Don't Run in the Tube, You'll Get Shot

Keirador

Deity
Here's a picture a Londoner friend of mine sent me of a notice board at Notting Hill Gate.
Whether you think this is funny, tragic, or outrageous, it's certainly worth seeing. At least they're warning people now.

Attachments

• NottingHillGate.jpg
    NottingHillGate.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 467
Wow...I guess it's a mixture of funny and pitiful that they have to resort to putting up a sign like that. :p

lol, "a bit foreign" =op

If you look a lot foreign, it's best to stay out of the tube entirely, I suppose is the implication.

It’s obviously been written as a joke by one of the workers, and at Notting hill gate? Everyone at Notting hill gate is 'a bit foreign'

So it begins...

Why don't just say that if you are hobo, colored, student or unshaven it's better keep away from Tube.

These kind of things look almost unreal when looking back.

These are the days when we let couple of crazy punks who had bad day decide how to live in our society.

Freedom is in freefall.
Question is are we wearing parachutes and do they open soon enough.

Yeah, I have a friend who lives in England. He looks so Spanish/Filipino, you wouldn't know he was British until he told you.

Why are you talking about it like its real warning? :aargh: A tube worker must have done it as a joke with his mates, the London underground isn’t dumb enough to alienate London’s high ethnic population.

Was this an actual subway worker writing this or just some jokester?

LoughlinNR said:
Why are you talking about it like its real warning?
:eek:
Are you saying that it might be like...a joke? :confused:

Well whichever it was, it seems to be a reasonable notice/warning.

The bloke who was shot was wearing a large coat on a warm day and ran away when police told him to stop, I would rather we shot one innocent suspect than let a real suicide bomber get on a train or bus and kill dozens.

Incidentally, this came in this evening's SnowMail:

A day in the life of London, maybe even a commonplace day in the life of a
Muslim. I am cycling back from Channel 4 at ten thirty seven this morning past
the back of Horse guards parade in line of sight of the back of number 10
Downing Street - suddenly on the edge of the park I notice armed police, four of
them, their guns raised surrounding a tall Muslim man with a dark beard.

He is smartly dressed and has a brand new silver coloured camera bag on the
ground at his feet. The voices are raised with the guns, in the time that I take
to pass the guns lower, the bag is searched, the incident passes, no one seems
to notice. Up on the mall a small knot of tourists are looking from a distance.
One now normal unreported, maybe unreportable incident and a searing experience
for one innocent Muslim man. Which isn't to say that the level of anxiety and
tension which prompts such a scene isn't all too understandable.

I am white, crazy-looking on a bike, with a shoulder bag across my back, yet I
am not stopped in line of sight of number 10: here lies tonight's central
dilemma - do only bag carrying bearded Muslims need to worry about passing
public buildings? Soon they will begin to keep away from them and what is
shared, what is all of ours, will become places they no longer come to. Not just
the pubs where they never might have drank anyway, but now the places that are
central to our democracy and our identity...

bloody cops...

Well, the Tube is known for such announcements as:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologise for the delay to your service. I know you're all dying to get home, unless, of course, you happen to be
married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound and go in the opposite direction

Or

Do you want the good news first or the bad news? The good news is that last Friday was my birthday and I hit the town and had a great
time. The bad news is that there is a points failure somewhere between Stratford and East Ham, which means we probably won't reach our destination

And

Beggars are operating on this train, please do NOT encourage these professional beggars, if you have any spare change, please give it to
a registered charity, failing that, give it to me

Sometimes they say things like:
We can't move off because some idiot has their effing hand stuck in the door

And once in a while you get a gem like:
Please move all baggage away from the doors (Pause..) Please move ALL belongings away from the doors (Pause...) This is a personal message
to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train - put the pie down, four-eyes, and move your bloody golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and shove them up your a**e sideways

Or
May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed on any part of the underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage

Seeing that reminds me of these, particularly that phrase "if you look a bit foreign" - I mean really!? We are on the edge of the slippery slope... :(

"How to Detect Subversion & Witchcraft" (1954)

"You Read Books Eh?" (1969)

Top Bottom