Don't scale resources with no. of players

WileyNg

Prince
Hi,
I always start a game with more AIs than default so that the map becomes crowded with civs and wars become more often.

The only thing that bothers me is when I do that, there are too much resources.
I notice that YnAEP has an option called: Don't scale resources with no. of players.

How do I activate that option? I am using Communitas Map instead of YnAEP.

There is box for resources when you're creating the map, if you think standard is too much, lower it to sparse?

The only thing that bothers me is when I do that, there are too much resources.
Im playing the way you do..with more AI players then suggested, usually double the number. For small maps, instead of 6 civs, I play with 10-12.
Im guessing the issue here is that you are playing with "more luxuries" mod enabled, and thus more luxuries then usual on the map.

Im playing the way you do..with more AI players then suggested, usually double the number. For small maps, instead of 6 civs, I play with 10-12.
Im guessing the issue here is that you are playing with "more luxuries" mod enabled, and thus more luxuries then usual on the map.

@Funak and zer0lis

I think more luxuries is making the land more bountiful as I recall before I used this mod it was just fine.

Anyway, are you having the same problem like me zer0lis?

I think more luxuries is making the land more bountiful as I recall before I used this mod it was just fine.

Anyway, are you having the same problem like me zer0lis?

Before I answer you question id like to say:

-I mostly play with more civs then the suggested number, so i dont know about the scaling of resorces( I didnt knew there is such thing :confused:)
As such, I cant make a comparision.

-The resorces seems pretty well distributed, strategic resorces are scarce, luxuries are rare, normal resources(wheet, fish, etc) are sometimes clustered(word?) and abundant.

-Lost of resources are placed near desert/tundra regions, Im guessing to compensate for bad tiles.

-I always play Communitas map, map scripts are the ones responsible for resources placement/abundance. Try different map scripts.

-I always play Communitas map, maybe map scripts are the ones responsible for resources placement/abundance. Try different map scripts..

The Communitas map is pretty famous for placing way too many resources, probably because resources are fun. If you dislike this, as mentioned before you can turn the resources down from standard to sparse, this kinda balances out the number of resources to a more "normal" level.

On topic I've seen that YnAEP option mentioned before, but I've never actually used that map and I usually keep the number of civs in the game at base values. However, the times when I have played with more the the base number of civs I've generally not noticed a difference. Might just be a thing in YnAEP where they add more resources if there are more civs just to make more citylocations valid?

The Communitas map is pretty famous for placing way too many resources...
As I thought, map scripts are resposable for resorces placement/abundancies, and not the mod itself(I may be mistaken).
OP, If u really want to play Communitas map and have "normal" resources, lowering the value to scarce is the way to do it.

Explanation from a wiki:
Resources - Abundant/Sparse vs Legendary Start
Legendary Start will give more resources at each player's starting location, without affecting the total amount in the world. It does make managing Happiness much easier in the early-game and allows for faster expansion. Cities will grow quickly and produce much more Gold/Production with this setting. This does not mean you will have more Unique luxuries nearby, merely more of what you might have spawned with the normal setting. Strategic Balance ensures all Leaders will have access to Strategic Resources (Horses, Iron, Oil) from their starting locations.

Abundant Resources will increase the amount of Strategic Resources gained from any given tile by 30-40%, without altering whether or not those are within starting locations - finding one +5 source of Iron made to be +8 may be enough to arm your entire Military with Swords, for example. Abundant/Sparse Resource Settings also increase/decrease the amount of Luxuries and Bonus (Food) Resources found in the world by 35-40%. Overall, the best setting for ensuring you have more Resources is Abundant instead of Legendary Start. Legendary Start will not increase the amount of resources total in the world, just clump them closer to Capitals. I did not know myself that Legendary Start failed to increase total luxuries - that discovery was made by a user on reddit who did some testing with the Civ 5 World Builder. Follow this link to see his results.
I am not sure if this will help you, but you could also try out the Mod Really Advanced Setup. It gives you more options to set up your game, maybe there is something for you resource related.. I never used it..

On topic I've seen that YnAEP option mentioned before, but I've never actually used that map and I usually keep the number of civs in the game at base values. However, the times when I have played with more the the base number of civs I've generally not noticed a difference. Might just be a thing in YnAEP where they add more resources if there are more civs just to make more citylocations valid?
Yes you are right. Because the map is pre-built the map has a resource scaling with players. I am not sure if the vanilla or the custom map scripts have also a player based resource scaling..

Never mind, it seems logic that YnAEMP has this feature and it is also understandable that some guys don't want that scaling. I didn't play other map scripts very much, so I have no comparison, but as Funak said with the option enabled it is more challenging. There are many locations which are inappropriate for a city because there are no resources, so they could only have a strategic meaning. By comparing the map with the not scaling option enabled and disabled, you will see that many locations become inappropriate by enabling the scale blocker. I had it one time, that only one nation in Europe had iron as a strategic resource, this made siege weapons extremely valuable..

In my opinion it is better to have fewer resources on the map, it makes trading more valuable and the location for your city more important.

The Communitas map is pretty famous for placing way too many resources, probably because resources are fun. If you dislike this, as mentioned before you can turn the resources down from standard to sparse, this kinda balances out the number of resources to a more "normal" level.

This.

Or there is also another mod out there that makes it so things take more resources (i.e. cavalry takes 1 horse and 1 iron, ironclad takes 1 oil and 1 iron, etc). Not sure if it's compatible with CPP, but might be worth a try.

This.

Or there is also another mod out there that makes it so things take more resources (i.e. cavalry takes 1 horse and 1 iron, ironclad takes 1 oil and 1 iron, etc). Not sure if it's compatible with CPP, but might be worth a try.

Considering CPP added a ironcost on all siegeunits (except rocket artillery, for some reason) I don't think adding more ironcosts to things is a good idea. Quite like the strategic resource balance at the moment. It is annoying that coal and horses goes obsolete, but what are you supposed to do about it?

Top Bottom