Download and Current Changelog

And each unitart group shares their animations; you could include the pieces of equipment in each unit model, and then only need two animations per piece of equipment per unit group, much easier than making the multiple models for each individual unit. Not to mention the animation would be simple compared to attack animations/it would barely even impact the base unit model. But thats the beauty of it; you could accumulate gear with each animation, without the diffaculty of making animations for each combination of equipment.

Since the part of the model that is the equipment won't go away by simply going into another animation(which I'm assuming is this case, maybe you know this is not the case and you're right here).

...No. Unless I'm MAJORLY misunderstanding you, this is not the case at all.

Animations (as far as I am aware) cannot simply be swapped out at will; it requires changing the artdef of a unit. They also cannot be FIRED at will (not without rather annoying python, at least, which would be FAR too unwieldy for this). Even if you could, you can't freeze an animation; You'd get stuck with bracers appearing, and then disappearing. Finally, you would STILL need dozens of animations, as you can only fire one at a time; You'd need one for bracers, one for the hat, one for boots, one for a chest, one for every other piece of equipment you want to show, and then one for every possible combination of equipment.

...No. Unless I'm MAJORLY misunderstanding you, this is not the case at all.

Animations (as far as I am aware) cannot simply be swapped out at will; it requires changing the artdef of a unit. They also cannot be FIRED at will (not without rather annoying python, at least, which would be FAR too unwieldy for this). Even if you could, you can't freeze an animation; You'd get stuck with bracers appearing, and then disappearing. Finally, you would STILL need dozens of animations, as you can only fire one at a time; You'd need one for bracers, one for the hat, one for boots, one for a chest, one for every other piece of equipment you want to show, and then one for every possible combination of equipment.

At the beginning of an animation up untill about half way through the animation, you have the animation playing(the unit moves foward, shoots an arrow, etc). The last segment of the animation usually involves moving the unit back into its original position, and reseting the model. If you don't have the model reset itself in the final part of the animation and don't have another animation that interferes with that specific part's scale in the model, won't it remain the same untill a new animation played changes it?(for example moving when the fortified animation is playing moves/rotates the model, it does not change the model's scale, as far as I know, and would not revert the model's scale if a former script had caused its z-scale to increase by 50%)

I'm not talking about swapping them out; all of these animations would be extra animations for each unittype(included in artdef), while the models for each item would be included in any unit model that can use it, and would be scaled too small to see untill another animation scales it up(which would play when the unit picks up the item). I'm also thinking this would be alot easier and cleaner if it was limited to hero units only(changing the armor texture on a unit model to show iron, steel, mithral armor for standard units would be easier and doable, though).

I do not believe animations work that way. If you didn't have the animation reset the model, it would just jump back to where it was (as in, what you see when you have no animations checked in options), which would simply look bad; it wouldn't lock the model in place.

No matter how it's done, it would involve a huge kludge (massive amounts of models, massive amounts of animations, massive amounts of python to fire animations, or some combination thereof). And since I don't believe the second or third would even be possible to do in Civ4 (may be possible with the engine, but not with what's exposed in the engine, and we can't get at what isn't), that leaves just the one option.

Do you know if it is possible in Civ5, though?

...You know, I really don't. Not much of the art side of it was easily moddable yet, so I never played with it. But given that as a rule Civ5 uses larger groups of units than Civ4 did... The odds don't look great. It's just not the kind of thing a civ game would normally need; Like I said, you tend to need to swap out entire units, not small pieces of them.

Yeah, Valk is right. The only thing this mod did was swap out weapons, which is cool, but not really needed. I guess I'll just have to build a bunch more models. Importing is still slow going. My rig adds a ton of dummy nodes to the nif file, which can be removed, but is annoying. Still no joy with animations, however. I keep trying to import to blender but it's not behaving as it should. I'm thinking I'll just bind the base rigs to a skeleton in NifViewer and do that. It's messy, kludgy and not very elegant, but it's the only way I can figure out to get models in game. Gonna be a while, though. I got a contract job doing some animation stuff and texturing my rigged model for my demo reel will take up most of my time right now. Probably won't have anything solid for testing until after the Holidays. I'll make some generic nifs to use in game for testing and bug reports. You'll have to do all the XML work, more than likely.

I'll post a picture of my harpy model, based off the drake model, when I finish her. ;)

Sorry to ask, but is there any ETA on when 1.4 might be released (which three month span of this coming year)? By the way, this mod is incredible! I cannot stop playing. I just reviewed the upcoming promotion changes and can't wait for the release. Also, what do you believe is the difficulty curve in learning to mod? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Lanun forever!

I think it was set for this Christmas? So maybe next Christmas, then?:D
Actually, try looking around the topics here or on the RiFE forum. I'm sure this has been asked many, many times before.

I think it was set for this Christmas? So maybe next Christmas, then?:D

I only said in joke that my very personal estimate is xmas 2012 :D, so it's not something you should take for granted or final. Many things might happen or change. :mischief:

Actually, try looking around the topics here or on the RiFE forum. I'm sure this has been asked many, many times before.

Yes, you might try to look around, but you won't find any real or accurate mention about release date of 1.4. Trust me I'm the Doctor.

Anyway. By the way how the things look and how the team polls results look, there might be something within next few months. ( And again, I stress the word "might" )

I only said in joke that my very personal estimate is xmas 2012 :D, so it's not something you should take for granted or final. Many things might happen or change. :mischief:

Yes, you might try to look around, but you won't find any real or accurate mention about release date of 1.4. Trust me I'm the Doctor.

Anyway. By the way how the things look and how the team polls results look, there might be something within next few months. ( And again, I stress the word "might" )

Hush, you. :assimilate: Something will come, but we haven't said a word about it. And won't. :goodjob:

2012 will be the year of 1.4; or it will not.

Thus it will be a very good year... or just an average year ;)

well... and happy new year to you all.

Will the Ainym be a playable faction in 1.4, or does it only feature the Aurora Invicta religion? If not, are the Sheaim the intended/canonical adoptees (aligned bonuses, etc.)?

Sounds kind of fun making a repentant-minded Tebryn hoping to end his slavery by both welcoming the end-times (to fulfill his bargain with Ceridwen) and then save it.

Also, a lore question: How do Sirona and Lugus hope to force Agares to "rise?" Does stimulating a god's portfolio (i.e. causing hope) somehow force one to ascend to a former position?

Hey, Valk. Any chance you want to port the new version of NifTools for Maya 2011 for me???? *bats eyelashes* Otherwise, we're waiting for me to scrounge up another version of 3D Max. Apparently, there are major issues between having 2008 (the last version to have NifTools support) and 2011 (which I use for my renders and modeling now) installed at the same time.

For some reason my Kaspersky security system went berserk and quarantined the Rise download (before I could use it), claimed it was a worm, and proceeded to delete it : /

For some reason my Kaspersky security system went berserk and quarantined the Rise download (before I could use it), claimed it was a worm, and proceeded to delete it : /

uh, well ... the only thing I could recommend is to disable your antivirus, and reactivate it after rife is installed/patched

lol - most 'security software' has some interface to restore deleted files - or ask before deleting.
I had the problem at work, that this norton security stuff removed one of my self written programs because of 'obscure behavior'. The file disappeared at the moment, but the information showed up 10 seconds later

Greetings: Makarius

Top Bottom