1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, May 23, 2016.

1. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Well, as a long time fan of doom, i was convinced that after the rather disastrous launch of the beta, it was going to be another glorious franchise lost to the vain whims of marketing men and COD morons. Yet, after reading a few reviews, and seeing that this time the developers may have actually understood what it was that made the game great in the first place, i thought Why not go and pick it up.

Doom is, in my opinion, an unmitigated triumph. Its the best FPS i have played in years. It has always slightly annoyed me that FPS developers had basically gone down the quasi RPG road, like in Far Cry. IMO it just doesnt work as well. They arent bad games, sure, but they miss the essence of what a great FPS used to be about. And by that i mean a great shooter. And Doom has it in spades. Its light on story, but big, very big on gameplay. Its also super fast and doesnt hold your hand. If you like fast paced action, big guns, big sounds, and glorious brutality, then you cant really go wrong with Doom. The levels are huge and very well designed as well. Only drawback i have found is that i really need to upgrade my rig. I always thought it might be a bit touch and go, and i wasnt wrong. My gtx580 just doesnt cope well with it at all. Mostly its ok if i turn everything down to minimum or off entirely. But really i need a new card. And Doom is that much fun i am going to go out and buy one. I highly recommend it.

Have not tried multiplayer yet. I think my PC specs might put me out of the running for a while though until i get a new GPU.

2. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

It looks good, I intend to get it when it goes on sale. I can't justify spending $60 on a game that has multiplayer that I'll never use as part of it's value proposition. From what I've heard the single player campaign is only something like 10-12 hours long, I can get more gameplay time than that out of a lot of $20 games. When there's a sale or a price drop I'll definitely get it though.

3. 14thwarrior

14thwarrior Chieftain

Excellent game, as someone who played the original back in dickety two, and even Wolfenstien back in the prehistoric era of PC games, I have to say so far it's pretty well realised. I haven't played much beyond the first few levels, but so far I would give it a decent thumbs up. Like the original it's a game where if you stop to think you will be dead soon, carnage basically. Can't fault it so far. :)

4. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yes im just over half way through now and far from slowing down it just seems to get more and more ridiculously good. I especially like the way you can gain mastery over your weapons, which in turn unlocks a unique ability, which you unlock by performing a combat ability (like 50 headshots with the combat rifle). My only gripe with it is that i find the map pretty useless.

5. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

It's near the top of my list of "games I must buy when they go on sale".

7. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Make sure you have a decent graphics card. Mine is grinding to a halt. Cant wait for next pay day and then i can get my new card.

8. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Being a RPG fanatic i come from the other side of the spectrum, but i cant agree more anyway. Cant stand the so called action-RPG genre or FPS with "RPG elements". Lets dont mix things up please...

https://youtu.be/uOfutUPy6Tk?t=87

9. 14thwarrior

14thwarrior Chieftain

Indeed I noticed the graphics, I don't know because I play with a GT980xi, but I can imagine anything lower than 700 or the other equivalents is going to lag somewhat.

If Only I could afford a Titan. :)

10. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Well, i think the new Polaris from AMD looks pretty sweet. As much power and more than a 980ti and for $200. Whats not to like about that. Its almost half the price of comparable cards.

11. 14thwarrior

14thwarrior Chieftain

Yeah my bad I am living in the stone age, I tend to forget that a few minutes after you have bought a decent graphics card: it's a crap heap compared to the new developments 6 months later. And your awful card costs 50p or 35c in American money. :) ;)

Indeed.

12. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Certainly not awful. Its basically one of the best cards you can get without going for a Titan. I do think its fair to say though that the release of Polaris by AMD is the most hotly anticipated release of graphics cards we have seen for a substantial amount of time. Essentially they put high end VR ready cards into the hands of people for the current price of most mid to lower end cards. The Titan – which dominates the market (in terms of its tech), has suddenly become reachable for a tiny fraction of the price. Polaris technology isnt far behind it in some of the early benchmarks, and it uses a fraction of its power.

13. 14thwarrior

14thwarrior Chieftain

Indeed sherbz. It looks like a game changer atm. If you'll pardon the pun. :)