"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to comment on all the ways this map does not intrigue me.

First of all, the first thing that comes to mind is the event in NK's game where an entire city was eaten by Prince Thlayli's soldiers, and everyone moreorless acknowledged this was historical and very cool, because stupid peasants being eaten by the rich and/or soldiers appeals to everyone in the NES demographic. That may or may not have much to do with this map per se, but it's just a heads-up for anyone who finds themselves in the midst of NESers that they consider cannibalism a positive and progressive solution to the problems nations' face, especially at the cost of other NESers.
Um... I think NK addressed this fairly thoroughly, but I have a few notes I think are important to bring up.

That wasn't my game, so it's not really relevant to my current project. For some relevant details about it though, my people and Masada's were the ones being eaten, as we were the native population of a city that was controlled by a conquering population who had very twisted moral lines regarding what they would do to win. We were pretty damn affronted about that, and even Thlayli, the player that did it, would later describe it as 'horrifying' in an OOC note. So it's a bit strange to paint a bizarre event in a storytelling game as indicative of the predilections of a whole community, and honestly pretty mean to say that about us. :(

Secondly, the map takes forever to load. I can feel the fun trickling down my urethra second by second.
I'm sorry to hear that, but that's kind of strange. It's a 2.5 megabyte .png file, which is about the size of the image files that my phone takes as pictures.

The border of the western continent looks fake. I can tell you used the brush tool to touch it up. I assume the places of partial opacity indicate places where there are marshlands? Or is that just an artifact of how ugly the map is? Either way, eugh.
That's the edge of human settlement, it's pretty strangely shaped because the deep interior of the desert (yellow) has not yet been crossed by humans. The actual edges of the continent are where it turns blue, indicating oceans. Most of the interiors of the oceans are brushed out to black because they're unknown to humans as well, they're bronze age right now so their knowledge of non-coastal ocean waters is pretty limited.

That said, you know how it works, it's equivalent to the fog of war in video games involving exploration, like in Civ for example.

EDIT: You might also be referring to the area where there's a long, steady smooth curve. That's just the fact that part of that landmass sticks across the 180th meridian and wraps over to the other side of the map.

The great lakes in the east bear weirdly no relation to the actual great lakes that I know they're modeled on, for no reason any less than that there is no St. Lawrence river basin. So I assume therefore they're just inland basins. I don't think anyone here has the expertise to correctly speculate about such seas but as a hint, it'd be as prosperous as the Caspian, which is to say not very prosperous at all.
They're not really modeled on the great lakes, they're inland seas formed in endorheic basins. The northern one's got large amounts of freshwater inflow and relatively low evaporation rates, while the southern one has less inflow and more evaporation, so it's somewhat saltier. My job's as an ecosystem ecologist who works primarily with fish, so it is my job to have the expertise that can be used to speculate on how ecosystems react to various conditions. And the Caspian is pretty productive (really long article but pretty cool and thorough if you're into it) as an ecosystem, but that depends on what you're comparing it to.

Overall it looks like just another cradle map and I'm so glad NES has been so hard at work on this. I recommend NESers stick to D&D games which they know they're good at.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand the point you're trying to make Crezth.

Last edited:
Don't cut yourself on that edge, Crezth.

tl;dr: Those of you who enjoy doing stuff with human migrations or "having fun" should come check the game out. Iggy's a lovely guy, much nicer than me, and it's quite interesting. :)

Holy shizzy I really was not expecting a response but you have delightfully proven me wrong. #nes really is on a hair-trigger. It's like poking a hornets' nest.

This is amazing. I'm so happy. :)

Moderator Action: That previous post meant stop posting about that here in case you missed it - which is the only thing I can assume here. Enough of that.

Back to a topic...

Speaking of cannibalism has anyone played Tooth and Tail? I have not at this stage but it looks of intrigue.

If needed we should consider place a thread in the All Other Games section...

Since I do not have the game as of this moment I think one who has should make.

Need an account to view thread. Can you post a screenshot or copy and paste the OP?
Yeah, here:
Spoiler :
Hello Hollywood! Welcome to the game that has you in the control of the studio, as you make films against other studios. Based on previous games by @LoneRanger and @TheTimeRanger, the goal is two-fold. To make movies, and to head to the Golden Camera Awards to see who comes out on top. It's a hard road, but to the millions of moviegoers out there, its entertainment. To you...perhaps you're doing it for the art or the fame, but whatever reason, its your time to try and shine.

So go on, get out there, and get those camera's rolling...

First off, let's create our studios. Here is your studio sheet.

Studio Name:
Studio Head:
Logo:
Focus
(What sort of films are you going to focus on?):

I may add in some RPing elements with the whole studio head thing, just for fun, though I may not. Either way, the basic info for your studio should come at the start, before going into the next few phases.

1. Buying Phase

Somewhat similar to the previous editions of this game, it has been expanded and altered a little. What you have instead of named comic book characters is the following. You have genre's, which are then broken into media being adapted. This allows for people to go for any sort of film they want to do. To make things fair, if your film covers a couple of the following, you just choose the primary focus. So if you're doing an adaptation of a Jules Verne science-fiction novel, it would categorized as science-fiction first, even with the period/historical elements if you include them. A film based on his life could be a documentary or period/historical depending on approach (are you making a Ken Burns film or something like Capote?)

Genres include:
  • Science-Fiction - 350
  • Superhero - 375
  • Fantasy/Supernatural - 350
  • Drama - 275
  • Horror - 250
  • Action - 175
  • Crime/Thriller - 250
  • Documentary/Biopic - 125
  • Period/Historical - 300
  • Romance - 150
  • Comedy - 150
You also have the Media Source you may be adapting your film from. These include:
  • Television Show- 60
  • Movie Series - 80
  • Comic/Graphic Novel - 80
  • Fiction Literature - 20
  • Non-Fiction Literature - 20
  • Video Games - 60
  • Original Concept - 20
  • Theater - 40
A note. Unlike previous versions, you aren't locked in to a certain type of film or even a certain company when you make films. So if you want to make superhero films based in both Marvel and DC (or any other companies) pools so to speak, you can. Of course, maybe you want to do Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, James Bond, Twilight Zone, Jules Verne...whatever. The game is open to anything and everything (as long as players do try and keep it SFW. See rules for further).

2. Production Phase

Here you will spend points to produce a movie. There are three basic types of film.
  • B-Movie - 100 (Can Be Released Same Year/Turn and Has a + 25pt bonus to Voting Pts)
  • General Release - 120 (Must Be Released Next Turn and Has a + 50pt bonus to Voting Pts)
  • Blockbuster - 140 (Must Be Released Two Turns and Has a + 75pt bonus to Voting Pts)
There is also a second part however.

• Live Action Films cost 90 points
  • Animated Films cost 110 points

You will also do a write-up of the film. Cast, plot, and any production notes you wish to add. This can be as long as you like, but you need something. Even if its two basic paragraphs, put it up.

Depending on the type of films you make and the points spent, it may be possible to release two films within the same turn, or in two turns in a row (two-b movies or a b-movie and a general release for example) depending on things. You don't have to, but you can. Or save your remaining points up in case you win big or not. A hundred or even fifty points can make the difference.

3. Events

Unlike previous games, there will not be marketing. Instead, there will be Events, which can affect everyone depending on thing. This is to keep any hard feelings that may result from wondering who sabotaged your picture out of the game. No one wants to wonder who caused them to have to edit out chunks of their film and point fingers. We'll blame unlucky rolls of the dice.

Appearing at the start of every turn, these may provide bonuses for actions if players incorporate them into their films. While not adding them won't incur a negative penalty, you likely won't get them. However, there will be events that effect everyone and may not always be positive.

Examples:
  • Writers Guild Strike - Due to poor negotiations between studio heads and the WGA, all films released in the next two years must push back their release date by one year.
  • Breaking Through The Great Wall - The Chinese Market is lucrative, and if you want in, you need to stay on their good side. Either set part of your film in China or hire Chinese/Chinese-American actors for prominent roles. Success will gain an extra 50 points to your end of turn voting point.
  • Cool Cola Product Placement - The Cool Cola Company wants its product advertised in a film. For any film that adds their product on screen, you will gain an extra 75 points to your end of turn points.
  • Executive Meddling (Romance) - Are you planning a new film for release? Well, you better add a love interest or focus on a romantic angle quick. Otherwise you will lose 50 points from your end of turn points in after its release.
  • The Next Big Thing - Jump on the bandwagon folks, because the Next Big Thing (Insert Relevant NBT here) is right around the corner. Studios who get on this bandwagon get their choice of +3 votes during voting turn or an extra 50 points in addition to their voting points.
  • No Longer Than... - Executive's say long films have poor turnaround and not enough seats in the...well, seats. All films for the next two turns are requested to no more than four paragraphs in description, so you best be concise. Exceeding this limit will see a - 50 points from your final post-vote tally.
4. Voting Stage

Voting is the final stage after Production. Once everyone who's going for the turn has posted their write-ups (see below), voting will occur if any films are being released. If not, the next turn begins, and voting will occur at the end of it for films being released then (likely several general releases in a turn will cause this to happen).

Voting Points Allocation

1st - 725
2nd - 675
3rd - 625
4th - 575
5th - 500
(Etc)

Those who don't have a film being released during a voting turn will always get a flat 250 points per end of that turn. As well, if there are ties, players will do a run-off vote to determine positions.

5. What a Basic Production Write-Up Looks Like.

Studio Name: Clarion Films
Planned Film: The War of the Worlds
Genre: Science-Fiction (425)
Media Source: Fiction Literature (25)
Film Level: Blockbuster (225)
Type: Live-Action (100)
Planned Release Year: 2002

Staring Number of Points: 1000
Points Spent: 775
Points Remaining: 225

Cast: (Note: If you add photos, please link in text. Scrolling through a series head-shots of characters/actors can be problematic).

Herbert George - ?
Mrs. George - ?
Rupert George - ?
Ogilvy - ?
The Artilleryman - ?

Plot: The first modern alien invasion story, this film is an accurate (if slightly abridged) version of the classic H.G. Wells novel, set in Victorian/Edwardian Britain.

Production Notes:
(I.E., who might be doing special effects, set design, etc. Also, does it have a style or mood different from other films if its a certain genre? Grimdark, comedic, or grounded superhero film for example. You can also post any concept art you find online for characters here)
Rules:

1. Keep it clean. While I don't expect anyone to suddenly write X rated films with descriptions that read like the most violent or sexually explicit of literature, I do hope people understand there's a difference between summarizing a film which may have certain adult elements, and going on and on about said things is just uncomfortable for some. So remember, keep it clean and on task.

2. Keep to the schedule. This game will have a specific time-limit for turn-length. You will have four days for buying and basic production information, and then three days for voting. I'm not expecting you to do a full ten paragraph summary (if that is what you need) right out the door, but give us something. Even a paragraph or two giving a basic summary is okay. And if you're doing a blockbuster, you've got three turns anyways to fill it out more.

Players who have legitimate problems keeping up with the game should say so. Otherwise the game will get held up because no one is talking or saying anything. And that kills the game.

3. Try and keep it roughly realistic. It's one thing to make someone a star maybe a year or two earlier than OTL, but if they didn't become prominent until 2015, and its only 2003 in game, then maybe wait a bit before using them. Also, don't adapt the year something comes out (or even before) but a year or two afterward is good.

4. Have fun. Remember, its a game, and the point is to be creative. Don't get stressed out.

5. Feel free to re-use movie ideas from either the previous games (if you played them and posted them of course) or from other sources, like RP's on the board, short-stories or timelines. Obviously, you should try and do things that you personally wrote, but if you get permission from either the game moderator whose concept you're borrowing, or whoever to use the concept, its good. But lets try and make it based on things you yourself have already written.

Not the thread for this, guys. If you want to discuss the merits of whatever game, there are proper channels you can discuss them in.

Just out of curiosity, and with all due respect, (and NOT as a questioning of moderator decisions) what ARE the proper channels for discussing a game?

But Ree-uus, that's only for IOTs! This thread serves as the NES ad board. ;)

There used to be a thread that tracked games in progress until the OP stopped bothering.

I wanted to host a game again and want to know: would you guys be interested in a movie based IOT using mechanics I stole from this?
I recall arya did several games in a similar style under the title "A World of Media", so there's definitely an audience if you can keep the ball rolling.

Oh the old Organisation and Discussion threads - how I miss them

So since I like and know a lot of ya'll more than I know random strangers on roll20, I figured I'd post on CFC first.

For those of you unaware, I'm out of the forum game business, because I've become addicted to Dungeons and Dragons, fifth edition. At the moment I'm DMing one "for fun" group with some friends, one campaign for my wife, and one paid campaign. My paid campaign has fallen through due to the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, and I'm really needing more of a DnD fix than I'm currently getting. Therefore, I am putting together a group of five adventurers for a campaign on roll20. Four more are required.

Real life details: This will be a consistent group taking place every Tuesday night at 7PM Eastern Standard Time over Roll20, typically voice only. Each session is planned to last 3-4 hours (I'm a working man, can't stay up all night).

The Setting: Tamriel in the Fourth Era from the Elder Scrolls universe.

The Campaign: While I do have some ideas and specific adventures planned, I hope to honor the spirit of the Elder Scrolls by making this an open ended sandbox campaign, directed by the backgrounds and goals of the party. One thing I have discovered while DMing is that my strength lies in improvised campaigns and adventures, rather than working off a rigid module.

Rules: Base Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition ruleset, with some of the Unearthed Arcana allowed, based on what you want to play. The only things not used from the original Players' Handbook is the races, and a handout will be provided detailing the player races available for this campaign. Otherwise all classes and equipment are available as described in the players' handbook.

How to join: Just contact me either over Steam (Same username as here) or via PM here (I'll be checking for any messages over the next couple of weeks before the campaign starts). My goal is to have an online "session 0" for each new player to get a good idea of the character you want to create and how you want to play.

I miss a lot of you, and I hope that some of you may be interested in joining this campaign!

i'm interested, and it sounds fun, but i'm pretty busy myself, and that would basically be immediately after i get home from school on Tuesdays, and I'm not sure I can afford to spend an entire day at school, and then doing a three hour campaign, however I will think about it.

Also, how exactly does one do a paid campaign? I could use extra money >.>

Through a contact I got from a local nursing home, I was being paid in cash to do 1-2 hour sessions once a week for a group of interested seniors. Was fun, but Hurricane Irma scattered them all to the winds, so it may be some time, if ever, that it starts up again.

I would love to (have engaged myself in my first DnD experience on the 28th) but I checked and your time is essentially midnight GMT. Apologies. :(

Through a contact I got from a local nursing home, I was being paid in cash to do 1-2 hour sessions once a week for a group of interested seniors. Was fun, but Hurricane Irma scattered them all to the winds, so it may be some time, if ever, that it starts up again.

well thats cool, its nice to see seniors interested in stuff like that, too bad Irma kinda ruined the whole thing tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom