1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dota 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GoodGame, Jun 30, 2012.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

So anyone else in the DOTA 2 closed beta?

In case you don't know what DOTA is, it's originally a Warcraft 3 mod with a unique, balanced favor, kind of like a game of chess for RTS/action RPG fans.
    I'd suggest reading here first, since DOTA is somewhat complicated, though well "studied".

Right now it's on Steam as "closed" so you have to beg, borrow, or pay for an invite, the last option is pretty odd for a closed beta. There's also no NDA, which is also pretty odd for a closed beta. Apparently it will fully follow the TF2 model of being free-2-play and being something of an accessory simulator (NOT JUST HATS, although I've unlocked a stylish shark skin hat). You can buy the accessories too now, as well as earn them for specific game performance, and general ranking. I'll admit to spending $5 for common item as a gratis, although there is no in-game bonus to "accessorizing" currently. I'm not sure of the devs plans, but I suspect it will eventually make money like TF2 in that if you want to find a special item find then you purchase it rather than wait for it to drop.

So anyone play it?

2. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

You can sign up for an invite on the website as well although the second part of the application form is odd if you haven't played DOTA like me. I've played a lot of League of Legends which as far as I'm aware is probably the main competition.

Not sure how I feel about being able to buy different items to customise the look of a character as the game type relies on quick reactions and it might take ever so slightly longer to recognise a character. There is something similar in LOL where one of the characters, Nasus, has a skin which looks similar to the skin that appears whilst he is using his ultimate which is slightly confusing.

3. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Yes I'm playing Dota 2. I also suck at it.

4. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Prince

I actually just got into the beta earlier this week. I had signed up for it several months ago and had just given up hope on ever getting in. I used to play it a LOT back in the WC3 days, but fell out of it when LoL and HoN came out. The community in HoN was one of the most hateful, vitriolic, groups I'd ever come across.
    DotA 2 is really fun, and plays just like I remember the original. I've only played two games so far, but both went pretty well. I like how you can commend/report players, and the UI seems pretty smooth and intuitive.
    It's tricky though because I don't know any of the character models yet, and it's kind of hard to see who is playing what hero. That is, the mouse-over tip is really small and I haven't found an easy-accessible listing of players/heroes yet.

5. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

How do I get in the closed beta? I'm kinda keen to try it out.

I played HoN, but didn't play for a couple of months and couldn't be bothered getting back into it. Too many new characters, and the community was horrible, so it didn't seem worth the effort.

6. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Prince

If you go on the Steam page, you can sign up for a survey. Fill out the survey and they'll send you a beta sometime or another. My friends got theirs all within a week or two, but mine took several months. You can also buy the game from somewhere, or get an invite.

7. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Warlord

Ive played alot of Dota 1. Some HoN and Dota 2.
    I think Dota-games are the best multiplayer games ever .

Absolutely kickass.

It has some downsides.
    It has a very high entry barrier until you get decent and as it is a teamgame, if one player sucks it screws up the team.
    And teamgames on internet = trolling and flaming.

So if you feel u dont want to get insulted if you make a misstake, I wouldn't recommend dota.
    But if you can take critism it's kickass.

8. GoodGame

One thing I don't like about the beta status is there are some truly challenging characters that don't stack up very well against others. They aren't labeled as "carry"s (i.e. the characters that start very weak but blossom later), they just are very situational or hard to level of a creeps/jungle. The Anti-Mage comes to mind---a really neat character to have at high level, but really hard to level in either the jungle, creeps, or against certain characters/strategies.

At azzaman, they want to charge $40 to expedite entry (it's really a dumb purchasing of hats for only a few, uninteresting characters), but do what EatUpMartha said. I think my invitation took a few months. I think they're prioritizing people who claim strong DOTA experience.

If you all want to meet up sometime in the Civfanatics Steam group and start a party match, I'm game for that.

9. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I just started playing the game some (~40 public games played). Super fun but I still got a lot to learn/try out, and plus I haven't really bothered to learn all the heroes and items. I do fine with some heroes, but pretty bad with others (mainly don't know what to do). I'll definitely play a lot more of it and am trying to get some friends into it.

Speaking of beta keys: My friend filled out the survey after I told him to and got his beta key maybe 1.5 weeks later. Answered he was new to dota (true) and also answered questions about gameplay completely wrong. He said there was a question that asked "What level would you end a typical dota game at? How much gold would you have earned?" and answered "0" for every question like that.

So I guess beta key access is fairly random. I got my invite from someone else.

10. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

i have been a fan of the DotA franchise eversince the DotA Allstars came out. that was in 2007 ......i think ?

I wanted to play DotA 2 as well, but apparently, my wooden Pc wouldnt support the game. there are some mega graphics requirements ? Hence its still DotA on Garena ..

11. GoodGame

I don't think of Dota2 as graphics heavy, and I actually run it with graphics on low settings. The max screen resolution is pretty low (compared to first person shooter games), if I remember right.

Playing some tonight, I was thinking.....what about a Civilization---Dota2 hybrid?
    I was hmmming:.....it'd be not quite character driven, but still RPG-ish, with a tech tree and the typical Civilization features, on a DOTA-style map (base, lanes, jungle, maybe the equivalent of towers or at least the equivalent of ancillary towns). Maybe it'd be a bit Rise of Nations inspired, but it'd have the Sid Meier's Civilization franchise feel to it.
    Am-i-right? :lol: Firaxis?

12. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

The poor me still cant play it .

Spoiler :

Its DotA on Garena for me :(

13. GoodGame

Sounds like possibly a driver issue, or the diagnosis program is being snobbish that you use onboard video, but it doesn't sound like it'd be a system performance problem. Try contacting their tech support if there is an installation override.

14. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

query for those that actually play DotA 2 :

do you need a graphics card to play this ??

15. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I play dota2 right after 6 hours of civ5.

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Not bad for my 2nd game.

17. GoodGame

Yeah nice, Riki requires some skill as he is a carry.

18. GoodGame

Who's everyone's favorite characters?

Jakiro is my top game winner/nuker,
    Invoker is pretty fun if you can adapt to his Magicka-like playstyle (or adapt him to your playstyle),
    Tidehunter is my favorite tank,
    Treant is a fun tank too,
    Weaver is a fun missile carry,
    Lone Druid is fun tank carry for the possible item builds,
    Nature Prophet is a nice ambush ganker (though a big carry).

Also, what's everyone's favorite team/lane combos?

I've found Keeper of Light plus Siren to be very overpowered.

5 carries is a definite no-no; 3 carries and two non-carry stun-Tanks (e.g. TideHunter) is pretty good.

19. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I build Armlet and Mask of Madness on Crystal Maiden.

/thread

20. GoodGame

I'll have to try that, but sounds like a glass cannon.