Dr kossin #14

kossin

Deity
Welcome to Dr kossin #14.

Dr is an acronym for Daily Round. Yes, I mean to get in an update every day to the games I will be playing. Of course there might be some days where I can only play a little or not at all, but I will make up for it those other days when I do have extra time on my hands.

Previously, I had been using maps that had been verified for isolation or semi-isolation. I have terminated that practice as, while a common sort of map, it doesn't entirely reflect the reality of gameplay and was a big hint that there were at least 2 civilizations nearby even if you started on an island by yourself.

Since I have become more-or-less comfortable on Immortal, the goal of the series is now for me to move even beyond Immortality, into Deity grounds. Hopefully, readers will also be able to pick up a few things here and there to alleviate their own playing.

You, the reader, can help me achieve this goal by pointing out where I got astray, give suggestions on how to proceed, use complex abstract mathematical analysis to argue, curse at me or anything that you may like. Please note that you must respect the Terms of Service of CFC in any case :)

You may shadow this game and post it here if you please, but I kindly request that you put it in spoiler tags and that anyone reading the report abstain from using information found there to help me out.

Should you want more clarification about something I've done, just ask for it and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Enough talk, on to the game.

Dr kossin #14​

Round 1 What can be done in 100 turns
Round 2 Economic recovery
Round 3 Towards Liberalism and a big payoff
Round 4 To war or not to war...

Game settings
Immortal
Normal Speed
Pangea
No Events
No Huts
BTS 3.19 with BUG 4.2 in CustomAssets and BULL 1.0
Everything else is normal.

The leader, this time, is:

Please refer to the Germany Civ IV wiki for more information on this leader/nation.

Used to be my favorite leader back on Prince level. Organized means reduced civic costs & cheap Courthouses and Factories while Philosophical means early GPs as well as cheap Universities. Fairly strong in my opinion.

The start:

On Photobucket for people having problems with Imageshack...
Spoiler :

Ugh... there better be a corn in that treeless grassland... stupid cow glitch.

I will spoiler images in the rounds from now on as there as been mention of loading time and page scrolling. At least there's gold and a decent amount of green land.

The scout has 2 choices I can see... either scout the coast for seafood (NE of settler) or check what's in the resource on that grassland tile 2S of it (move SW).

Settler: in place, 2E1S, 1S, 2E1N appear to be the better locations for the capital.

Techs: Ag>AH if there's a grain resource. AH otherwise I'd say. Fishing could be early in the event of a coastal capital with seafood.

thanks Kossin, learning alot from these posts.:crazyeye:

It looks as though it could be another 0-food start, but I just did the first turn and it looks like the Normalizer kicked in, so it should be bug-free.

Too bad you're not expansive Bismarck. Cheap workers would really speed up your opening with that many trees. I'd go in place since you probably have food in the fog and copper/horses next to your start.

The pictures work just fine, both of them. And I'd like to assume that Imageshack is the most convenient one for you to use.

Given that you'll likely settle in place anyways, I'd just settle first, then decide where to move the scout (towards a hut).

I'd move the scout on either one of the southern hills to reveal what's hidden there and then probably settle 1S to be on the river.

Round 1

There wasn't so much micro to showcase unfortunately. Maybe next game :lol:

Anyway, I sent the scout SW and found corn! Great I thought, I'm going to settle 1S. The turn lost moving will be "gained back" since the worker will be able to move on it immediately and improve it 1 turn sooner.
Spoiler :

And we got an extra cow for moving too!

Starting techs were Ag>AH>BW>TW>Pottery>Writing>...

I meet a neighbor very early...south.
Spoiler :
Good, not a warmonger!

Another neighbor... from the west.
Spoiler :
Bad! Another warmonger!

This guy shows from the west as well, albeit a bit more north than the previous one.
Spoiler :
Guess I can't go a game without Toku in it.

The next neighbor is from another planet.
Spoiler :
Does it ever get any better?

I made a second worker before starting on a settler for chopping... it'd be needed.
Spoiler :
There's copper in the BFC :o

I settled here. Notice there's a worker ready to start improving the pig right away. The other worker was busy making a road towards this location.
Spoiler :

Having a decent amount of trees, Gandhi with barely any units, building wonders and spamming missionaries... chop chop goes the axe!
Spoiler :
Axes! GK only had Chariots and no metal! It's not very good with regards to Diplomacy unfortunately... likely the other will attack me regardless.

I got a GS soon enough (gotta love Philosophical) and debated between an Academy and settling.
Spoiler :

In the end, I made an Academy as the next GS would spawn before I'd be out of gold.

Another day, another falls...
Spoiler :
I have Ivory now!

Meet the neighbors!
Spoiler :

I take another city and negotiate Peace...
Spoiler :

Not a bad haul. The other cities I had no info about or were crappy.

Meet Dr kossin #13!
Spoiler :
What a nice crowd... so many warmongers.

You may have noticed I'd been researching HBR. Obviously there was a reason to it...
Spoiler :

Defended by 1 archer!

GLH is mine!

Took 2 turns to take it, but as you'll see

That's a prize.

I didn't accept the trade, considering taking a Cease Fire and take the rest of his cities.

As usual for the end of the round...
Techs
Spoiler :

Diplomacy
Spoiler :

Overview
Spoiler :

I'm a bit worried about a Toku DoW, but Gandhi is his worst enemy so that might count for something.

Indeed, I also thought 'TMIT, is that you posing as kossin?' :lol:

Very nice to see such amazing warring skill, much to learn for me here, and very nice playing indeed.

I would never even have thought to go for GK first but it makes sense. Also gave Gandhi a bit more time to build you some wonders!

Two of your pics are backwards I think. And it looks like a TMIT game more than a kossin game :lol:
Thanks, fixed now.
Most of my online games tend to start peacefully indeed... I do get tempted from time to time to war early. Here, the setting was just perfect for a rush.

Indeed, I also thought 'TMIT, is that you posing as kossin?' :lol:

Very nice to see such amazing warring skill, much to learn for me here, and very nice playing indeed.
Hehehehe. No! I also considered going after Toku since he's pretty big but since he went Buddhism, he might have some trouble with the Hindu block.

I would never even have thought to go for GK first but it makes sense. Also gave Gandhi a bit more time to build you some wonders!
Exactly. I waited until the Pyramids were built before attacking actually, but it wasn't Gandhi who got them.

Be careful when you extort techs for peace, they all count toward the WFYABTA limit and since this is a pangaea where every potential trade partner is affected..

You have TGL but not sailing? Does it make a difference (assuming you have roads to other trade networks)?

Top Bottom