Doom III

Akka

Moody old mage.
I'm surprised to see that no other have made a thread about this game (the only other being to talk about a fake e-bay auction, not the game itself).

So, well, I'm voluntering ^^

It's, basically, a retelling of Doom first of the name : you come as a security guard in a science station on Mars (it was Phobos in the first game, here it's directly on the planet) that deals with many experiment, including teleportation.
And then, all Hell break loose (and trust me, it's more than just an expression).

I just finished it today. Wow. That was a blast. The game have some somehow serious shortcomings (far too linear, really, really FAR TOO LINEAR ; a bit simplistic on the gameplay side, not much variety in the kind of landscape - dark tunnels for about 95 % of the game - even if it was expected ; some tricks, like the "light flickers and a monster appear" or "you take a bonus and this make a pannel move in the wall and a monster appear") are REALLY overused, but it also has incredible strenghts :

- First, as it's the first thing that will blow your eyes, the engine. It's simply incredible. Dynamic lights everywhere, and photo-realist-like models. It's, of course, quite gluttonous, and require a good card and computer, but it's not THAT demanding (runs quite smoothly on my 2200+, 1 Go RAM and Radeon 9700). The details are impressive, and the lights are just, well, awesome. Half of the game is the lights and shadows, and it's the first time I REALLY noticed an ennemy coming from behind because I saw his shadow before he reached me (you know, the kind of things you only see in movies).
The models are simply gorgeous, and life-like. They are incredible of details and animations. The final boss is a masterpiece.

- Second, the ambiance. This game is all about ambiance. It's dark, it's spooky, it's full of anguish and despair and cries in the dark. It's the first game since the first Doom where I was REALLY scared playing it. No joke. Of course, you have to play along (ie : play at night, all lights off, alone and with a good sound). But then, it's an horrible experience, in the meaning that you will hope to never live it for real. After some jours, I had to stop playing, simply because my nerves gave up and I couldn't take any more. Pressure is constant, and the whole game is creepy and gory. There is not that many monsters (there is still plenty, just less than oone could expect from a Doom), but it's on purpose, to put the player on his toes, always waiting for something, most of the time horrible, to come.
It's REALLY a game that deserve it's restriction to 18 years-old and more. Really. Never let a children plays it, unless you plan to have him awake in cries in the middle of the night for several weeks in a row. Yes, it's that frightening.

The whole game is a kind of survival horror, with emphasis on "horror". It's not hard as a game, and you rarely die, but you are constantly scared about something popping in front of you, or spooky things happening, creepy sounds or voices, demonic laughters, ugly monsters and so on.

These two things are the pillars of Doom III. For the old-timers, there is also the pleasure to see most, if not all, of the "good old friends" coming back : imps, dog-like demons, hellknights, mancubi, cacodemons/elemental of pain, archviles, lost souls, revenants, THE cyberdemon, and many others. Yes, they're back. For you.

*evil laugh*

Ankka: Thanks for the write up. I was a big-time DOOM & DOOM II player in the 80's & 90's. I've been reading about this on the ID web site and was hoping somebody would post an unbiased review (not trade publication review where everything's great). Looks like I've got a new item for my Christmas list.

BTW: Do you know of any site that's posted a demo version (Like the old Doom 1, postiing levels 1-3 only)?

Thanks Akka!

I have looked on the official website and at reviews etc and couldn't find the minimum specs (especailly graphics card) - glad to hear it runs on your PC. My graphics card will need an upgrade, but I was planning on doing that soon anyway. :)

Now roll-on Half-life 2 :D

I played Doom 3 for about an hour or so. I was bored. Didn't even find it that scary. They've got the right atmosphere for making you scared, I just never felt scared. And I was playing it in the dark with only a small lamp on. :rolleyes:

Course the graphics are great, but that's not enough to make me keep playing.

I think it's great, wish my computer was good enough to run it. To make it creepy you NEED surround sound

Denyd : I don't think there is a demo version, considering how Id Software was keen on keeping all about the game secret (oh, and I'm Akka, Ankka is someone else ^^).

Ainwood : Actually, it runs in 800x600 with details on High and all options but FSAA selected on my computer. So it can even works on worse computers. But to get good framerate, there is a little tweaking to do on the configuration file : by default, the game use only 20 Mo of RAM to stock the textures. Which is REALLY not enough. You have to look for "seta image_cacheMegs" and replace the "20" with something more consistant (I went for 384 myself), and then you hugely improve your framerate :)

denyd said:
Ankka: <snip>

Akka said:
<snip> (oh, and I'm Akka, Ankka is someone else ^^). <snip>
That would be me. :p :D

So the Doom's were actually Horror games? I thought they were more like FPS or so... :hmm:

I wonder how Matrix hasn't found this thread yet

Doom is the game that got the FPS market on the front page. The situation is a combination of science fiction and horror. Lots of evil demons, splattering blood and mazes & puzzles to solve. Doom has a couple of brothers in the genre, Quake & Castle Wolfenstien (and their sequels), plus a sequel of it's own Doom II which promised a sequel after the final victory. And considering his avatar, he'll be showing up here sometime soon.

Can't wait to play it!!

But it's so expensive and I'm so poor! :cry: Ah well, I'll probably be able to borrow it from a friend. ;)
Though...will it run on my computer at all? :eek: (850 Mhz, 384 MB SDRAM, 3D Prophet NVidia with 8 MB RAM)

Matrix said:
Can't wait to play it!!

But it's so expensive and I'm so poor! :cry: Ah well, I'll probably be able to borrow it from a friend. ;)
Though...will it run on my computer at all? :eek: (850 Mhz, 384 MB SDRAM, 3D Prophet NVidia with 8 MB RAM)
8 MB! :wow:

my condolences..

I liked the weapon set of Doom II, they were all useful to the very last levels. The weapons of Quake were more of one-replacing-the-other. Is the weapon set of Doom III same as in the earlier games?

So the Doom's were actually Horror games? I thought they were more like FPS or so...
Doom is the very start of FPS (after Wolfenstein's Castle), and the one which make it a genre.
But it was exceptionnal in having an EXTREMELY bad, unhealthy and oppressive atmosphere. Well, you were actually battling against Hell itself, and the graphics, sounds and situation were putting the player in a very stressful situation.
It's quite horrorful, yes, in fact ^^
I liked the weapon set of Doom II, they were all useful to the very last levels. The weapons of Quake were more of one-replacing-the-other. Is the weapon set of Doom III same as in the earlier games?
The weapons are EXACTLY the same, except for some minor things :
- you have to reload (YAY ! This is much more credible for a game, and it's much more stressful in the middle of a fight ^^)
- no more spikes on the fists.
- no double-barreled shotgun, only single.
- there is hand-thrown grenades.
- there is a submachinegun.
Except for these small changes - and, obviously, the graphics -, they are the carbon copies of the first game.

Matrix : I don't want to be cruel with you, but... Well... Upgrade your computer first ^^

Matrix said:
Inter32 said:
8 MB! :wow:

my condolences..
I guess that's a no. :undecide: It used to be a very good one...three-and-a-half years ago...
Dang, is my machine that old?! :eek:

This game is great but I personally don't find the graphics all that impressive... strange. The atmosphere is really scary though. I love the demonic laughter.
BTW, can anyone tell me how far I am into the game if I'm at Alpha Labs sector 3?

About two fifth of the game, roughly.

Top Bottom