1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dont you just wish... they hadn't used a 3d engine?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Abaddon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

I just wish they had give an option like you can play either 2d isometric or 3d and the game restarts with the new setting. 3d graphics was nice in beginning but after a while it becomes frustrating when the late game starts freezing. Give me Civ4 rules on Civ 3 engine and I would enjoy the game moe than I enjoy it now.

2. Gangor

Gangor King

Why does everyone assume it's the 3D graphics that's causing the loss of performance? In reality, the algorithms for calculating trade routes and the like have more of an impact. If you are concerned about the performance of the game, maybe you should stop demanding so many complex gameplay features be added ;)

3. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

That might be for lag in play, but for graphic problems where your video card doesn't have enough video memory to play (my problem) than its the graphics fault.

4. Albatoonoe

Albatoonoe Warlord

The next civ would probably have pretty similar graphics. 3D allows for a lot of new stuff, so I think it was for the best.

5. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

what on earth does 3D allow? it does not affect game play in ANY way beyond aesthetics.

6. Willem

Willem Deity

It allows them to produce the game for less money and time.

7. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

I don't think you are really in a position to judge.

8. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

This is very true, and so is the point about other effects on game playability other posters made (trade rate and movement agolrithms etc.). Yes, 3D does have some effect on video performance, but its not the single killer/problem generator many think.

Originally when it first came out I thought a bit like the OP, but I've changed my mind after many hours of play. Its not the combat animanitions so much as the appearance of the cities on scroll down, the iittle occasionaly animinations by units (stretches, raises weapon, etc.) and so on. Little things but they add to the overall enjoyment, esp. the scroll into close up city view. I have played Civ since it was a dos app (bought my first pc in 91/92 SPECIFICALLY to play Civ), and I have to say without these little features, the game can degrade into a spreadsheet chasing numbers chase ... at one point I was keeping a calculator at hand to determine how long a city would grow if I changed city workers on tiles around ... the game was becoming work. This little stuff helps avoid that and allows emersion into it.

On the surface saying that having an option to ALSO play 2d isometric OR 3d would be better, but this would have added cost and time to deveolment as the alternate graphics would have had to be generated. You wish to have waited 6 months to a year longer for the game to have come out?

How about this? OP, set up a poll, or someone start a new thread with a poll, on this issue. I'm to busy playing to do so but could vote during eating meals (the main time I visit the forums- hard to play and use knife and fork at the same time, so just lurk intsead.

Civ on, all.

9. vilemerchant

vilemerchant Prince

If you ask me the game doesn't really appeal visualy. It's got crappy, blocky 3D graphics of no greater appeal than some old school game like Quake 3. It's not impressive, the only thing the Civ4 engine has managed to achieve is it runs slow at the best of times and at other times stops completely.

10. Willem

Willem Deity

It sounds to me like you need to upgrade your computer.

11. Albatoonoe

Albatoonoe Warlord

3d for Civ has potential. They could do a lot with it. They aren't doing much with it now, except for the global view and zooming, which I definitely do like. They would probably take more advantage of the 3d engine in the next installments.

12. SneakitySneak

SneakitySneak Chieftain

Yeah, it looks nice, sometimes, but I think with its square coastlines and units and terrian improvements and roads and cottages all over it looks worse. but I hated civ3's pastel, washed out colors

13. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

hmmm, im confused how 3D is easier to create than 2D graphics... why not use spruced up civ3 ones?

For me i would have prefered cIV rules, on a Civ3 look.

14. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Graphics don't appeal to me, so having a 3D engine didn't influence my decision in getting the game. Personally I still love the old Civ2 graphics over Civ3 :p

Anyways...I think having a 3D engine was one of those inevitabilities that was going to happen to Civ anyway. Better sooner rather than later, and there's still the older versions for folk to play.

15. Willem

Willem Deity

Because for 2D, every single frame has to be drawn out then the animation compiled. At an average framerate of 30 frames per second, that amounts to alot of drawing for each and every unit in the game. With 3D, you can set up vector points at various frames and the software will fill in the spaces in between.

Because people like change. I wouldn't want to play a game that looked exactly like Civ 3. Plus PC games have very stiff competion with consoles like the XBox 360, where you have near video quality graphics. If game companies don't make at least an effort to match those standards, they won't be in business very long. The graphics bar in video games has been set very high these days, and every producer has to raise their standards in order to survive.

16. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

To follow on with what Willem said. The artists at Firaxis made 3D models with animations for Civ3. They then would render these out frame by frame and make them into animated 2D units. Invariably, these frames need touched up. This is a fairly tedious (and consequently expensive) step in the art pipeline that can be avoided by using the 3D animations (which you made anyways) directly.

17. ShadowDagger

ShadowDagger Chieftain

You need to play the game on a computer that is actually capable of running the game to its potential. My comp with a 7800GT, AthlonX2 4200+, 1GB RAM, runs the game on highest res and graphics settings and it looks simply amazing. I understand that not everyone has a computer like that. That is why you turn down the settings and resolution so it runs faster. Before I got this comp I was running cIV on a 5200FX, P4 2.8GHz, and 512MB RAM. I had it on lowest settings and the game ran smooth all the way through the game without problems except for loading times. Even then the game still looked great, though obviously not as good as it does in 1280x1024 on highest graphics with high res textures.

18. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

I use to think Civ3 looked pretty nice, but after playing Civ4 I would never want the Civ series to go back to 2D!!!!! Civ4 is far better game both in looks and gameplay. If you haven't tried it yet you're missing out....;)

19. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

Would it be nice to have the option of a 2-D interface that worked on lower-end machines? Sure. I could play on my laptop then.

Is it essential (or even important) to me? Naah. I can live with the 3-D even though I'm stuck with a low-performance on-motherboard Intel graphics chipset. I wouldn't have the patience to play huge maps anyway.

20. AvianAvenger

AvianAvenger Warlord

2d's the way to go heh :goodjob:

I love little 2d sprites, they just have so much more character than 3d objects. I think its because they can fit so much detail in them without slowing down your machine.

My fav rpg 'baldurs gate 2' uses 2d sprites, nwn didn't come close to how good it was because the 3d worlds just looked all the same and crappy.

I think the general opinion of marketing is that if a game is not 3D than it wont sell well.., it would still sell to me