Dr kossin #29

kossin

Deity
Welcome to Dr kossin #29.

Dr is an acronym for Daily Round. Yes, I mean to get in an update every day to the games I will be playing. Of course there might be some days where I can only play a little or not at all, but I will make up for it those other days when I do have extra time on my hands.

Since the 21st edition of this series, the difficulty level has been cranked all the way up to Deity. I'm not at the point where I can win every game thrown at me on Deity level... I probably can't even win every game thrown at me on Immortal but it is getting a bit boring. My goal is now to achieve competitive skills on this level which should hopefully help me improve more.

You, the reader, can help me achieve this goal by pointing out where I got astray, give suggestions on how to proceed, use complex abstract mathematical analysis to argue, curse at me or anything that you may like. Please note that you must respect the Terms of Service of CFC in any case :)

You may shadow this game and post it here if you please, but I kindly request that you put it in spoiler tags and that anyone reading the report abstain from using information found there to help me out.

Should you want more clarification about something I've done, just ask for it and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Enough talk, on to the game.

Dr kossin #29​

Round 1 Not quite obsolete but still...
Round 2 Trying to catch up
Round 3 Slowly but surely... perhaps
Round 4a A land war in Asia
Round 4b The Culture wars
Round 4c You have 'SDI' you say?

Game settings
Deity
Normal Speed
Fractal
No Events
No Huts
BTS 3.19 with BUG 4.3 in CustomAssets and BULL 1.1
Everything else is normal.

A special thanks to TCMIV who provided the map.

The leader, this time, is:

Please refer to the Carthage Civ IV wiki for more information on this leader/nation.

The start:

Stone in the BFC... perhaps Pyramids will be seen in this game... I can't remember the last time I built them but it's certainly been a while.
I'm assuming either the grassland hill to the west or the no-forest tile north contains an additional food resource or this will be an obsolete start. The land is pretty nice otherwise, with a lot of green and a long twisting river by the looks of it to take advantage of Financial perhaps.

Being close to the eastern coast also means less barbarians which is also good. I don't think moving will be worth it. The warrior can't reveal much by going west right now so sending him NE is probably the best bet here if we want to move him before settling. Otherwise, SIP and move the warrior accordingly.

The river makes a case for not needing TW in time for the second city but we'll have to see what the land has to offer.

Not too sure how to go about techs right now as we need to know if there's a grain-based resource first. It might just be that warrior first is warranted here as Hunting>AH is a bit too long for the first worker.

Only real choice other than settle in place is run to the coast to make use of the cothon.

Wow... Hannibal+Carthage are, imo, the most powerful combo in this game. (Am I wrong?) I've actually quit one of the monarch games with Hannibal just because it felt too easy. (although given that I've lost quite a few monarch games and I only sit on one victory so far, I might reconsider quitting when the game's too easy :))

Anyway... I can't wait to see how this goes at deity and how the cothon influences your tech path after the essentials are researched.

~~~
It is bad that you only get plains cow in the start, although 2 N might yet turn out to be a farmable resource. Maybe warrior 1 NE, to see if settling 1 NW is a good idea?

I'm liking the stone and ample forestry! Cothon is nice, but probably won't come in early enough to necessitate capital location unless compass is used for trade fodder. I see prime cottage real estate along the winding river that will net you enough :hammers: for pyramids too. Financial means those tiles will be nice immediate :commerce:, and solid bureaucracy tech rate

Wow... Hannibal+Carthage are, imo, the most powerful combo in this game. (Am I wrong?) I've actually quit one of the monarch games with Hannibal just because it felt too easy. (although given that I've lost quite a few monarch games and I only sit on one victory so far, I might reconsider quitting when the game's too easy :))

Anyway... I can't wait to see how this goes at deity and how the cothon influences your tech path after the essentials are researched.

~~~
It is bad that you only get plains cow in the start, although 2 N might yet turn out to be a farmable resource. Maybe warrior 1 NE, to see if settling 1 NW is a good idea?
I guess it's personal, but I really don't think Hannibal is the most powerfull leader. For example Inca/Mali/Rome are better imo.

OK, I guess with my eyes closed:

Corn/Rice in 2N
Pig in 1S2W
Horse in 2E
Copper/Iron in 2E1N

Tell me I'm wrong guys :)

Does mids make sense for a financial leader with decent amount of river grassland visible?
Maybe SH for early land grab but w/o myst not sure if you can hookup the stone in time.

~~~

I see him more as mid-tier (perhaps upper part of mid-tier). He can be excellent in the right environment, but I would take India, incas, Persians, Zara, Roosevelt, Egypt, Liz, Freddy, Mehmed, and probably others ahead of him on average.

If 2N has no food, I'd consider SW in the hope for more food (and also to make room for a city on the coast).

Round 1

I moved the warrior NE as I had proposed but didn't find the wanted food resource. I settled in place regardless...
Spoiler :

A double-obsolete start!

AH being too long after Hunting to get in time for a worker, I elected to go warrior first. It stinks but it did give me better exploration and I think I saw 3 barbs in all... no early loss here :)

Early exploration found the neighbors...

West
Spoiler :

East
Spoiler :

Northwest
Spoiler :

On t44, I found an amazing city spot!
Spoiler :

Double-fish, sheep, double gold and silver?!?! Why couldn't that be my capital with less desert :lol:

After AH, I researched BW for chopping and to accelerate settlers (no whip however). Followed by Agriculture>TW>Pottery.

Here's a look at the landmass, t50 circa 2000BC.
Spoiler :

I'm in a pretty tight spot here, the land north is worthless until IW, west is Hammurabi and desert, east is Qin... I need to hurry out settlers or I'll be boxed in at 4~5 cities like the Tokugawa game.

I hurry settlers from Carthage, staying at size 3~4 for a while since I lacked Agriculture for a while. I gave myself some time to research as much as I could before putting down the cities, which killed my research. The settlers were standing by where cities were expected and I hit space every turn until they were needed, like now:
Spoiler :

By t70, my tech is abysmal and I still lack Pottery! Carthage was busy pumping out settlers so I'm low on workers and I'm working a lot of unimproved tiles. Qin has a bunch of units moving around me and he settled the desert area. I'll probably gift him a city to keep him off my back.
Spoiler :

It takes 8 turns but finally Pottery is in.
Spoiler :

I'm gonna cottage a bit... lot. I'm pretty far behind due to no available commerce early on an rushing so many settlers. At least I have decent land and an ok number of cities with the possibility of a few more.
Spoiler :

Techs I have... quite few.
Spoiler :

As usual in my games, I can never seem to get religion spreads... resulting in ugly diplo.
Spoiler :

Anyway, I got carried away and played on but this is the round for now :)

A cookie to Mutineer for correctly guessing the double-cow start. Half-a-cookie to dingding for getting 1/4 correct in his guesses (to be continued...)

Pyramids here would have been hard to manage with the proximity of neighbors. At least, Stone will help Oxford University and perhaps wonder failure gold... or not.

The AIs are soon going to acquire Alphabet and trading is going to start. I'm hoping I can get to Aesthetics not too late to get in the trading circle or I'm going to fall behind hopelessly here...

Ouch at that start. Was feeling good about the leader too (love financial :D). Anyway good luck with it looking forward to seeing how you do.

Looks like easy diplo atleast. One faith, HR/Bureaucracy and you have everyone at friendly. You never seem to get any early aggression towards you anyways!

Looks like a tough start to get all that land quick enough, more food in the capital would have been nice. Saying that I do like plains cow as a resource, 6H for workers and settlers.

I have a question though - why wasn't Utica settled 1SE for more green land and some hills? It totally lacks production there. Is it so borders aren't clashing with Hammurabi?

Top Bottom