Dragonia for CIV5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Darque, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Darque

Darque Chaotic Lord of Dragonia

I have decided to give it a go to port my Dragonia mod to Civ 5.

Anyone interested in helping out? Most of what I would need help with is regarding converting the units from Civ4 to Civ5, and also with ideas on how to implement ideas such as alignment, religion, government and magic.

As I figure out how I plan on doing things, I'll post them here as well.

2. Skajaquada

Skajaquada Crazy Engineer

I've been thinking on a magic-system for my WH40K-mod and recently I got an idea I like. The tricky part is doing something the AI have any chance of understanding naturally. I figured I could use the Promotion-table and have some magic-like abilities, then block them somehow (maybe setting tech-prereq to something you can't get) so you can't get them by levelling up and instead award (preferably give option to select like the normal promotions) them to units some turns after they're built and the abilities are "used", then also set an expiration-timer before they're removed from the unit. It should then work like a normal fantasy magic-system (gain mana with time, use mana on spells, spells time out). Then hopefully the AI will use them as intelligibly as it picks the normal promotions.

Religion and alignment? I'd love to have that in WH40K too. Perhaps there are some functions that affect how much the AI-player likes you and you can just fire them whenever policies and techs are adopted. Religion, again probably best to give with policies and techs and just let it spread around and do whatever it does without having too much of the impact based on the player's action because the AI probably can't take advantage of it.

I saw in a Dragonia mod-thread you had a magic tech-tree. There are many ways to completely separate tech-trees in Civ 5... Since promotions can have tech-prereq I think it could be nicely motivated with a separate tech-tree for the magic-promotion I mentioned up there.

Another slightly random thing, there seem to be an unhappiness attribute for the unit-table. I was thinking calling Happiness "Purity" or whatever then have certain units like Daemons only give that unhappiness. It also seem very fantasy, just mentioning it in-case anyone can expand on it. It wouldn't be that fun with something that's identical to happiness in every other way but this.

3. Darque

Darque Chaotic Lord of Dragonia

In the Dragonia for Civ4 I did alignment only as a tech. I used it as a way to make sure certain techs, units, buildings and wonders were only available for certain alignments.

For Civ5 I think I'll play around with the policy feature for alignment. Hopefully there can also be a way to have units, buildings and wonders have a dependancy on a policy.

I think it could be interesting playing around with the happiness system as well. I'll have to look into it.

4. Skajaquada

Skajaquada Crazy Engineer

It'd be fun to hear how it turns out. I was thinking of having a repeatable policy give fighting units like the great general so it'd be like a mercenary-system. I don't think you can directly unlock build-able units with policies though there might be some on-adopted event or perhaps you can keep track of them somehow, then give a free hidden tech that allows you to build a unit. The UI at-least is dead simple to mod so whatever happens you can hide whatever you want even if you have to hard-code the text-string for the items to hide.