1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dot-map help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gwynnja, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I'm Mansa and I found a bunch of floodplains that I need to settle quick like. Settings are standard size, normal speed, Emperor difficulty, shuffle map type. No huts/events.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

2. sohleks

sohleks Prince

If only you settled on the silk! (2 commerce city tile + gold in bfc) Although you got more hills that way.

I would probably want to prioritize getting gold as it's a huge boost early on however the pig/ gold city would ask of you to tech animal husbandry to make it work. Plus it wouldn't be a good city at all long-term, so I doubt it's worth it. You have a beautiful system of floodplains, and another source of gold NE on a desert hill. Maybe that's worth settling next.

3. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

2 commerce for mansa is actually 3. This land is ridiculous, the only advice you need is to settle cities with lots of FPs right on the river even if it means sacrificing one, health will become a big problem otherwise.

4. ShengWuLien

ShengWuLien Warlord

That land is indeed ridiculous.

I guess if you were feeling ambitious you could rush a settler all the way north and plant a city by that corn just south of Izzy. Maybe on the PH? Then one on the west coast by wheat, and another 1W of the oasis in the east, claims two golds. That would maybe help you block off all the beautiful flood plains.

Can we get the starting save? I might like to play this one.

5. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

Settling aggressively north and then backfilling is indeed the way to go. Maintenance will not be an issue on this map with this leader.

6. Thrar

Thrar King

I'd start with the PH south of corn. Mine the hills, farm an FP or two and it will be a good settler pump early on to help with the land grab. Convert some farms into cottages later on. At this stage, however, the land grab is more important than getting early commerce online.

After that, basically backfill down the river. South of the river bend (bordering the river north and east) would be a beautiful city with 13 FP, 2 incense, and 1 gold hill. Little production, yes, but with that much food, just use the whip liberally. This should get an academy and later Oxford, perhaps move your capital too for the bureau bonus.
    Next you could secure the eastern branch of the river or the wheat by the coast. I would settle pigs/gold fairly late because nobody can take it from you, grab the contested sites first.

Make sure you fogbust the empty space to avoid delaying your settlers or inconvenient barb cities.

7. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Although it would be nice to have settled on the silk the upside is you get marble with a 3rd border pop and don't need a crap city to claim it.

I disagree with everyone saying aggressively settle north and block land. Imo this is a big no no, like serious. I would settle pig/gold as my 2nd city after you've grown to 5 population first and by the time you improve pigs and road to the gold you get 3rd border pop from Capital.

I'd suggest settling yellow, red, green, and purple, in that order. Yellow and red can share/work 4 cottages for the Capital that can now work 4H tiles for better production or a combo of 2scientist, etc.

And to throw in my last 2 cents, with marble you have lot's of options. I've already played it till Liberalism and was able to upgrade around 30 HAs to Cuirs shortly after 500 AD. Grabbed MoM (not in Timbuktu) and TGL/NE in the Capital in 5 turns by saving 4 forest for chops once I had forge/OR/Bureau.

Attached Files:

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

1. You don't have mysticism yet
    2. Your land has tremendous :commerce: but is weak in production for now
    3. There is plenty of land
    4. Neighbors are likely to be quite friendly unless izzy founds a different religion.

Your priority here is to get a worker/settler pump out ASAP. Get cap to 5 working cottages, but also settler 1S of pigs (right now, don't wait for border pop while settling on the river IMO, even though it hurts the city long-term with levees...good chance you can noobstomp the continent with rifles before levees even matter).

Settling right next to the pigs gets you a 6 :food: tile, an extra :health: to play around with on the FP sites, and using the capitol's automatic palace border pop culture you can work the gold mine in addition to the extra :) provided by mining it.

Now that I'm looking at this, the advice is quite similar to cseanny's. My only change would be to put less priority on the green site - it's low in food, the empire has gold already, and the other sites will develop faster/better IMO. I would push the pig site 1 SW, scoot red over 1W, put green on the grassland river S of the oasis, and leave the other cities as they are in cseanny's dotmap.

There aren't that many good pure :hammers: sites so the whip will matter here.

9. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

I dunno. For me, on emperor, this map would be all about settling right up in the AIs face. I also would probably settle the pigs as a second city because that just makes your expansion even faster (hell even at size 1 it can pump out a quick worker), but then I'd want to claim every single FP and gold visible. So much commerce...