Doubles Worker Speed does not work for all workers...

tom2050

Deity
Seems that the Civilization Advance ability of "Doubles Work Rate (of Workers)" does not work for all workers that may be in a mod.

In many cases, worker flavors are available (so different civ's have different worker graphics), etc. But, once you discover a tech that doubles their work rates, it only doubles the work rate of a single worker unit.

Which worker this is, isn't quite known. It's probably, either the first worker in the unit list, or perhaps the worker unit that is selected as a Start Unit on the General Settings tab.

*** It's easy to test, start a DEBUG game. Note the length of time the start worker takes to do something. Next turn, research the tech that doubles work rates (shift right-click the tech). Then add another start worker, and he should do the job in half the time. Add a flavor worker, and it will be the original (longer) time to do the same job.

Quite disappointing, as this nullifies the use of this setting in most all regards if using a variety of different workers. The only work-around I can see, is to make duplicates of all workers on this tech, and increase their worker strength, and hope the AI upgrades them (which I don't know if AI does or not). At least this way, new workers built by AI will have faster speed.

Also, worker rate in between the '50s' has no effect. Seems to only work in 50 increments AFAIK.

A real pain, now I need to add 10 more upgradable worker units in. :wallbash:
Unless someone knows something I don't? :please:

Um, what? I've been playing CCM (which has many flavor worker units), and the workers for all civilizations have their worker speed increase with techs just fine. I'm probably not understanding the problem correctly x(

I'm pretty sure I've seen this work in mods that added a civilization with a UU worker before (i.e the Harrapa (sp?) mod suggested by CivArmy). Although by the time I got to the mid-Industrial age, the game was pretty much over, so I didn't have long to notice if something was amiss..

Here's a tip if someone doesn't know: worker speed is (turns to complete improvement) divided by (worker rate).

so..
12 (worker jobs) turns to complete
/ 2 (government) worker rate
= 6 actual turns to build improvement

Hills and mountains double the amount of time, though, so on those terrains it would take 12 actual turns.

Okay, here's another one...

Industrious Trait says:
Workers complete tasks faster and the center city square of all cities produces extra shields in cities and metros.

I have a civ that is industrious, and it's unit worker strength is 100, government work speed is 1; so it works at the base rate that is set for a worker job (e.g. roads are set to 18 turns, and the single worker takes 18 turns to build a road). All is good, and how it is supposed to be.

Except that the civ is industrious and the worker is not working faster. It takes the base amount of turns to do worker jobs, which is the same as a non-industrious civ takes.

Is this a bug? or did Firaxis just mis-write that? or am I missing something?

--------------------

In other news, it's not everyday you see the AI using 8 workers to work a single tile:
Spoiler :

I'm assuming that the movement cost for the terrain the "industrious" civ's worker is working on is the same as it is for the non-industrious civs?

It looks more like a bug with governments with the workrate set at 1. Perhaps try doubling the government workrates and worker job costs? The added side effect for this, is that, assuming the default government workrate would still be 2 for most governments, that each increase or decrease in this value would be worth 25%, instead of 50%. (So, a workrate of 3 would be 75% of the "norm", whereas a workrate of 6 would be 150%)...

Top Bottom