Don't lie - or should you?

Nick Garai

Prince
We all know that we are not supposed to lie. But when are there times when it is alright to lie?

Police officer - 'Do you have any drugs on you?'
You - 'Ummm...Nooooo....'
Police officer - 'Move Along'

White lies are the only good lies.

Not all the time. The truth can be betetr for someone in the long run.

'Do I look fat?'
'Yeah'
'AHHHH!!!'
resulting in that person getting fit. Or something like that.
But what if your wife is pregnant and needs reassurance that you still see her as attractive?

When not lying will result in the serious physical harm or death of a human being. When the consequences of lying are less than the consequences of not lying, and you're willing to accept those consequences.

All lies are bad... Just remember it's not a lie till you get caught...

Lying is okay. As long as it doesn't lead to negative consequences. Even telling big lies can be better. After all like ComradeDavo said, don't tell em' you have pot and nobody is hurt

Here's a BIG one:

Going back in time to when nuclear weapons were the Issue of the Day. Some bright person comes up with the brilliant idea of building a coherent defense against nuclear missiles.

The response of anti-nuclear activists? They OPPOSED the idea!!!

Yes, I said OPPOSED. No, I couldn't believe it either. I was even more amazed when one of said activists explained why:

If defending against nuclear attack is possible, that makes nuclear war survivable--and therefore more likely. Thereby reducing the incentive for humans to get rid of nuclear weapons.​

(The preceding is exclusively the opinion of some radical wing nut, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of BasketCase--errrr, since I called him a wing nut, it's pretty clear what MY opinion is.... :D )

His actual speech was a lot longer than this, but you get the idea. This guy came right out and SAID we should lie to the public about SDI in order to help rid the world of nukes.

Was this lie a good thing or a bad thing? I leave that answer to you.

Well, I think I should let you guys know that my father was the king of Nigeria, and I need your help getting his money out of the country...

Here's a BIG one:

Going back in time to when nuclear weapons were the Issue of the Day. Some bright person comes up with the brilliant idea of building a coherent defense against nuclear missiles.

Yes, I said OPPOSED. No, I couldn't believe it either. I was even more amazed when one of said activists explained why:

If defending against nuclear attack is possible, that makes nuclear war survivable--and therefore more likely. Thereby reducing the incentive for humans to get rid of nuclear weapons.​

(The preceding is exclusively the opinion of some radical wing nut, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of BasketCase--errrr, since I called him a wing nut, it's pretty clear what MY opinion is.... :D )

This is actually pretty logical, current nuclear technology assures the MAD doctrine and thus helps prevent war.

Here's a BIG one:

His actual speech was a lot longer than this, but you get the idea. This guy came right out and SAID we should lie to the public about SDI in order to help rid the world of nukes.

Was this lie a good thing or a bad thing? I leave that answer to you.

The dudes right... It would be even worse if it worked and only one side had it... Pre-emptive attack anyone? I'm sorry, but MAD is not something you wanna screw around with.

Lies for the protection of others are sometimes ok. But it wouldn't "justify" the lie as much as make it the lesser of two evils.

This is actually pretty logical, current nuclear technology assures the MAD doctrine and thus helps prevent war.
Do you trust George Bush Jr. to keep his finger off The Button....? :)

Couldn't resist that one. :D Getting back On Topic here--errr, I mean Off Topic--errrrrr..... :confused: :crazyeye: .....you know what I mean.

Would it be okay for the government to lie to the people about SDI for their own good....?

Would it be okay for the government to lie to the people about SDI for their own good....?

I don't see how that could possibly be a situation for the people's own good...I would think the government would want to announce such a thing! It played a role in the Reagan-Gorbachev talks...

Top Bottom