[R&F] Double Oligarchy

Stringer1313

Emperor
Has anyone else taken advantage of this insanely OP combo in the early game? Be an oligarchy, build tier 1 govt building to get oligarchy legacy, then add that policy. Then you get +8 combat bonuses on all your melee units. I was able to mow down my neighboring civ with like 2 swordsman and two archers.

Shouldn't the legacy policy cards only be available if you are in a higher tier govt, or at least a DIFFERENT government (so you can only use oligarchic legacy if you are any government except oligarchy)? Maybe it's nice from a gameplay perspective but if you are calling it a "legacy" and you are still in the same government, it kind of breaks immersion.

Or maybe they should change oligarchy to be double the experience points rather than straight up increase in combat power.

I remember using that policy card but I did not take note if this was before or after I switched to Monarchy. The more I think about it, I think I was using it before Monarchy. I will check it again next game I start.

Or maybe they should change oligarchy to be double the experience points rather than straight up increase in combat power.

Or, maybe they should use real people to playtest their games. The vast majority of these bugs would have been caught by using actual humans to playtest and not running automated AI-only games and looking at logs.

Has anyone else taken advantage of this insanely OP combo in the early game? Be an oligarchy, build tier 1 govt building to get oligarchy legacy, then add that policy. Then you get +8 combat bonuses on all your melee units. I was able to mow down my neighboring civ with like 2 swordsman and two archers.

Shouldn't the legacy policy cards only be available if you are in a higher tier govt, or at least a DIFFERENT government (so you can only use oligarchic legacy if you are any government except oligarchy)? Maybe it's nice from a gameplay perspective but if you are calling it a "legacy" and you are still in the same government, it kind of breaks immersion.

I really grow a bit irritated by their many oversights. Civilization 6 is a complex game. I accept that. But from games like starcraft you can see that you can make a great game with just 3 factions & a handful of well balanced units. I don't even ask for that.

:love::stupid:

Very much this. I think the cards should literally be legacy - i.e. they are only available to you if you have had that government in the past.

Given the nerf so that GG stacking isn't overwhelming, it's hard to imagine this interaction to be intentional since it's barely different (and GG can give you +13, +18 with stuff like UU or America's ability). Par for the course though unfortunately.

I used it as the Zulu and killed the horsehocky out of everyone.

Also, double theocracy for basically any religious victory

:love::stupid:

Very much this. I think the cards should literally be legacy - i.e. they are only available to you if you have had that government in the past.
Talking about this - does anyone know why they removed the legacy bonuses from governments?

Talking about this - does anyone know why they removed the legacy bonuses from governments?
Because they basically had no impact. Even in the slowest of games you'd only get one or two ticks of the legacy bonus. Oh goodie I get 2% more great people points for the rest the game! The new system is far better.

It would make more sense if government bonuses were either a unique card or a flat ability linked to that government. R&F mixes the two, and it seems messy as a result. Legacy cards also seem a bit daft to me given there are already so many cards to put in your wild card slots - including dark ages cards.

I’d rather just have the old legacy bonuses back, with maybe a government building giving X free / bonus turns for accruing legacy bonuses.

If there are going to stick with legacy cards, I wish they’d make the government buildings bonuses be entirely or partly a card too. Some of the bonuses for early buildings feel very cheesy. If the bonuses were linked to cards, there would at least be more of a trade-off. Although, then you’re back to having too many wild cards not enough slots...

Double Communism sounds hilarious. We will now complete our five year plan in two years comrade.

Double Democracy, hmm, wouldn’t that reduce productivity?

And Double Facism... ah, no thanks. Once is simply more than enough.

Because they basically had no impact. Even in the slowest of games you'd only get one or two ticks of the legacy bonus. Oh goodie I get 2% more great people points for the rest the game! The new system is far better.

See...I have no problem with incremental bonuses; and I think they do make a huge difference; esp on marathon where I play 95% of my games. I mean sure - if I'm choosing between giving an envoy to a city state that gives me a one or two percent on a yield; or one that gives me something more impactful, I'll go the latter. But with legacy bonuses they were all similarly small so it didn't matter. And it added a nice level of nuance to the game where your history counted; but didn't override your current set up. It was a real beautiful touch and I'm sad to see them go.

Not every part of the game has to be full on. I prefer the much more varied powerful Civ's in VI, when compared to V...but I like having subtlety in the game too.

I think the ‘old’ system would have worked really well with the new mechanics in R&F:

eg staying in a government long enough to get a bonus could have granted additional era score; over time, sticking with a government might have increased loyalty over time (making a change of government more risky); government buildings could boost existing legacy bonuses or grant their own; governments could change some of the dedications you could choose from each era.

I prefer the old legacy system, but can live with having cards instead. I just wish the governments, plaza, plaza buildings, legacy cards etc. didn’t all feel like such a mish-mash.

Top Bottom