1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't you think, the Internet is the Great Wonder

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by julo, Nov 21, 2003.

1. julo

julo Chieftain

I am sure, the Internet is the Great Wonder. According to true History of the our world you can invent it after first Satellites (it was Sovjet "Sputnik" in 1957) and Computers (difficult to say, about 1940's).
    I put it myself after Computers advance achieved.

To have the first internet connection on the world you have to build minimum two Research Laboratories before, am I right? :D
    But if you have Internet discovered, you have Research Laboratories everywhere (almost ;) ) in your Kingdom... :king: It means Internet gains Labs in all your cities.
    I put the price of Internet on the level of Theory of Evolution: 60, but you can decide yourself - maybe 80?
    How much culture per turn generates Internet? I gave 6 there, but it is too much, I'm afraid...

Into Civilopedia I propose very long text (but it is short enough to be displayed :) ) - shorted from http://www.davesite.com/webstation/net-history.shtml but you can change it, of course.

I show two proposals of Civilopedia icons, for your own choice, and very simple splash.

Have fun !!!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/InterNet.zip

=============================

Would somebody be so kind and teach me:
    Like Ukas wrote in his files with his Wonders, you have put your Great Wonders after Battlefield Medicine, No. 63 Wonder. But his advice in the document "How To Add Improvements And Wonders In Civ3" suggest to give number 74 (and next 75, 76 etc. if you have more), like here:

#WON_SPLASH_63
    art\wonder splash\Battlefield Medicine.pcx
    #WON_SPLASH_74
    art\wonder splash\Internetsplash.pcx
    #########################################

Why #WON_SPLASH_74, not #WON_SPLASH_64 ???

2. I have read in this Forum it is impossible (or very difficult) to put your own Great Wonders on Aerial View, you have to cancel Pyramid or Collossus, or another one, if it is ver large postument. But is it possible to have smallest postuments there, like or ?

====================

By the way, this refrigerator it is my own proposal for another Great Wonder: Refrigeration. Look --> here

2. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Very cool. Nice pictures! :)

--CK

3. Straczynski

Straczynski Bolshevik Nerd

That greenish icon will already be used on StrOMod for the internet TECH... :) Found it on Google too? :D

I guess the World Wide Web would work better as a Great Wonder... You know, Usenet and the BBS system had little to no impact on the world if compared to the Web. Well, that's what I did to my mod, at least... :)

Because WON_SPLASH_64 to WON_SPLASH_73 are already used by the spaceship parts.

Nope. You have to delete another building if you want yours to show up on the aerial view.

4. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

In my opinion (and mod) the Internet should be be a small wonder (basically every civ should plug itself into the net once the tech is developed)- as the internet's main benefit is that it interconnects the world...

5. julo

julo Chieftain

Of course, on Google. Originally it was on ---> page.
    Because function on this Forum does not work, that's why I did not know if somebody has used this idea or picture before.

This violet icon I have found on Google too. By the way, if we're used to work with green icons it is easy to have it in greenish shade:

Thank you.

I was just afraid the answer will be like this...:cry:

Let's have a compromise: Internet would be a Small Wonder and WorldWideWeb - a Great one... :D
    Would somebody try and show that idea?

6. Straczynski

Hm... What about this, make the Internet a SW that doubles the science output on the city where it's built, and the Web a GW that gives advances, à-lá The Great Library? :)

7. pesoloco

pesoloco Civ-aholic

8. julo

julo Chieftain

Why not?
    I just did install some of your StrOMod wonders, it seems to be good idea to use my Internet as Small Wonder together with your WWW as Great...

9. spincrus

spincrus sol invictus...

:rotfl:

10. julo

julo Chieftain

At the end, I have changed my mind once again: The Internet is the Advance, and World Wide Web - the Wonder. Small or Great - did not decided yet, I have to check how the flag "doubles happiness of" -> research lab really works. If it works properly - it has to be Great Wonder. But if it does not - it can be a Small one...

11. Straczynski

Just like in StrOMod... :) Except that the Web has the Great Library flag...