Drawing AI Defenders Away From Capitals

Sporaticus

Drooling Barbarian
What is your favorite tactic for drawing AI defenders away from their capital cities?

I have had some luck with bribing the Japanese AI (on a duel map) to declare war on a nearby CS, then waiting a few turns to move my 5 warriors in for the kill (I am trying for a sub-50-turn finish on Diety). I tried the same tactic with Mongolia, but they did not take the bait. They were more than happy to declare war, but their defenders continued to circle their own capital like angry hornets. I'm not going to bother with trying this with India, Siam or Greece, since I do not expect them to DoW on a CS under any circumstance.

This is an experiment in progress:

1) Plant a city right next to them (as in, their capital). Close enough will do.

2) Declare war on them

3) KILL EVERYTHING THAT COMES YOUR WAY. Make sure most of your units survive though, maximize the advantages of local terrain and maybe wonders like Great Wall if you have them.

4) Use workers as meatshield baits up front. Back them up with archers so you can KILL EVERYTHING THAT NABS THEM without exposing your own forces to possible kill boxes or fire zones. Get a melee unit a tile away to take back worker if it wasn't deleted. Rinse, repeat.

5) The moment they ask for Peace, refuse. In fact, don't stop until you have their capital laid open and in your hands.

6) When you feel like sufficient forces have reached its critical mass (lots of Pikemen and Swordsmen/Longswords ie. try 6 swords, 4 Pikes and 2-4 Catapults), begin pushing your way into the capital. Remember to have worker baits advance at all times. If you're using a veritable force of horsemen or Keshiks, even better.

7) Whenever possible, PILLAGE EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom