Don't forget steam refunds!

Udan mas

Chieftain
Many people including myself have been speculating on whether their machine will be up to civ vi.

Just a friendly reminder that you can purchase the game , load it up and test the performance. If it is abysmally terrible then you can claim the money back via steam refunds ( If you have under 2 hours in the game and do it within 2 weeks)

This means that we can all test our machines out without being concerned about loosing the money!

Except that I had a reply from Aspyr last Wednesday (after they upped the minimum graphics card specs from the 650M that I have) that said there were issues in late game on "larger maps". Steam only guarantees refunds on games played for less than two hours - which is not long enough to get to late game on a standard map and see if those "larger map" issues kick in. Performance on Civ games always slows as the turns rack up, so early game performance may not show up problems.

If someone wants to do a test with a late game file on a large map I can come up with one if there is interest. I'll be running it on my 5? year old 15" Macbook Pro later today and I'll throw a big file on there and see what happens. I started a game on tiny map on there in bootcamp and that worked fine.

Except that I had a reply from Aspyr last Wednesday (after they upped the minimum graphics card specs from the 650M that I have) that said there were issues in late game on "larger maps". Steam only guarantees refunds on games played for less than two hours - which is not long enough to get to late game on a standard map and see if those "larger map" issues kick in. Performance on Civ games always slows as the turns rack up, so early game performance may not show up problems.

The game actually has a 'benchmarking' option on the main menu that loads a game in progress - a large, late game map with a bunch of cities and autoplays. So you could get the sense from that of how long one AI round and animations at the like will take.

My 2008 Mac Pro with El Capitan runs it just fine.

BTW, I have used the refund option at least a dozen times. They gave me zero hassle about it and refunded the money quickly.

Of course, I end up buying a lot of games anyway.... but at least I'm not stuck with clunkers!

Top Bottom