1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Double speed or turns -1?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by RobinDude, Apr 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RobinDude

RobinDude Chieftain

I've seen a cheat online where you can, at the end of a turn before pressing Enter to continue, stop a Setter unit from its task and tell it to do it again and it will do more. I have seen this work, I think, with roads done in one turn and others done a bit faster. However for multi-turn things like 'irrigating' (draining) a swamp, it doesn't seem much faster. Is this because it just removes the final turn, turning 2-turn tasks into 1-turn tasks but 10-turn tasks become 9-turn instead of 5-turn?

2. Mize

Mize Warlord

This is the so-called 'settler cheat' or 'settler bug'. No need to do it at the end of the turn. In fact you actually have to do it before the end to build 'multi-turn things'. If the settler is the last unit that has moves left, this will naturally end your turn right there, so either have an active unit waiting, or turn on the 'end of turn' setting in the game menu. This will prompt you to press 'space' or 'enter' every turn, after all your active units have moved, just like you have to manually end the turn if you have no active units whatsoever.

3. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

Fast settlers. The awesome power of the dark side.

4. RobinDude

RobinDude Chieftain

Sort of missing the point. I recognize that I need to turn on the 'End of Turn' option. I already did that. My question was about how long things too WITH the bug/cheat vs WITHOUT the but/cheat. Do I need to stop/start them again each turn for, for instance, clearing swamps, and does this reduce it to half the time or just take off the last turn?

5. Mize

Mize Warlord

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. To get the maximum effect from this bug you have to reactivate the settler and give it the command again in the same turn multiple times. The settler will lose the ability to be reactivated, when the improvement is complete. So: activate settler, mine, repeat until the mine is done and the settler can't move any more, all in one turn.

6. RobinDude

RobinDude Chieftain

Oh! Awesome! Thanks!

7. RobinDude

RobinDude Chieftain

Updated fun fact:
    If you use Cheat Engine to find the movement cost of your Settler, set and lock it so the Settler has more than one move, and set it to a task, then recenter the view repeatedly around the settler, it also works without having to click the unit, tell it to stop doing things, and then click to do it again. For me, that's faster!
    Note: The settler you are 'centering' around doesn't have to be on-screen for this to work. Basically change the view to anywhere on the map and each move is a 'turn' of working.