Download RF:Greek World alpha here!

If anyone has specific changes they'd like to see made to this map - along the lines of "this is a mountain and should be a hill" - now is probably the best time to suggest them, as the city names and settler maps are being put in the next version, and changes after that get progressively more complicated.

Je suis très mauvais aujourd'hui parce que cette carte est horrible! :cry:

Two things I have noticed upon playing as Carthage. On my spawn I am able to conquer Attica and Egypt with my starting units. All those two nations had were warriors and the occasional archer defending their cities. This allows the Carthage player a huge access to great city spots, and wonders. Second is that I noticed that the AI stockpiles enormous amounts of soldiers in their cities. I noticed this for Persia, Rome, and the worst among them was Sparta. Is this just because not enough buildings have been put into the mod yet for the AI to construct, or was this intentional?

Thanks for mentioning this balance stuff.

Yeah, it's almost certainly a lack of buildings combined with a slower tech pace which causes those units. There should be a global tech pace modifier that needs to go down, I'm just not sure where it is (been focusing on city names and map stuff.)

On that note I noticed a large amount of Indian city names in the Roman Empire. I am going to post some pictures later today of my game. I am assuming the cities were randomly named independents conquered by Rome

That could also explain it... Also, one last thing, stability has not been perfected yet correct? In my game as Carthage other nations are collapsing, but I have never come close yet even though I have expanded enormously far out of historical Carthage territory. Have the stability maps not been finished?

Stability isn't even close to being done. I haven't done anything with it, so whatever has been done, Rhye did before release. My experience with the mod is that it's been toned down, so it still exists to some degree, but doesn't take out everybody like it can in RFC. But I've done more modding and testing than actual playing.

This is a complete and total aside, but there may be some crossover of RTW and Civ4 players, especially those interested in the ancient era. A major new mod for Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion, called Rome: Total Realism Fate of Empires, has just been released. It focuses on the Punic Wars, and has history to make your eyes bleed (happily!). I'm getting hyped about playing it (when not working on this mod, of course). http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Well, I am planning on waging war with Rome. If I can take over all of Rome and still be stable I will assume its because stability still needs to be worked out. I will take this opportunity to express what I do like about this mod however. I notice that Rome is good at expanding to fit its territory. As Carthage I ignored colonizing Iberia, a major mistake of mine, and Rome was quick to taking it for itself.

I think the only reason that these civilizations expand so well is that they can only make units. They produce very cheap units, and can even make one in just one turn. Even with the buildings added, the units should probably cost less. Also, I don't think Rome expands into Gaul or Iberia. I haven't played in a while though.

In my game Rome expanded into both very aggressively. Also Persia did take over Asia Minor in my game as well... However they did go after Ukraine so it might just be random. I have only played one game so it is not much going towards the scientific method...

I was able to unite the Roman Empire and survive the Hunnic invasions... as Carthage! I attacked Rome because I was losing in the colonizing of Iberia. I was able to completely take over Rome. I gained lost vassals of Persia's as well, Babylonia and Israel. The latter acted very strange. Over the course of the game it slowly expanded Westward capturing the North coast of Egypt, the Southernmost point of Egypt, and even colonized the deserts of Africa. The last I found very strange. I actually used World Builder to give them settlers to see if they would keep on settling Africa, and they did. I have no idea what would convince the AI to do that. I then took on Persia to gain some ground in Asia Minor, and then stopped the war when they were willing to vassalize thus winning me a domination game. I am now pretty sure that the stability maps are not done, or that they need to me more sever in punishments. I had massive amounts of territory out of Carthage's historical territory, as can be seen in the pictures below. My economic stability was high, but I think my negative stabilities should have been even less than they were. It came to the point where I realized to keep stable, all I needed to do was build more cities to work even more land outside of my historical area. I kept on playing after winning to see if Israel would keep settling Africa, if I would collapse, and to colonize Britannia to complete my empire. Also when the Byzantines spawned I expected to lose massive amounts of land to them on a flip, however they only requested on city North East of Constantinople. A few turns after their spawn they were destroyed by a massive Persia stack

The first picture is a picture of the world on my spawn. The picture with a worker on tundra is actually showing where the Hun's ended up spawning. The Hun's either spawned there or were pushed there, however they were never able to move and attack me. Eventually Persia brought over its massive armies and destroyed the stack of Hun's. I believe three Hunnic horseman spawn every few turns, however once their stack was destroyed I was able to negotiate peace.

Attachments

• Carthage GW start.JPG
    Carthage GW start.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Carthage GW Stability.JPG
    Carthage GW Stability.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Strange Hun Spawn Carthage GW.JPG
    Strange Hun Spawn Carthage GW.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 221
Units cannot move on tundra... I think the spawn place should be moved.

I could look at my saves to see if they were shunted there somehow.

How was the tech research going for you? Did you feel like you were behind where you should have been? That's the main playbalance thing for this version. Production needs a massive revamp for the next version, obviously, but we kind of knew that.

Top Bottom