1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

DoW from a Pleased AI

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Patricko, Feb 21, 2012.

1. perrenod

perrenod Chieftain

I recently won a cultural with Alexander as my friend - the physical layout was such that he was my entire landside border, and after holding him off in one early war, got a substantial tech lead. By continually bribing him with techs, I kept him strong enough to fend off enemies and friendly enough that my still-substantial military was a successful deterent to his turning around. Late in the game pulled two of his cities into my cultural expansion, and even then he didn't seem to mind. Nearest I've had to a non-vassal vassal.

I'm learning that giving into extortion is sometimes a good move, if there are others for a bully to refocus upon. And bribes are a great offensive tool.

2. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Wow, nobody has yet refuted this. :p

I know this is false and that that can only happen if you a) refuse a demand from them, b) drop down to pleased and they start plotting, even if you get back to friendly the next turn, c) they can be bribed to backstab players they have friendly relations with (which is an exception, only Cathy does this and the guy bribing also has to be friendly with her) or d) they refused to pay resource tribute as vassals or you declared war on someone with whom they have a defensive pact, but I don't have here the data to back this up. :p

You can have no military at all and never be attacked if the AI is at friendly and you pay attention to the exceptions I mentioned above. ;)

3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Oh, that... you are right.

Yea, I really wish people would stop spreading that misinformation. I keep seeing it, and it's gonna hold anyone back that reads it, believes it, and wants to improve. Power ratios are an on/off switch. If you exceed their threshold in power they will not DoW you. If you are one soldier less it matters not. If you're meeting that ratio of power, you should be smashing them and not worrying about this. I've had weakling empires plan war against me when they were on another continent and there's no way in hell they were anywhere near my strength.

NO CIV plots war at friendly. They may have plotted when they weren't and will still proceed. Catherine can be bribed.

I suppose people have been misled by the garbage lying GUI in which they hate your vassal, so thus you are not friendly with them. Can't really blame them then.

It is reasonable to say though, if you can't get people to where they won't plot on you that you will need to bribe them elsewhere, keep begging for treaties, or keep a force able to at least withstand their attacks.

4. gorf37

gorf37 Chieftain

Wow! I definitely didn't know that! I always cringe as my power rating drops further and further below the AIs, but no more! :)

5. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

If it does that is great. I only added the last line to what I posted because I don't play at the high levels and when I have alluded to this before, some high level players have said it would not work at high levels. I just added the last bit to avoid starting that chain of argument once again but it seems to have back fired! :lol:

6. MilesBeyond

MilesBeyond Chieftain

In the spirit of this thread, I just got DOWed by Saladin at Friendly! Not only that, but we have been at Friendly for literally thousands of years! Not only that, I've given in to every single request he's made! AND we're the same religion! AND he DOWed me while we were in a mutual military conflict against someone else.

He's at +20 before the DOW. In other words, even during the war, he's still at Pleased. How annoying.

7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Did you have a vassal? A pic or save would be nice.

8. Sojuz

Sojuz Chieftain

Well... I was playing England, and had adopted same of Isabel's religion and got friendly relations with her. Now Isabel got a vassal, Portugal, which i've friendly relations with him too. Now Isabel and me have a friendly France with always same religion. Looks like a peaceful western Europe. Then what? Isabel DoW on me, Joao II of course gets in but then also France gets in... I was kind of pissed. My army was nothing, one archer or warrior per city, but luckly those noob AIs didn't bring in too much, and France would accept peace in exchance of a tech.

9. Sojuz

Sojuz Chieftain

I think i'll keep alive this thread. I am in mid 500', playing as Egypt, realizing the starting position is not that fair (bordering end of map), had some issue developing a productive empire. Everything however goes pretty nice. Then, Catherine decides it's time to colonize Egypt, for some dumb reason, declaring war on me at FRIENDLY!!! Seriously, someone needs to fix this BS. As you know, Cathy is not dumb AI at warfare, so i kinda quitted :|.

10. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

She is the only one that can be bribed to attack others with whom she is friendly with. Is she friendly with someone else who dislikes you? Did you have any vassal?

11. LeHam

LeHam Chieftain

Don't some leaders require different power ratios to start plotting war? I think it's called the "iMaxWarPowerRatio" or something like that. For example, Alexander will declare war even if you are more powerful than he is but others won't

12. itsunder9000

itsunder9000 Chieftain

I have had a number of bad experiences with Shaka somewhat early in the game, although I have never lost the war directly, it has screwed me up real bad, he is just as bad as Alexander or Monty but like Monty often too backwards a while to become a threat, its just before that point where he is a real pain in the neck, even at pleased