DoW on Friendly?

alj

Chieftain
Is this possible when running this mod?

I just started my first game with Better AI 1.00 - with Aggressive AI also turned on - playing as Zara on Prince, and Boudica has just declared war on me after being Friendly since the BCs! Definitely an example of clever AI (she caught me with my pants down while my armies were busy mopping up Churchill, went around my main force and attacked the heart of my empire via Incan lands instead), but should this happen? I've read that the only AI who declares on Friendly is Catherine. Thanks!

(also, first post!)

It's not hardcoded. Friendly civs generally won't attack for no reason, but if an AI player decides that you are easy pickings or that you're getting too close to winning, they will happily declare war on you. The AI also loves to Dogpile, so if you're already at war with one or more other civs, it's a good idea to keep an eye on your other neighbors as well!

Actually Boudica has NoWarProb of 100 for Friendly (and even for Pleased btw) so this should not happen. Unless of course the preparations started before you got to pleased..
So if you have autosaves for every single turn of that game you can go and find out when the warplans started, and if that was while pleased/friendly, you know you caught a bug.
Unless BetterAI doesn't use NoWarProbs anymore, in that case it would be by design :p

edit: 2 possible exceptions:
1.) Leaders who run Conquest4 or Domination4 VC can turn on friends.
2.) In a team, NoWar values are the average of every leader's personal values, so if there's a warmonger in the team, wars can happen even if some of the members would rather be peaceful.

Actually Boudica has NoWarProb of 100 for Friendly (and even for Pleased btw) so this should not happen. Unless of course the preparations started before you got to pleased..
So if you have autosaves for every single turn of that game you can go and find out when the warplans started, and if that was while pleased/friendly, you know you caught a bug.
Unless BetterAI doesn't use NoWarProbs anymore, in that case it would be by design :p

edit: 2 possible exceptions:
1.) Leaders who run Conquest4 or Domination4 VC can turn on friends.
2.) In a team, NoWar values are the average of every leader's personal values, so if there's a warmonger in the team, wars can happen even if some of the members would rather be peaceful.

I'm guessing the answer must be 1), because like I say, we'd been Friendly (or at least Pleased) for a good 1000 years or so. I saw the fist a few turns before she declared, Churchill was the whipping boy and I'd recently bribed her to make peace with him so he wouldn't capitulate to her, so I assumed she was just going to redeclare on him. Nasty surprise when she sent her super-stacks against me instead. :p We were both heading in the direction of domination but neither of us were that close.

One thought is that it might be related to Aggressive AI, since I think Wang Kon backstabbed me in a similar way once in vanilla BTS.

Here's a recent save if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• Zara P12.CivBeyondSwordSave
    257.5 KB · Views: 301
Yes you are right, actually both Aggressive and financial troubles can add +10% war chance, even if that chance was originally 0. It is indeed by design.

Aha, thanks. :) Next time I won't let myself slip so far from the top of the power graph. :p

Top Bottom