1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Draftable King Units?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by MartinLuther, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

So I had an idea of a special kind of unit that you can't build and can only draft. My idea was that it'd be a draftable king unit but I don't know if

1) you can even draft King units
    2) you can draft King units but only once since they're king units

2. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Unfortunately, you have to be able to build it to draft it. I tried making king units for drafting years ago and it was a no go.

MartinLuther likes this.
  3. MartinLuther

I guess I could make them Auto-Produce

4. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Yes, king units can be autoproduced.
    But they will be labeled with the name of ruler/king/queen/whateverincharge.

You can also upgrade a "normal" unit into a king unit. This will result in a correct named king unit.

For example: The Shipyard(Dreadnought) autoproduced every 15 turns a Hull (normal unit, can not be build manually).
    This Hull can than be upgraded into a Superdreadnought (king unit) in different flavours (Nagato, Admiral, Bayern usw.).
    Following Advanced Flight it upgraded instead into an Aircraft Carrier (Kaga, Ark Royal, Graf Zeppelin usw.).

But since no plan survives its first contact with the enemy, I had to replace the immobile Hull with a ready to run Helgoland Dreadnought, because the KI tends to put their Hulls and Aircraft Parts into long time storage. :(

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  5. MartinLuther

There's my problem: I wanted mercenaries so the player and AI will fight proxy wars. Perhaps what I could do is just do the Statue of Zeus/The Crusades thing where no one can build the unit without the wonder.

6. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Then I would suggest a similar solution as I have in my Shipyard. ;)
    While the KI sometimes uses the ready to run Helgoland, they upgrade most of them to their Superdreadnought version (unlike the Hull).

Let the Mercenary Agency autopproduce a weaker non-king unit ("Mercenary in training" ? ;) ), that can not be build manually. Then give a free update into the king unit "crazy prepared psycho Mercenary".

MartinLuther likes this.
  7. MartinLuther

That could work. The upgrade could be them being contracted.

8. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I have an (untested!) idea.

Have you tried, to add the "Mercenary in training" as normal buildable and draftable unit, that upgrades into the "Crazy prepared psycho Mercenary" (including flavor variants)?

9. MartinLuther

No, why?

10. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I've not tested it, but one thing which may work is this:

1. make a unit which can be drafted, a normal unit available to whoever you want to use it, no king flag.

2. make it upgrade to a unit which is able to be built before its own tech can be researched, requiring the same resources/no resources (e.g. the Warrior in the default game)

3. don't give it the flag allowing it to upgrade

If my theory is right, the game should still recognize it as a buildable unit (because it doesn't have the king flag) and also the most recent available draft choice (since whatever is higher in the upgrade chain and available can't be drafted).

11. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Sorry, forget the "can not build" part. ;)

Another possibility of semi-drafting could be to able to build the mercenary normal, but with both shields and population points (similar to workers and settlers).

12. MartinLuther

Nah, the AI would literally keep building them until there's no population left.