1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to beat a dead horse but...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by iam2509, Feb 3, 2014.

1. iam2509

iam2509 Chieftain

I know this has been talked about a million times but since the latest patch my Emperor games have shown my AI opponents to be particularly docile. In my last five games at least I have had NO declarations of war on me and on only ONE time did the Monguls declare war on the Zulus.

I'm starting to get paranoid that there is something wrong with my installation or that one of my settings has somehow nerfed the AI.

I play the Spanish - I guess I am addicted to playing that civilization and love looking for the natural wonders.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am amazed by people that post saying their games have WARS everywhere...

2. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Every game is different. Distance to other AIs and which AIs they are is always different. Your military strength compared to the others is also a factor. There are too many different variables at play to make such a decisive statement one way or the other.

3. ixias

ixias Warlord

Well there are a few things that may be causing this to happen.

The AI in BNW tend to be a lot more peaceful in the early game, mostly due to lack of funds. They're going to try to get trade routes running and, to my knowledge, use that to determine if it's worth attacking someone.

Another thing is the actual AI. Sure Shaka and Mongolia are generally aggressive, but are other Civs settling in their face? What do the demographics look like in terms of military strength? I've seen plenty of wars where no one has a substantially military/tech lead over anyone, leading to few wars.

I'm not saying it isn't more peaceful than Gods & Kings, but wars definitely still happen. I find a lot of aggression starts happening in the Renaissance Era and onward once a few Civs have built up their empire.

4. Callonia

Callonia Deity

If you're very powerful you will find a lack of willing opponents.

Make yourself weak and they will come forth unless they're incredible pacifists.

I once had a neighbors like Aztecs and Zulus.

150 turn long of kumbaya.

I ragequit'd that map. It was spectacularly peaceful.

And there is other ways you can do to manipulate in order to create a world full of wars.

Purposefully picking the powerful AIs while ignoring the bad ones. :)

Hiawatha, greeks, siam, etc and put them all in the same game with you in then set the only victory condition to Domination.

5. Brutha2

Brutha2 Chieftain

The best solution I've found is just to increase the number of civilizations, so there's much more of a struggle for land.

6. Cedbird

Cedbird Warlord

The last two answers are the things on my mind.I think the wars are fine.I always play Emperor Large Earth or Continents with 14 Civs 5 more than the map should have I think.The reason why is I want to make sure there is some friction.Some games it still takes too long for friction as the Civs start to get closer together.But some times its just right.I also put a few extra CS to make sure there is enough friction and competition for CS.
    Continents always give me plenty of fighting but Earth has its fast share. And like quoted comment I had the most fun about a week ago putting Greeks,Mongols,Rome,Huns,Boudica,Shaka...insert your favorite mad men/women bent on your head on a platter :lol: . Really fun.But yes if you keep your military strength up and trade routes flowing to his AI or they have alot going to you it is going to keep the wars down.

7. dopingman

dopingman Warlord

Played a fast game on King last night and a lot of wars were going on, mostly Washington beating the crap out of Napoleon, Shaka bickering with Isabella and the Incans swallowing the Celts whole. Mostly kept my neutrality, except for that forward settled city from Shaka which I gained in a peace deal after killing his military.

Emperor has only slightly more warring compared to King and as always a lot of random factors determine how peaceful the game will be, I've also seen games on Emp with no wars going on at all. However, BNW tends to have less wars then GnK, could be because armies in BNW tend to be smaller due to less gold avaible to the AI.

To enusre wars, piss of the AI royally. Denounce, settle forward on them, tell them to stop settle towards you, demand tribute from CS under their protection, citadel bomb them, propose unwanted stuff in the world congress.
    One of the most commonly working methods is to settle forward on them. They will go nuts, especially if it is an expensionist AI.
    Or just declare on them, skubtastic warfest will ensure unless your military is fckhuge and everyone cowers in fear of your might.
    AI's declaring on you is mostly a gamble.

8. cakes

cakes Prince

you're probably playing maps that are too big

9. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

There are plenty of wars in BNW, I suspect the OP hasn't played it long enough. 3 things I've seen to provoke war are:
    ICS, I'd say the limit is between 5-6 cities before the negative diplo modifier shows. This includes cities captured/ gotten in peace deals.
    Forward settling.
    Religious conversion when that civ has already founded a religion.

10. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

I consider the OP's situation to be a feature, not a bug.

I quite like that if I'm in the mood for a peaceful game that its possible to create a situation where war never occurs. Maintain a relative position of military strength, avoid over expansion, avoid deliberately aggravating actions, and the world will leave you alone: this is good and proper. On Deity, much harder of course, mostly because of the time it takes to hit a position of relative military strength, and the speed at which the AI forward settles on you.

On the other hand, I'm also aware that if I play in a bellicose and aggressive style, sooner or later I'm going to have the world uniting to try to take me on. Thats good too.

The Civ 5 AI is pretty shoddy in places, and the warmongering calculations do lack finesse, but I do like the fact that it at least responds to your actions and playstyle a little.

11. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I have plenty of wars, in all eras in my games (standard). I have noticed that on large and even more so on huge, if you play with the pre-selected number of civs, it can take a long time before border tension or even before you can say hello to them. So if playing on larger maps, then I guess adding civs (and CSs) could be a solution.

Then of course if you thing that there is not enough war, perhaps you could pick a fight yourself, for example if someone asks if you will join them in a war (I got plenty of these requests), perhaps saying yes could be fun.

12. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

The OP probably doesn't play on deity... (as far as I know we have plenty of wars there...)

13. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

I wouldn't call AI too peaceful, they are just more rational. Maybe they don't DoW that often, but I constantly get their requests to go on war against someone. They now try to gang up on a common foe or declare war only if they have a larger army - in other words, they don't wage war unless they know they can win it. You know, just like real players - except they still naively think that "more = better", which is not true on levels below Immortal (Oda with 2 samurais and 5 classical era units? Get wrecked by 3 CKNs).

14. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

He said he was playing Emperor games. Nothing wrong with that: Deity isn't the default, you know. :)

15. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

And I playing on King or Emperor (depending on mood) and got plenty of wars and my post above was with that in mind.

16. Wodan

Wodan Deity

I get a kick out of people saying a game is "too peaceful."

If your playstyle is nonoffensive (to the AI) and you want a relaxed, peaceful "build" game, what are you complaining about?!?

OTOH, if you want a game with lots of war, it's quite simple:
    • bribe your friends into attacking others
    • DOW someone yourself
    Do that a couple of times, and you will have wars left and right.

17. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

I totally agree. Feature, not a bug.

18. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

1) Download "More War" mod (CFC)
    2) Download "Expansionism" mod (CFC)
    3) Download "Less warmonger hate" mod (steam)
    4) Download "Better AI" mod (CFC)

All these problems are solved.
    I could never understand why people who are not obsessive about taking steam achievements don't try to solve their problems with game using mods ;)

19. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

A key for me is to load up a few extra players on the map whatever the size, 2-3 than the rcommended amount usually (use the quickturns mod to alleviate turn times). In a game where you could see Venice, India, Korea and Ethiopia you will have right there civs that are by design not going to settle a lot of of cities (or none in the case of venice). With all the huge tracts of land (monty python, anyone) available there isn't the natural border tension going on so the AI has no incentive to make war.

20. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

Wait wait wait! Better AI mod? This exists?

Must have! Can you link this for me please?