1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Download Latest Version

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Cmcastl

Cmcastl Chieftain

Since the forum is hot tonight and I am getting responses in very quick time. :)

How do you handle spies in ST?

I should explain I have never played BTS non Sci-fi. I started playing it because of its excellant (though not more excellant!) Alpha Centauri mod. I complained in their forum, always wanting a game to be even better than when I found it, that in the original Sid Meier SMAC you automated spies and they defended your cities or went out on the old espionage rampage, collecting information or wreaking havoc, a generally excellant state of affairs for your investment in them. :)

But the basic Civ IV game seems to handle spies in a very limited way. You either have to direct them to a particular city or star system (in our case) to do a bit of spying or work a bit of espionage bother or you let them go to sleep. Literally - the ZZZ ikon! I have been sending my spies to sleep in the hope they would wake up if it was necessary for them to do a bit of counter-espionage. But maybe they will just sleep on, unless I wake them. :(

I far prefer to play Deanej game than the old Birth of the Federation (BOTF) but I liked the way you could accumulate espionage potential and then not only would you have a counter-intelligence potential but BOTF would from time to time decide on its own initiative to stir up a bit of bother on your behalf espionage-wise. Though I realise that can't be exactly mapped onto BTS: ST.

In short, how do spies work in ST?

Live long and prosper.

2. jfby

jfby Chieftain

Ran into a bug of sorts; probably due to my lack of understanding and probably introduced by my mods (I've added unique units for every civ, but that's it). I've attached a screenshot of the asserts that fail before the crash, with the last one (the bottom right assert) being the one that happens directly before the crash.

I can play up until this turn, but then the game crashes.

I have two questions: how do I trouble shoot failed asserts, such as what is causing them and how to eliminate them, and second is it normal to fail asserts every turn?

I will be more than happy to trouble shoot myself, but I have no clue as to what is causing this. On the other hand I could always upload the save with the XML files I've modded and someone else could crack the problem. Either way I appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

3. jfby

jfby Chieftain

Looked more online according to the fault module d3d9.dll and was pointed to updating DX to the latest version. It worked and I have made it past the cut off point, will report back if I have anymore problems.

The last failed assert was different every time, and my last post was just a one off occurrence, FYI.

4. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Yeah, there are a whole bunch.

As for spies, they work just like in BtS. You get espionage points from the slider/buildings and over time you can get passive espionage effects (such as their demographics, seeing what tech they are researching, city visibility). You can also build spies and do missions (such as poison water) in cities, spending points. I believe couter-espionage works automatically, but you can increase the effectiveness of it by having spies in your city and doing counter-espionage missions in enemy cities.

5. Cmcastl

Cmcastl Chieftain

Many thanks for the reply, Deanej.

So, since I don't want all my spies each turn, asking for orders, hopefully, my spies wake up automatically if there is another Civ's spy in the system. I do know how to send them on missions but I always wondered what happened if I sent them to "sleep", so to speak, my default choice. It seemed to be the case that they "woke up" as various of my star systems would report on how they had thwarted a spy operation but I wasn't sure. This isn't, I stress, a weakness in your Mod but how spies are handled in Civ IV. It was just as confusing, as I said, in Planetfall.

Live long and prosper and thank you for the game I am playing now more than any other.

6. Cmcastl

Cmcastl Chieftain

Has anyone had any more more thoughts or even done any work on an option/mod for troop transports?

Live long and prosper and Happy New Year.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That´s very doable: MOO2Civ has implemented this by allowing planetary defense forces to be loaded/unloaded onto a ship class.

---

Haven´t checked v. 4.28 yet, but I noticed in the Xindi scenario an invisible Black Hole and the system of Tamar´s name appears as TXT_KEY_CITY...

Also, trying to load the DS9 scenario crashed my game twice... :eek:

8. Healz

Healz General

That might need to be a split-off mod as some of us prefer the way it is currently.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a mirror wars scenario where ships from the mirror universe and the regular one battle it out. Not sure how you would implement it within the current mod...

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

On 4.28 the DS9 scenario now starts loading, but hangs on ´Finishing´... :(

There´s 2 fail asserts:

- CvUnitAI.cpp
    line 7272
    getDomainType ()= =DOMAIN_LAND

- CvCity.cpp
    line 1106
    iCount= =getBaseYieldRate((YieldTYPES))il)

10. deanej

deanej Chieftain

DS9 seems to load for me; could you list which civ you started with? My best guess is a one-time event or an AI issue. The second assert seems to be harmless and appears all the time. Not sure about the first.

That "invisible black hole" is probably just grav zones that didn't get deleted with the black hole. Xindi has a few things like that (including supernovas without damage zones) due to worldbuilder issues that existed at the time. They used to be harmless, but I'm not sure what they will do now. The AI avoids ending turns on grav zones, so it's not likely something you'll see an issue with unless you accidentally end a turn on one; could be harmless, could cause a hang, could even cause a CTD.

11. jfby

jfby Chieftain

I hate to ask again, but how do you troubleshoot failed asserts?

12. deanej

deanej Chieftain

You have to use the debug DLL (in Mods/Star Trek/SDK Source), attach it to Visual Studio, and then when you get one and hit debug, visual studio will have a trace of the function calls that have been made and after that you kinda have to guess at what's going on; usually a failed assert is caused by a poorly configured XML entry or python issues rather than SDK problems, but they can cause them too.

13. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I tried loading as the Klingons. I´ll try again.

Not experiencing any issues w/Xindi, just noticed some glitches, ´s all. ;)

14. jfby

jfby Chieftain

I will try that, thank you!

Can failed asserts slow the performance down noticebly? If not and the game isn't crashing, then it's just a matter of getting the bugs out.

Thanks again!

15. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Not that I know of. You don't normally even see them - it just so happens that I accidentally used the debug DLL for DS9 when I recompiled the full installer. I'll re-upload that soon.

16. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

OK, I reloaded DS9 as every civ, but any civ save the UFP hangs on ´Finishing´ with the same fail asserts.

17. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well, it works for me. As far as I can tell, those asserts are from flaws in Final Frontier's coding and don't impact anything.

18. jfby

jfby Chieftain

I kept getting a repeated CTD on the 'epic' game when a partisan event happened. The assert that failed before the crash was never the same so I couldn't trouble shoot, but I got a CTD every time a partisan event happened in one of four different 'scenarios'. I actually used worldbuilder to avoid the situation and then at the next trigger it would crash again. Finally I just modded the XML file to exclude the partisan event entirely.

My question is this: I've modded every unit in the game so that every civ has a unique unit at every level. When the partisan event happens, is it possible that light 1 ships spawn and somehow this causes an error, or does whatever civ recieving the event spawn ships that correspond with light 1 (Consitution for Federation)? I like the event and would like to reintroduce it, but can't deal with the CTD.

19. deanej

deanej Chieftain

To be honest the problem might be with Final Frontier. You can give units to a civ that otherwise can't have them just fine with worldbuilder and python. Issues with partisans were actually a reason why events were delayed to 4.0. I assumed that TC01 was able to make it work.

20. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

I think the problem is probably that the units the partisans create is the unit that can be conscripted in the capital. If there is no unit that is defined as conscriptable then it will fail.

This will affect FFP and anything based on it.

The fix I have in mind is to add checks to the canApplyPartisans1 and canApplyPartisans2 functions in CvRandomEventInterface.py to check what unit can be conscripted in the capital, and if it is "-1" then return False to prevent it from triggering the events. It also requires something in the two getHelpPartisans* functions as well.