Dr kossin Bullpen

Arboria: so much green land. Does this actually hinder the AI? I know they're not the best forest choppers out there but still. I'd have to try it at least before cranking up the difficulty to Deity.

Tectonics: I've been looking at this map type lately and either you get a great start or you get crumbs. I mean, I generated a few just now and look at this BFC Justinian got:
Spoiler :
14 hills! Almost all of them plains. For food: 2 sheep, 3 wine and 4 riverside grasslands. And note that I picked 'wet' setting for this.

I don't mind playing Tectonics too much but I don't like garbage starts or surroundings for myself too much, or even for the AI.
70% water tends to generate 2 landmasses where everyone is cramped together at 7~8 tile distance. On Deity this must be hell!
60% looks a bit less funky but there are still very weird starts.
The other options don't look that appealing.

That being said I'll go with either Arboria or Tectonics 60%/wet on Immortal. If it's too easy then I might re-boot the game and go on Deity and start accumulating Losses :lol:

I recommended deity because w/ Cathy you can expand pretty damn good w/ so much forests to chop and you even start w/ mining, so can tech BW immediately.
I think arboria would be too easy on immortal.

Give human all green land and he will complain about it being to easy cottage spam.

Show him few brown tiles and he regenerates map...

Tectonics are not balance map. Yet, 60% wet is playable. By not being "balanced" it is less boring for me. That does not mean everyone should follow mine criteria.

Long time listener, first time poster. I have a quick question that I hope won't derail the thread. Where is the option for Techtonics? Is it something new with the 3.19 patch?

I believe Tectonics became available with patch 3.17. If you aren't using 3.19, I'd recommend getting it. While there are a few bugs (overflow hammers to gold, barrage removed from certain units) other features (vassals are actually useful for trading, no CD required,...) make up for it imo.

Dr kossin #20 is now up!

Dr kossin #20 is now over.
I'm a bit disappointed by Tectonics 60% water, the AI really fares poorly in some of the starts given to them while they can also become huge without need for war. I'll look at a few more 70% maps in worldbuilder but, just like Global_Highlands, I think I'm done with this mapscript. There's no fun in micromanaging 27 city sized empires where you're barely ahead of the next AI in pop for me. I like Standard sized maps and not too much land.

The next leader in line is Montezuma. I suppose I'll have to whip a few things here and there...

Map type: I haven't made my mind on this. I'm up for more suggestions else I'll go Fractal.

Fractal it is. I'll edit this post with the link in a few moments.

On a side note, I'm starting to consider going to Deity but unless I get 'fair' maps, things could end very quickly in general.

EDIT:

Dr kossin #21 is now up!

After getting consecutive 10+ cities full-of-resources starts, I've decided to try bumping the difficulty level up to Deity.

I don't fare so well on Deity right now so I'd like to use non-isolated or partially isolated maps for the moment and preferably ones that don't stuck you on the end of a peninsula with 3 cities, no metals and Shaka next door with Copper in his BFC. Basically, starts that will at least allow me to live until 1AD.

There are a few ways I can go about this. The easiest is to have someone generate a map and check in worldbuilder that those conditions are met.

I can also generate a few maps, post them and have someone tell me which save I should use.

Or I can start a random map, play it a bit to see it's playable and then post it online.

Lastly, I can just generate a bunch of maps (30+), check them in worldbuilder and then play them. With so many start I'm bound to forget which map is which and any details but I'd prefer not to pick this option.

If you're interested in doing any of the above, please reply here or pm me to work out the arrangements. Or you can also just post the save here.

Its a good job your making the maps on the cookbooks or you would just be shadowing on this kind of performance. Wow

Montezuma has triumphed over the Deity AIs.

Next leader in the line-up is Pacal (Fin/Exp). Holkans are resourceless which is good... granaries are fast, workers as well and cottages get a bonus.

If anyone is willing to generate a Deity Fractal map (No Events, No huts) and check for no isolation/semi-isolation (as well as no bogus start -> blocked in at 1 city with no metals/horses next to Shaka with plenty of militaristic resources), you're more than welcome to upload it here so I can use it for the next game.

Otherwise I can generate a few maps for the next game and ask someone to select one to play.

...or I'll generate one, play some turns and use that one.

I've generated two starts for you, very first two that I tried. Both fit your criteria, second has a river and plains hill under the settler for a better start if you prefer that.

Attachments

• Kossin1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    32.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Kossin2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Kossin1.JPG
    Kossin1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Kossin2.JPG
    Kossin2.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 128
After an intense early game, Dr kossin #22 came to a close with a knife-edged culture win.

Next game starts tomorrow and features Ragnar (Fin/Agg).

Again, if someone is willing to generate a map, it'd be appreciated even if it is another toughie :)

Copy-paste of criterias from 3 posts above.
Spoiler :
If anyone is willing to generate a Deity Fractal map (No Events, No huts) and check for no isolation/semi-isolation (as well as no bogus start -> blocked in at 1 city with no metals/horses next to Shaka with plenty of militaristic resources), you're more than welcome to upload it here so I can use it for the next game.

Otherwise I can generate a few maps for the next game and ask someone to select one to play.

...or I'll generate one, play some turns and use that one.

Here's a reasonable one I drew:

I had to regenerate a bunch of times, for it gave me isolation like 10 times in a row, and one 10 tiles from monty. Don't worry I didn't regenerate the monty one, I started a new game, but he may be in this game still! :p

Attachments

• kossin BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    36.9 KB · Views: 60
Hey Kos -

I'm uploading a candidate for 23. I believe this setup meets your specs. Interesting map I rolled for a Fractal - very different from what I usually role for this script which I play frequently. Appears almost as if it will play almost like another type of popular map. I like the rival AIs and they are all different from the last game I believe.

One reason I'm doing this is I really haven't done this before for balance checks so i wanted to give it a shot. I think resources are okay. It does have one of your "friends" but I think it's manageable and..well...every game needs a "friend" or two.

The save is BUG 4.2 and Bull.

EDIT: I just realized that this one is Epic speed. I forget that this defaults as I usually play that speed. You could try it for a change of pace or I guess go with Big's.

Attachments

• Dr Kossin23 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.5 KB · Views: 73
@BigTime - the save was created using BUG 4.2 as a mod not in CustomAssets. While I can work around that, I like having saves that can be freely opened without requiring complications.
Can you WB edit it out [ModPath=] and give barbarians appropriate techs[Wheel,Ag,Hunting,Archery]?

@Lymond - is that 'friend' or 'fiend' :p
While it's always possible to assume there's a militaristic inclined civ on the map, I don't really like being guaranteed that there is one... somewhat of a spoiler (but that doesn't really change anything.)
I used to exclusively play Epic (and I still feel it's the speed that most feels like Civ - you can't fly by an entire era by bulbing through it easily), I don't play it anymore and timing would be an issue for me on Deity. The biggest issue I have with it actually is the time required to play those 100~200 extra turns to achieve the same Victory Condition.
If you can WB it to Normal speed and add correct techs to Barbarians[Wheel,Ag,Hunting,Archery] I'll consider it as well.

Top Bottom