1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

doomed civs sacrificing themselves

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by chazzycat, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Here's the situation in my last game:

3 races on the continent: me, japan and Rome. Rome is between myself & Japan. I have generally been playing peacefully all game, and Japan has been a douche. He has attacked me & Rome both a few times (separately) but not gained much traction against either of us. So I have been defending myself & hoping that Rome can do the same, as I do not want Japan to get the Roman land. Due to my luxury situation (8 ivory and barely anything else) I am trying to play peacefully & so I have not tried to conquer Rome. I have got along with them very well, with many trades and some DOFs.

So, eventually (I think around rifling?) Japan starts having success in taking over Rome, finally. Rome's army breaks and Japan starts taking cities. By this time my military is advanced as well, so I kind of want to join in the war and take half of Rome's land. However I am still concerned about diplomacy and taking the back-stab/warmongering hit, so I do not.

Next thing I know, Rome declares war on me! Totally out of the blue, and there is absolutely nothing to be gained from it. My military is far superior and they are being invaded in another front. The only possible outcome for them is that it hastens their demise.

So, the only thing left in my head to explain this, would be they want ME to have their cities/land instead of Japan. Basically they hate Japan more than me, so they would prefer I take some cities instead of Japan taking them all. That's what I went on to do, splitting their empire between me & Japan.

Does anyone know if this is true? It's very humanlike behavior (childish almost) but I was suprised to see an AI act that way. Maybe there is another factor I am overlooking? Any ideas?

2. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Frankly, I doubt so. I don't know what their reasons were, but certainly not the one you exposed. Coding an AI is really difficult, and this seems too subtle to be true.

3. UrbanX

UrbanX Absolute Monarch

the AI is not that smart. it was probably something simple, like they covet lands that you own since you guys were on the same continent.

4. Furycrab

Furycrab King

From my experience, when a smaller civ dow, it will do so if it has a chance. I've had a game where a near dead civ was next to me, practically staring me down with practically a unit or cannon in every single one of it's hexes but not DOW.

Usually when I've had out of the blue DOWs it's because I was at war with someone else who convinced them to also go to war.

If Rome capitulated to japan, it is possible they got convinced afterwards to DOW you.

5. black213

black213 Emperor

It would be actually rather neat for an AI to give their lands to a friend while being massacred. But I wouldn't think it makes sense for them to DOW you.

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I understand the doubt, I'm totally there with you guys. Just trying to figure this out.

@Furycrab I was not at war with anyone else at the time, and Rome was still at war with Japan. Best answers yet though.

7. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

the AI is nevere known for making good decisions, this doesn't surprise me.

8. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Ai just make rondom decisions bad decisions.

I had same thing in my game i was in industrial era and had infantry with artillery why all the others are in the renaissance. Greece atacked me a couple turns ago and i defeated them just captured a few cities and let them have 2 cities remain... No warmonger hit:)

I was friend with siam,washington...

Then suddenly rome decided thought it was a good idea to declare war.
    He said that i was growing to strong.

Well 5 turns later he asked for peace ok:)

Sow he atacks you if you are growing to strong especially cesar because they are really victory competitive(AI threats look at politics in numbers).

9. cccv

cccv King

ok, only one thing comes to mind: did you lose trading opportunities when rome started getting swallowed? Sometimes positive modifiers suppress negative ones. Maybe Rome had "desires friendly relations" because of the trading opportunities with you. then it lost the resources it had to trade, thus losing "desires friendly relations," which meant a bunch of negative modifiers were no longer being suppressed. "Desires your land," "thinks you're expanding too much," and all of those modifiers that typically come with sharing a boarder. Take a look, see what modifiers if any you have with Rome.

10. Kerosene31

Kerosene31 Prince

I've seen this happen too. It seems sometimes the AI feels they are pinned in a corner and basically decides to go down fighting. In my last game I was next to Hiawatha and he only had 1 city. He attacked me with a pitiful army. He had warriors and spearmen while I had iron and swordsmen already. I quickly turned him back and he gave me a good peace agreement so I left him alone, then soon he does it again with another pitiful army.

I didn't want to be a warmonger, but enough was enough. I wipe him out (still only had 1 city) and now of course everyone else hates me and I spend the rest of the game at war with others because I'm a warmonger.

Hopefully both of these get changed in the new patch. Usually I can keep at peace as long as I build a big enough army, but once in awhile civs just go haywire.

11. KevinMiles90000

KevinMiles90000 Warlord

Ever played Risk with a bunch of your friends, piss one of them off and then have them put in a situation where they realize they can't win so they might as well get back at the person that pissed them off? Kind of like that.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

@cccv I think that is the most likely explanation, thanks. Hadn't thought of that. I don't have the save anymore but I'm quite sure some of the luxuries we were trading had been captured by Japan. Still weird but makes some sense.

@KevinMiles90000 haha! exactly what I was thinking, only with my family. Good times.