Dr kossin #38

Thou shalt not doubt the map generator. Thou shalt be faithful to him and believe in his infinite wisdom, and thou will reap great rewards.

This map is starting to look easy. Wonder if opponents are Shaka, Ragnar, and Genghis Khan. All on your continent. And they all share huge borders with you. :lol:

That looks like a great capital. :D
I have a question which always confuses me in starts like these:
Spoiler :

Very early on, corn > gems/gold/silver, but gems also have a chance of getting covered by jungles if that's the surrounding type of plant.

Will you build a mine on the gems first or will you farm the corn resources?

Spoiler :
Farm the corn first. Food is top priority. Running a mine can be done once you're running the food and have reached another level. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a small city.

Also, like he said, it's all about expansion. Corn is better than gems for building settlers.

... the most important part of the first 100 turns is not research!

I don't think this is a valid reason to be casual about BFC gems. In the first 20-30 turns research is virtually always a horrible bottleneck depending on what food and military techs you have/need, and the choices you're forced into are what makes starts hard to play well. This very early phase is where BFC gems make a huge difference.

Wow, lovely capital! I'd be looking to increase the happy cap ASAP and grow into those five riverside cottages along with the gems for a great bureau capital. Should handle all the early research quite nicely.

Early IW might be necessary here since it looks like a jungle-heavy start. I always seem to be slower than I would like on jungle starts, be good to see how to pull it off most efficiently.

Rofl, what a good choice. Lucky you. That means the city number 2 will grab the 2 gems, bananas and ???? This will be a very solid start. Capital is a bit low on hammers in the end but at start it is good enough, especially with all the extra food. This will be an interesting game.

OMG. That's an awesome capital. About the only thing I can see to complain about, is that the corn isn't wet. And that's not much of a complaint.

With this start, I expect to see you take Fusion from Lib. :p

This looks very nice.
I think we all agree SIP is better but I'm trying to think of the options, anyone care to assist?
Is there any significant gain from settling bananas?
Settling on bananas would net: +1food and option of grasslandforest or river grassland.
SIP nets: +1 food from bananas.
*After border pop: settling 1n will net you 1 more food compared to SIP
After worker+second pop+second improvement is finished (how many rounds?):
You will work gems (settle1n) or the second corn with the option for gems (SIP).

* This is pretty much the window where settling 1n is better.
You'd also have an option for 2x gems+corn pretty early.

On the one hand getting a head start is good even in the long run, on the other, corn is good enough to catch up. How long time does it take for SIP to catch up vs settle1n?

/regards
AndersW

So is there any reason not to do mining-BW here?

Worker first, who goes and farms the 2 corns obviously. Do you go for an early second worker to help chop out settlers? Or just slave them (being IMP)?

*After border pop: settling 1n will net you 1 more food compared to SIP
After worker+second pop+second improvement is finished (how many rounds?):
You will work gems (settle1n) or the second corn with the option for gems (SIP).
Well this isn't true for long... moving 1N loses the southern corn.

* This is pretty much the window where settling 1n is better.
You'd also have an option for 2x gems+corn pretty early.

On the one hand getting a head start is good even in the long run, on the other, corn is good enough to catch up. How long time does it take for SIP to catch up vs settle1n?
The gems will help get the required techs out earlier yes, but that could also have been achieved with city #2 had there been no gems west.
Sure it's an advantage to get them in BFC but you need a worker/settler pump somewhere in your first 2 cities. Whipping away gems hurts and working gems hurts settler/worker production.

SIP will be a much more versatile capital... being Philosophical I can use it early to spawn 2 GS (and a 3rd from another city), it can also help a lot with worker/settler pumping and then it will have enough food to grow fast via HR to become another crazy Bureaucracy capital.

So is there any reason not to do mining-BW here?

Worker first, who goes and farms the 2 corns obviously. Do you go for an early second worker to help chop out settlers? Or just slave them (being IMP)?

Mining>BW>Hunting>Archery
or
Mining>Hunting>Archery>BW
or something else. I need to crunch some numbers before deciding.

The last jungle start [Saladin] was lost due to barbs so I think I want to be a bit more careful this time.

The extra worker is interesting but even being Imp I think we shouldn't waste all the forests for expansion. Whipping this capital early on will be faster than chopping... imo no more than ~6 forests should be chopped for expanding here. That includes possible Archers.

The extra forests can be used for... growing (health bonus for a while) or a wonder(s).
TGL and Oracle come in mind.

Yes research isn't a problem. I just need to figure out what I'll do with the spare hammers in the meantime. Obviously warriors wouldn't be a very wise use of hammers so maybe that second worker will come to life.

Why are early warriors not a good option in this case? The earlier you can get them out the earlier you can go spawnbusting, resulting in less barbs? Also the jungle should help you because it's +50% defense bonus --> warrior vs archer = 50%. On a jungle hill you even have winning odds. But since you're the deity player here, i'll assume you're right. The only question is why? :p

I'm guessing here.

Seeing as I'm in jungle, there's bound to be quite a bit of land south and north, possibly east and west too.

No clue on AI proximity either of course.

If there's 20+ tiles in a direction without an AI, barbs won't be able to do the job or I'll have to build so much it'll cost a fortune in hammers/upkeep.

After Mining I'll have an idea of the surroundings, if I met an AI or more etc.

@kossin I tried your map, WBed it so I could play it on prince, leaving everything intact and i think you have to be sick to play it on deity...
But am very eager to see how you will play first 75 turns :).

Top Bottom