Dotmap help: Floodplain festival

Pantastic

King
I got this mass of flood plains in a recent game and did OK with it, but I think I didn't place all of my cities as well as I could have. I'd appreciate it if people could dot up this map for me to show where you think the cities should be, I often have a hard time making the final 'where to put this' decision. I didn't bother including the area north of the capital as it is easy to fill in and in the real game was taken by the Celts very quickly.

There's no water resources hiding off to the left in the map, and you're seeing all the land on that peninsula near the gold.

Attachments

• Hannibal dot map.JPG
    Hannibal dot map.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 571
I guess messing with dotmaps isn't as common as it was before on here. Here is what I'm thinking would be a good dotmap for the area. It would be possible to do either the horse or bronze city as the second (in the real game, I got AH for the cows then bronze at about the same time I had the settler ready so I'd see both naturally), both of those would become production centers, probably the bronze spot as military. I considered putting that city along the coast to catch the bronze and wheat, but it ends up just being a crappy city that I wouldn't want to mess with early.

The middle orange spot was 1S when I played this, but I think I like the tile efficiency of settling on the sheep better - the food isn't as big of a deal with all the flood plains. The pink spot with the stone, pigs, and wheat would be put to try to cut off AIs, likely as the 3rd or 4th city.

The red X by the gems and corn was built by the Japanese in my game, I definately want a city to grab those resources but that corner is pretty cramped. I kept the city because I'm not sure where I'd build a new one there after razing. The pink coastal spot is obviously not a priority, I hate to ditch the coast with my UB but there's just nowhere worthwhile.

Anyway, any comments on that?

Attachments

• Hannibal dot map dev.JPG
    Hannibal dot map dev.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 397
That one next to the copper should be 1N IMO. In BTS rivers are so much more imporatant than before. Other than that your choices are fine.

I would move the copper city 1 NE to get on the river and remove all that desert from the BFC. I would also move the sheep city 1S so that its not on the sheep!

That one next to the copper should be 1N IMO. In BTS rivers are so much more imporatant than before. Other than that your choices are fine.

I don't think 1 N would count as being on a river? It would get fresh water bonus, but wouldn't be able to build a dike/hydro plant.

I don't think 1 N would count as being on a river? It would get fresh water bonus, but wouldn't be able to build a dike/hydro plant.

It does. freshwater bonus and ability to build hydro plant/levee apply to the same set of tiles.

I'd put the city on top of the sheep one south. You'll get more from the sheep, and lose one desert and one plain for one grassland, and I can't see if you'll get one floodplain for one flood plain or for one desert.

Messing around with dotmapping inspired me to try the game again, this time not forgetting my UU and remembering that the AI defends towns better, so this even has a practical purpose. It will be interesting to see how my aggressive worker stealing affects Huyana and Tokogua, 5-6 workers before founding a second city is pretty amusing.

I hadn't thought about the 'river' need on the bronze town since I was getting fresh water from the oasis. The drawback of 1N is that it wastes the grass hill (good early production), but the floodplains make plains hills less painful and the city will be doing a lot of whipping anyway. I don't like 1 NE because I'd have to wait for a border pop to get bronze in the early game.

Good point on the sheep town, I sometimes get too obsessed with using every floodplain even when that's a mistake, but the one flood plain really isn't worth losing that sheep tile, especially with the bronze city moved north.

Gosh! So many floodplains. An incredible map. What I would do is put a city just north of Kyoto to block off the Japanese.

If you have all the floodplains you want, you can place your cities closer together, and only at the end select some of them to be super-cities...

Top Bottom