1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't know how to continue

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by NeoGriz, Nov 24, 2016.

1. NeoGriz

NeoGriz Chieftain

Hello everyone,
    I created an account because I'm in need of some help.
    I'm new to the Civilization series and I recently started playing Civilization V.

I've been going through some games and everytime around turn 200 I start getting a lot of unhappiness and my gold starts to decline rapidly. I don't seem to get what I'm doing wrong.

I've included a screenshot and I'm pretty sure that with this limited information I've provided it's near impossible to tell me how to keep my people happy and increase my gold income again, but I thought i'd give it a try.

http://imgur.com/a/FVv6R

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. Moved your thread to the Civ5 S&T section. Best of luck with your game.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016
  2. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

Some extra information would be useful, for example: what level is this? what speed are you playing at? what size and kind of map are you using? how many civilizations and city states?

Most players in this part of the forum use Standard speed, Standard size, default number of Civs and City States, and most often seem to play Pangaea or Continents -- though not always.

The following guide is intended for players who are doing as I stated above, but it is a very solid guide to how to begin the game -- which is probably the most important phase:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/tradition-three-cities-approaches-bnw.25617/

Gold per turn obviously depends to a great extent on Trade Routes, and selling all the Luxuries and Strategic Resources you don't need. Unless you are playing Honor, and can earn gold from killing enemy units. Taking Commerce also helps.

As for Happiness, that is usually a struggle. Plan your growth, settle near to Luxuries, and build all the Happiness buildings that you can. Get City States as allies and buy Luxuries from other Civs. You can usually buy them for 9 gold per turn.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Agree that additional information about your game is necessary.

A few short-term fixes I see -- you have 11 military units around your cities -- why so many (since you are bleeding gold from maintenance costs)? And given how many horse units you have, why is so little of the map explored? Delete several horse units, set several more exploring (you've only met 2 city-states, which is terrible at turn 238), to find any remaining civs and city-states.

City-states (particularly mercantile city-states) and AI trading partners are important sources of happiness. For your immediate happiness problems, in addition to finishing the circus in Dublin, you should consider sending units to satisfy Singapore's quest to kill barbs, and also drop some gold on them -- you will get +3 happiness just by becoming their friend, and another at least 4 happiness by becoming their ally, which would fully address your immediate happiness deficit.

On gold, in addition to deleting a few units to save on maintenance, you need to grow Dublin by at least 1 more pop for your city connection to break even (the road is 6 segments, but Dublin only has 5 pop, so the road is actually costing you gold per turn). You also have extra iron -- try selling some to the AI civs for more gpt (you certainly aren't using it for anything, since your warriors remain unpromoted). If the AI has a luxury you can use, you should be able to trade 5 iron for 1 lux, if your relations with that civ are decent.

Finally, for screenshots, turning on display of resource icons is very helpful. I can't even tell whether you have any improved luxuries in your cities (although I assume you do).

4. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

What social policies are you using? Generally the Tradition tree is the best for a small empire like what you have - it generates bucketloads of happiness in your capital.

What religious beliefs do you have?

Ideally you should be trying to settle some more cities - preferably a bit closer to the AI so you can send caravans to them (There is extra cotton to the North and Marble to the East). You can often trade excess cotton to the AI for either gold or luxuries. Although you should probably avoid this until your happiness improves

In Civ you tend to be placed around a clump of the same resource type. While you can only use 1 yourself you can trade the excess away - that is a significant source of income in Civ 5 and you need to exploit that as much as possible.
    Also you shouldn't waste a great general on a citadel unless you have a border with an AI that is trying to destroy you. Generals provide a flat 15% strength boost so they are handy to keep.