1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Birdjaguar, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. west india man

west india man Immortal

I called for violent revolution before it was cool

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Honestly the businessman in me slowly but surely was just "well what can IOT offer that a Paradox or Civilization game can't?"

The answers I came to were freeform play and player interaction. Indeed, I remember the appeal of many older games was said to be that they were most exciting when on the brink of war, but when war didn't actually break out.

Of course, too much freeform play has its issues of craziness, and can only be reined in with a really diligent GM or some sort of hard stats that prevent Basil class supercarriers from conquering the oceans Turn 1. There is the option of every player limiting themselves, but as you all know, it only takes one person in a market arrangement to bring down the whole system.

To me, that was the brilliance of Roll2Rule. There were some stats, but everything was fairly freeform, combining the best elements of a political simulation with a DND campaign. Of course, I thought it was a bit *too* chaotic, but I do think it was the right direction. Sadly, my experiment combining hard stats with chance in Choices and Chances was a little too much for me. So, Bring the Fire's minimalist stats combined with an emphasis on character play, with a little religion mechanic for flavor, it was.

All that said, yes, the top-forum thing is a major drag, to say nothing of how the chatroom has driven various people away. I had considered axeing Bring the Fire when I saw the low activity in the chatroom but got a healthy number of signups, so I guess I'll be around for that at least.

3. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

The mistake was chatrooms.

Mute everything that isn't a game you're in or the development chat.

Ban cybersex.

Leave real life discussion for real life.

To each thing its proper place, then you shall know harmony. Praise Xenu.

Lord of Elves and NinjaCow64 like this.
  4. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

5. Tani Coyote

Sounds like a usual case of how gaming buddies don't necessarily translate into buddies, sadly.

Lord of Elves and GenMarshall like this.
  6. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

As much as I dislike IOTChat at times, it was the only salvageable thing to come out of this community, and - for better or worse - played a large role in a lot of people's lives (incl. yours truly). Otherwise, you'd have a community that is essentially about wanking into history about your favourite era or what-ever, and that's just dumb. You cannot prevent such an event, try as you might. The real issue is not in the chatroom in itself, but the staid community that was brought up - both in #nes and in IOTChat.

History repeats itself, etc etc

GenMarshall likes this.
  7. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Adding onto sone's points, I have seen almost every mafia subforum that was already on life support just totally die since Town of Salem came out. The internet is centralizing, and we're on the fringe.

Lord of Elves likes this.
  8. Tani Coyote

It did seem like lots of people were on edge and eager to fight each other, and only a small core of tight knit people remain.

So, my point again. Gaming buddies do not translate into buddies. The same way workplace buddies do not translate into buddies.

If that's the case, IOT probably needs to be consolidated with another subforum. In our heyday we definitely needed an independent subforum, but now?

GenMarshall likes this.
  9. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

TIL Tani is the Niall Ferguson of IOT.

GenMarshall likes this.
  10. Tani Coyote

I require context.

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

The cart before the horse here. The overwhelming majority of communities, both smaller and larger than IOT's, had contradictions but manage to get over said contradictions more often than not because interest in the hobby outmatched animosity. What changed in 2016-2018 compared to 2011-2015 other than people were less interested in IOTs and therefore didn't see IOT as a good enough reason to put differences aside?

No yeah, sure. It won't change the fundamental core issue of "forums are old hat and I just use Reddit and Discord now" and "every other subforum IOT could reasonably merge with are even less active than IOT".

As in, merging all the Mafia/NOTW subforums in the world into one large subforum doesn't change that Town of Salem exists the same way merging All Other Games into one large subforum doesn't change the fact that all these subforums and hobbies are being served, usually better, by subreddits, Discord servers, specialized websites like Roll20, etc.

I'm sure somebody could beg a moderator to merge IOT with a Civilization VI subforum. That would be a fun conversation in which one party must convince the other than such a merge and its goals are desirable or necessary.

I don't entirely see what is so wrong with just enjoying what there is versus nostalgically attempting to create the halycon days of the community.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  12. Tani Coyote

Well now that you mention it, I do have a Reddit account I could always increase my usage of...

13. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

@Crezth I just want you to know that I've been following your posts and your play history in these subforums for literally ten years this Halloween and this time you really made me laugh in real life.

Bleepbloopblop why no new game which game best here's my theory

EDIT: For what it's worth I don't know why you would want to really play politics and political debate on the Internet, except that I guess it follows pretty easily to talk about real politics from talking about fake forum game politics. Play politics in real life if you're so about it. Go do some activism. Argue about dumb little protest slogans and distribute flyers. You'll meet terrible drinking buddies and make enemies for life it'll be great.

14. Tani Coyote

For the love of God I'm already in political science as a field, I don't need to increase my daily intake of RL politics any further!

I want to see giant mechas and wizards duking it out for supremacy when their talks about magic and science coexisting fall apart!

15. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Political science is not political, or a science

16. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

As one who studied international politics: claims sphere of influence over the globe while @everyone over my NAPs and denouncements of @so&so over their claims of my claims.

17. Tani Coyote

Oh no, not the dreaded SoI misuse!

Ailedhoo likes this.
  18. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

OH YES

Tani Coyote likes this.
  19. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

20. Tani Coyote

Perhaps this way I can break my habit of instinctively opening it every 15 minutes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.