the fact that that argument shouldn't really hold, especially considering how humans are vastly different than animals. I mean, if we wanted to live like animals, why have society in the first place?

IOW, strawman. I hardly recall anyone ever saying that human homosexuality is okay just because animal homosexuality exists. This issue occurs because those who make the "homosexuality is not natural" argument tend to have an inability to distinguish "natural", which isn't even really a concern of this debate, and "ethical" which is.

I'm not denying that animals exhibit homosexual behavior. I think that behavior, especially when translated to humans, comes from a variety of factors, both in the person themselves and in the environment surrounding them.

Also notable is the rather odd tendency of people making this argument to define "natural" not as occurring in nature without artificial influence, which it is, but "leading to reproduction". By that logic, there are a ton of human behaviors which are totally unnatural.

I'm not sure what you are trying to express here. Natural selection, what I was using as an argument previously, holds both true; it's natural and a result of reproduction. Granted, homosexual behavior is simply the former, but I'd argue that both are comparable.

I'm arguing against the "Animals exhibit bisexual behavior, so can humans!" point, by choosing other sections of the animal world that would not be so favorable in modern society.

Oh, okay. I find that whole line of argument pretty much beside the point.

On page three, a point was raised that heterosexuality is natural, and the first retort was that homosexuality is also natural because animals display that behavior. I was pointing out the fact that that argument shouldn't really hold, especially considering how humans are vastly different than animals. I mean, if we wanted to live like animals, why have society in the first place?

If it occurs in nature as frequently as homosexuality does - it is natural.

next!

Humans are animals.

Is it okay if the military as a whole feels Jesus sets a bad example, and that those who claim to follow him are unfit to kill people?

Or do we not actually have to be in the military to tell them what to do?

I think Jesus sets a pretty good example for an integrated military. He surrounded himself with men and a token female companion.

On the other hand, I'm not actually in the military, so I don't really have a moral right to campaign against it. Its not about how I feel, its about how the military as a whole feels.

What? The military is not a democracy. That's not how it works. In fact, that's pretty much the opposite of how it works.

I think it's the least of America's worries at the moment. I don't see how your army would suffer without DADT, to be quite honest. Most of the arguments for it assume that gay men impose themselves on straight men, which is a erroneous assumption.

My biggest worry though is, why are LBGT people enlisting in the first place? To serve and protect a country that won't even give them equal rights or treat them fairly?

Do you choose to be a heterosexual? I certainly didn't.

Not all choices you make are conscious choices.

So there is no such thing as gay penguins?

There are penguins that have sex with the same sex as they are. Whether the penguins actually consider themselves 'gay' or not remains to be seen. By that I mean we shouldnt attribute animals with human behavior labels. The penguins could be exhibiting that behavior not because they prefer gay sex, but for some other instinctual reason that may nor may not be normal in said penguin.

Top Bottom