Don't make silos invulnerable

migkillertwo

Prince
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVc050Nank&feature=youtu.be

ICYMI, nuclear weapons have received a *much*needed overhaul from Civ 4 and 5. Right now, nuclear weapons are a sort of project and your civilization has an "inventory" of nuclear weapons. Further, in order to launch nukes, your civilization needs to construct missile silos.

Nukes also are no longer tactical weapons. Gone are the days where you can spam nukes towards your enemy civilization and then simply parachute in soldiers to then seize their cities, since fallout deals considerable damage to units who end a turn in irradiated tiles, including workers. This makes nuclear weapons truly an exclusively last-ditch weapon and the ultimate deterrent against foreign invasion.

If you ask me, these changes are awesome. I would however make one tiny change, assuming that it is not already built in: don't make silos invulnerable to nuclear attack. Instead, require that silos be hit directly by a thermonuclear device.

Afaik we dont actually know if this doesnt happen already. In real life nuclear missiles are shuffled around different silos to make it difficult to take them out. In game a player could do the same by scattering their silos all over the country, or better yet, grouping them together in a desert to force you to waste many of your weapons on marginal areas. It could work, it may actually happen for all we know, but it could be blunted by that strategy above.
Plus nuclear submarines :D

Its unclear if you can have an actual nuclear triad in this game. There didnt appear to be a tooltip indicating the bombers could use nukes. But it appears that there are at least two ways to maintain second strike capability if you can hold on to your cities long enough to respond.
Basically, as in real life, it seems that it will be impossible to avoid nuclear counterattack from a sufficiently prepared foe.

Its unclear if you can have an actual nuclear triad in this game. There didnt appear to be a tooltip indicating the bombers could use nukes

I'm afraid that's not correct. Bombers can use nukes, hence "Habemus Nuclear triad".

Proof (min 7:30):

Last edited:
Top Bottom